Menu

History...yes again. Does this exist?

hsmom

I want American History program for a first grader using good books, with activities, well laid out and easy to follow guide. I am not looking for a list or a suggestion I want it to be almost scripted to the point I know what is next and there is no questions of being on the right track. Oh, and I am not looking for something I have to search everything out or print out. I want to buy the program open it and use it. Well go to the library if need be and gather a few activity supplies. I am not stressing on whether it is secular or not. I just want a really good program that we will enjoy.

I was going to try to do it myself, but I am having a heck of a time getting all my books in the right order making sure I cover what is needed when, add activities, and not make it a mess. So, I have decided I will just buy one. I feel as if I spend way too much time trying to get this to work, with not so great of an outcome.

I looked into Beautiful Feet, I even have the guide. Yet I want something more. I want more too it. Not just a read this now and ask a few questions or do writing. My little guy is still a beginning writer and I try not too over do that part. Now he loves books and loves to sit and listen to them. I thought about Sonlight, but it really is about only the books no activities.

I know I am asking too much right? Well I figured if anyone knows of anything like this it would be here!:D

we are using BF but added in the Time Travelers cd's for activities. So far my children love Leif the Lucky and really liked doing the coloring. I made copies of the D'Aulaire pages as suggested and put them in our files for the correct weeks and days. That has helped. I also typed the scriptures for copywork using a penmanship font I downloaded. We just began on Monday and we've only done one TT activity, but I thought it was a hit! I love the BF book selections!

Have you looked at Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory from Heart of Dakota publishers? It's not secular and it's more than history, but it may be an option for you. The spine books are storybook like, just perfect for young students. The Storytime titles are wonderful. There are several book sets from which you can choose but after that one choice, it's all laid out for you. I highly recommend it.

http://www.heartofdakota.com/byd-little-hearts.php - a description of the program

http://www.heartofdakota.com/byd-little-hearts-packages.php - the books

I was going to suggest Winters Promise too, but I think the suggestion to use the Time Traveler CD's is a great one too (albeit it a bit expensive if you cover a broad expanse of Amer. History this year and want more than a couple cd's).

I think MFW has an American History program geared for 2-3rd graders, however, I think most of MFW that I've previewed can be used younger.

Guest Hollow.com has a free and great looking program that includes a schedule, book and video lists, and activities. I think you could tweak it as you see fit or go with it as is.

http://www.guesthollow.com/

This site has a very nice (and free!) 2 year schedule for covering American history. The family who shares it consider hands-on activities an important part of the total curriculum, so those things are included - actually, there are so many I think you would want to pick and choose.

It's for 2nd-6th graders, but if you drop a few of the harder things, it would be just fine for a first grader. For example, I took a peek at Week 9 (Vikings), and the scheduled books are Leif the Lucky, The Discovery of the Americas, and chapter 1 of This Country of Ours is one of the scheduled books - the first two are good for a 1st grader, and you could drop the text.

Blessings,

Laura