Menu

DS2 : Hives have lasted about 3 weeks

DS2 asked me to write this post because he figures you all have a wealth of information about this subject.

DS2 is allergic to latex, and he was exposed to it accidentally at the dentist's office about 3 weeks ago. One of his symptoms was hives across his back. This is the first time he has ever had hives.

The hives are still there. Benedryl does not help. Hydrocortisone cream does not help. Cool showers do not help. Our house is air conditioned, so heat isn't causing it. He doesn't tromp around in the woods or pastureland, so plants in a relatively new environment aren't causing it. He says the hives feel "sort of like a light sunburn" if he touches (or his brothers slap) his back. They do not itch. He has to ask me if they are still there.

DS2 has no other allergies and no other symptoms. He is not taking any medications, vitamins or supplements. His diet has not changed, and neither have my household cleaners or laundry detergent. The hives just appeared with that latex allergy attack, and although the other symptoms disappeared quickly, the hives did not.

I looked up hives on the Mayo Clinic's website, and that is definitely what he has. He is going to the doctor for a routine physical on August 13.

Is there anything else we should be doing to treat this in the meantime? Should we consider letting the doctor do allergy testing on him, if that is suggested? If not, why not? We don't have health insurance, so we can't afford all sorts of unnecessary or frivolous tests, or fishing expeditions. I will find the money for necessary medical treatment.

Thank you for your help,

RC

Hives itch. Horribly. I'm talking skin ripping itch. I've got cold urticaria so hives are a big part of my life.

I'd take him to the doc. As a person who experiences hives on probably a bi-weekly basis I'd think they are not hives.

ETA: I'm not saying this to give medical advice, but some of the stuff I take for the worst of it I get OTC. I take a cocktail of 2 Benedryl, 1 Zyrtec, and 2 Zantac (yes, the heartburn medicine).

Edited by Parrothead

I have to agree to Chucki, doesn't sound like hives to me. I have allergic reations to shellfish and iodine and get hives. They itch like chicken pox. Horrible, want to rip you skin off itching. I also take 2 Benedryl and a Zyrtek and it still doesn't relieve the itching. I have never heard of anyone having hives that didn't itch.

I had chronic hives last year. I had them for months. I finally went to my naturopath, and she had me drink a gallon of real apple cider a day for two days. According to her, my liver was taxed because my allergies were particularly bad that year and the apple cider flushes your liver. It might sound strange, but it did work when nothing else did.

DS2 said the hives itched when he read your posts. Otherwise, the only time they itched was during the first few days, and benedryl made the itching go away. The thing is, the appearance of these "hives" has not changed in 3 weeks. I took a picture of them the first day, and I think I'll take another one and compare them just to be sure it hasn't gotten slowly better. I know it isn't worse.

Since his symptoms are not really bothering him, do you all think it is okay if we wait until the 8/13 appointment to take him to the doctor?

DS2 said the hives itched when he read your posts. Otherwise, the only time they itched was during the first few days, and benedryl made the itching go away. The thing is, the appearance of these "hives" has not changed in 3 weeks. I took a picture of them the first day, and I think I'll take another one and compare them just to be sure it hasn't gotten slowly better. I know it isn't worse.

Since his symptoms are not really bothering him, do you all think it is okay if we wait until the 8/13 appointment to take him to the doctor?

I say that if they aren't really bothering him and his breathing is ok then it is fine to wait until the dr. appt.

There are different types of hives... or different ways I've had them at least. I had them more when I was younger.... I've had raised ones that look like a million mosquitos bit me. I've had ones that are not really raised too much... that look like a rash (but they were surely hives!) I've had ones that aren't so "mountainy" on me... more spread out. I had hives that would go away when I was outside... but would come back inside... (and "inside" is used lightly.... over the time that I was inside... it was in different hotel rooms, in restaurants and then at home... so not the same environment)

Hives are crazy! I know sometimes they've been stress induced... perhaps other food?? We never really could figure it out.... Only once did I know that it was REALLY stress... The night before a test... Other than that.... ugh!!

:)

she had me drink a gallon of real apple cider a day for two days.

We have been searching for apple cider in the stores here for months, to no avail. It must not be the right season or there is not a strong market for it here in the boonies.

We'll venture further afield if need be, though.

My son got hives from exposure to a food allergen several years ago that hung on for an impossibly long time that would be discouraging to your son. My father had a similar experience with exposure to a medication allergen. My son has also had hive reactions that went away much faster. But there is something the doctor explained about hives in that your body can just keep going with the cycle long after initial exposure.

General information about hives beyond that they can last and last: Zyrtec controls hives much better than benadryl because it isn't dosed continually/stays in the body longer. We had to do it for a very long time as did my dad. On another serious reaction with my son we had to do oral steroids and that knocked the hives right out I felt. Most hives are actual of unknown cause and not likely allergic but given they arrived with exposure to latex does make a person think allergic.

And now I'm going to say that I'm entirely stumped by allergy related hives that don't respond to benadryl. That the itching was helped sounds correct but that they remained is really strange. And then that they are still there and not itching is also extremely strange. Hives that don't respond to benadryl would be really, really unusual I would think.

My son had a pretty significant allergy skin reaction to we think latex not long ago. The doctor diagnosed a specific name of a skin related allergic reaction that wasn't hives and could take a long time to disappear but I think they were single spots and would grow or something. His went away within a few days which I was told not to expect. This reaction had to do with the body sending immune cells to the area or something like that. I wish I could remember the name. I can't remember for anything--it started with an E! I wonder if your son is experiencing something like that. Is the area swollen under the skin? Ringed at all?

Edited by sbgrace

My 15yo had a massive hives reaction to soy (this is when she was diagnosed). Her legs were covered. With treatment (benadryl, zyrtec and zantac) the hives still lingered for 3-4 weeks. In fact, they changed form from a red raised rash to deep purple splotches. The allergist actually biopsied her skin to make sure it hadn't morphed into something really nasty (note to self: never ever google what the doctor mutters). Her skin is very fair and shows scars from the hives three years later.

When dd10 had a reaction to a medication, the hives lasted for about 3 weeks, but it gradually disappeared over that time.

I'm pretty sure it is hives because I've seen numerous photos on the internet that match DS2's back exactly. Admittedly, this is the first time I've ever seen hives and I had no idea what they looked like before this.

I compared his back today with when this happened on July 13. His back is no longer red and the hives have faded.

I just gave him a Zyrtek. It's a 24-hour pill, so I'll wait until tonight to give him Benadryl because it makes him sleepy and he has to be awake to enjoy his restful day.

I'll pick up some Domeboro Solution when I go to town today. I hope one of the drugstores has it.

He has not been feeling stressed out or eaten any foods other than the same ones he has always eaten (he is an extremely picky eater). He feels healthy as can be.

According to the Mayo Clinic, hives can last as long as 3 weeks, and are not considered chronic until they have been present for 6 weeks or more. So, hopefully, these will go away.

DS2 and I thank you all for your help.

RC

Well, hope your son gets better soon.

I got the most horrible cases of hives 3 days post-partum on the same day that I ate some strange cookies (so, possibly related?). The itch and rash was horrific and had me in tears and near desperation on day two. I ended up taking claritin which was OK for the breastfeeding and was told it'd be out of my system within two weeks. Well, now I am 7 weeks post-partum and get the raised spots that itch. I am still taking claritin, but just curious and dumb-founded over what is going on with my body.

If they came up and stayed in the same place and are not itchy I think it's less likely hives. Hives tend to come and go ("effervescent" is often the way they are described) and they are typically very itchy.

Erythema Multiforme is another possiblity. Looks very similar to hives and is often mistaken for hives but tends to stay in one place, not respond to Benadryl and not be as itchy. Can be from an allergen exposure, a virus or an unknown cause. These aren't the best pictures but the best I could quickly find online. http://www.dermnet.com/Erythema-Multiforme

Either way if he's feeling fine and not bothered by it, it's probably fine to wait until your appointment next week.

When ds had his anaphylactic reaction to cashews, he had hives that were incredibly itchy at first (although IV Benadryl makes that stop), but it then took 3 days for the discoloration to go away. So it may be possible that they were hives that now just are taking time to heal.

I'd be sure you carry an Epi-pen though. Latex allergies can be really bad.

I'm pretty sure it is hives because I've seen numerous photos on the internet that match DS2's back exactly. Admittedly, this is the first time I've ever seen hives and I had no idea what they looked like before this.

I compared his back today with when this happened on July 13. His back is no longer red and the hives have faded.

I just gave him a Zyrtek. It's a 24-hour pill, so I'll wait until tonight to give him Benadryl because it makes him sleepy and he has to be awake to enjoy his restful day.

I'll pick up some Domeboro Solution when I go to town today. I hope one of the drugstores has it.

He has not been feeling stressed out or eaten any foods other than the same ones he has always eaten (he is an extremely picky eater). He feels healthy as can be.

According to the Mayo Clinic, hives can last as long as 3 weeks, and are not considered chronic until they have been present for 6 weeks or more. So, hopefully, these will go away.

DS2 and I thank you all for your help.

RC

My dd31 has had bouts with hives since she was a little girl. That's how I began using the Domeboro solution. A few years ago, when she was in her first year of med school (so she was like 22 y/o), the night before her first exam, she called me in a panic - she was covered head to toe with hives. Her dh took her to the ER and she was given a cortisone shot I think - my point is that, we've never been able to find out what has caused all the different bouts with them, but we are sure the med school bout was due to stress. Hope your little guy feels better.:)

My ds had hives for over 3 weeks last summer.

He would get them everytime he had penicillin...but would only get them on the very last day, the very last dose of penicillin. My group of doctors 'insisted' that since it developed that late into taking the med. that it 'couldn't' be from the pencillin:glare:.

The hives would be very minor...lasting like a day or maybe two, until that last time when he suddenly got them horribly bad over ALL his body. Well when he got them the last time they said 'well, he's allergic to pencillin. If he ever has it again he could go into anaphylactic shock.'

I'd take him to a dr. (just maybe not mine...grrrr.)

Edited by Homemama2

If they came up and stayed in the same place and are not itchy I think it's less likely hives. Hives tend to come and go ("effervescent" is often the way they are described) and they are typically very itchy.

Erythema Multiforme is another possiblity. Looks very similar to hives and is often mistaken for hives but tends to stay in one place, not respond to Benadryl and not be as itchy. Can be from an allergen exposure, a virus or an unknown cause. These aren't the best pictures but the best I could quickly find online. http://www.dermnet.com/Erythema-Multiforme

Either way if he's feeling fine and not bothered by it, it's probably fine to wait until your appointment next week.

That's the name I couldn't remember--my son had a reaction to latex that was Erythema Multiforme. It itched a bit but nothing like hives and after a time not at all. It did not respond to his zyrtec like hives. The doctor told us to expect it to last for a while but in his case it lasted for about four days.

Ok--this is what he got from latex and it was dx'd Erythema Multiforme and this was on day three so almost done for us at this point.

th_165_6551.jpg it had been 12 spots that became one big one essentially but you could see the smaller parts still though not in this picture. This is on day 3 so at the end of the whole mess. Not itchy except for the first day and mild compared to his hive reactions. This did not respond to either benadryl or zyrtec like his hives do but that might have helped itching possibly. The doctor said he could prescribe atarax if it was itchy. I have no clue what Atarax is and we didn't need it because it really wasn't bothering my son too much at that point. We were told this would take a long time to disappear and might keep growing but in our case it didn't.

As she said above hives move around and come and go typically. Ours would disappear and appear in different spaces even while sitting in an allergists office for example. This "thing" was in the same location the entire time though it did get bigger.

Edited by sbgrace