Menu

MCT again! So the basic package or the complete?

mamapjama

My plan for my 9yo is to get the basic package this year cause she will need more one on one anyway. Then for town level up I will get the complete packages as the kiddos become more independent and don't need me there 100% of the time to do the lesson. So this year for my 9yo I got town basic package and for my 12yo I got the town complete package (she needs remediation so we are starting small and working through at her pace)

so from what I gather if you are ok with sharing one book with the kiddo then basic is ok but for more independent work get the student book too

Basic, Basic, you only need Basic. :D

If you decided you didn't really need Building Language (the weakest book in the whole MCT line-up - it only covers 10 stems) - you could save even a bit more.

ONLY Teacher's Guides for all the books except the Practice book where you get both (and you could even get away with just the TG for that if you didn't mind doing it on a white board instead of in the book).

My plan for my 9yo is to get the basic package this year cause she will need more one on one anyway. Then for town level up I will get the complete packages as the kiddos become more independent and don't need me there 100% of the time to do the lesson. So this year for my 9yo I got town basic package and for my 12yo I got the town complete package (she needs remediation so we are starting small and working through at her pace)

so from what I gather if you are ok with sharing one book with the kiddo then basic is ok but for more independent work get the student book too

:iagree:

I got the basic package for the Island level. It was fine, but there were a few days that I wished I'd gotten the complete package (for minor reasons). I bought the complete package for Town level. I could have used just the TM for some of the books (like the grammar book). But, I think the poetry book is especially nice to have a separate student book--the little bubbles with notes to the teacher sort of ruin the artistry of it.

But really, if price is a concern, you can put up with the minor annoyances and get just the basic package.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Basic for Town, which is the only level we are "done" with. We're doing Island & Voyage this year, so I can't really say on those, but I only bought the basic, assuming the authors were correct in their categorizations.

However, for Paragraph Town, I have had to retype a dozen or so grammar exercises and a dozen or so sentences for analysis b/c the TM has the correct answers bolded so they are pretty unusable in that form. It only took me an hour or two (in front of a movie) to do all that typing, and it is easy then to print for each child, so I wouldn't have bought the Student Book even if I had known of the issue. If you don't want to have to do that, then add the Student book for Paragraph Town.

HTH

However, for Paragraph Town, I have had to retype a dozen or so grammar exercises and a dozen or so sentences for analysis b/c the TM has the correct answers bolded so they are pretty unusable in that form. It only took me an hour or two (in front of a movie) to do all that typing, and it is easy then to print for each child, so I wouldn't have bought the Student Book even if I had known of the issue. If you don't want to have to do that, then add the Student book for Paragraph Town.

HTH

Same is true for Sentence Island.