Menu

Need help with 6th grade

Avila

I set up the plan for 6th grade, and it looks fine on paper. But it is only taking my DD 2-3 hours a day to finish everything, and I can't decide if we took it too easy or if the work will get harder as we go along. We are in week 3. Here is what she is doing:

R&S English 6 (a lesson a day)

Dictation (studied dictation, 2x weekly)

Shakespeare course (reads one play from Tales of Shakespeare and writes a one-page summary every week)

Saxon Math 76 (a lesson a day)

Harcourt Science 6 (2-3 times a week)

MODG Religion (reading chapters of the Gospels and writing summaries mostly)

Faith and Life 6 (one chapter a week and a quiz)

Middle Ages history (my own plan but workload is similar to HO MA 2, done every day)

Online Spanish (30 minutes a few times a week)

Typing Instructor (30 minutes a few times a week)

ETA: Art (once a week) and music (once a week)

I didn't do vocabulary or spelling for this year because she was so far ahead in those areas, but I could add those back in, if necessary. We aren't doing a separate writing program, but she is writing in at least one major subject every day (English, religion or history). I could add in Latin, but she hates it, so we switched to Spanish for this year. And she does read heavily in history and for fun, which I am not counting in the totals. We will also be adding in Spanish Club, PE, Youth Group and a Homeschool Book Club in a few weeks.

This is my first experience in teaching middle school, and I don't want to screw it up! So thanks for any and all help here.

Edited by Asenik

Thanks, Kathy. I did forget Art and music in my post. We are doing some drawing once a week and either composer study or listening to classical music once a week all together.

It seems like plenty when I write it out, but not when she gets done with school before lunch. Then it drives me a little crazy.

IMO, 3 hours a day for 6th grade is just fine. I suppose you could add in art or music. Once your activities begin in a few weeks, though, you might find you have plenty!

:iagree: Some children simply work faster than others. Her course load looks appropriate, and from what you said she uses her free time well. Don't fix what isn't broken. :001_smile:

:iagree: Some children simply work faster than others. Her course load looks appropriate, and from what you said she uses her free time well. Don't fix what isn't broken. :001_smile:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would rather see her finish quickly, than load her down with busywork or additional subjects that aren't really necessary. Your course load is excellent as it is, and I wouldn't punish your dd for finishing earlier in the day than you'd prefer by giving her more work. It will only backfire on you in the long run, as your dd may start to dread the longer school day, and balk at doing any of her work.

My ds has always finished his work before lunchtime, and I think it's great! We're able to do so many other things as a family that way.

Cat

:iagree:Sounds like she is well organized. That course load would take much longer in my household due to personalities. The only thing I might add and you could even hold off a year, is study skills. Helping to make sure she knows how to manage her time well, research on her own, meet project deadlines, stuff like that.

The only other subject I might add would be logic. I wouldn't do formal logic at that age, but maybe Art of Argument, Fallacy Detective, or some other critical thinking books.