Menu

Is it just me, or is the DVD which accompanies Traditional Logic akin to torture?

I used it as a threat -- if you're not willing to do the work, I'll make you watch the DVD...maybe even more than once! She thanked me profusely for not subjecting her to that agony.

It's AWFUL!!

To take a subject that Peter Kreeft makes so much fun and make it soooo dry.... pure agony.

Jenn in IN

Not only boring, but utterly useless. All it does is repeat almost verbatim what is in the book. Who needs that if you have the book??? Can they not make a dvd that actually *explains* the book? Elucidates....amplifies...? and boring to boot....but I said that already.

We learned lots of synonyms for "boring" because of it. When my ds gets home from soccer practice, I'll ask him about TL2's DVD and whether he needed it as the concepts got harder.

Threatening them with the DVD? Hmmmm.....I might have to try that one!!:lol:

ChemMommy's Son here:

Yes, the DVDs are extremely boring! From a student's perspective, you don't have to get the DVDs. I have found that if you read the book you will do fine. With the TL1 DVD, I watched a few, but I don't think it is necessary. As for the TL2 DVD, I have not watched one single lesson and I am still doing fine. I did have to read back a few times, but other than that I have not had any trouble.

I like them. We got to know Martin well--his dogs and cats and...

Really, I only used the DVDs for book 2, and then I used it so that I did not have to reread the chapters. I worked through both books with kid1 and listened to the book2 DVDs with the next 2 kids so that I knew what they were going to be doing. It helped me explain things and refreshed my memory on those more complex forms...and I could watch while making a meal or doing other work, so I didn't have to find time to review the chapter.

I'd buy the 2nd set again. My kids didn't complain, but they did come up with some interesting names for the author...

Jean

ChemMommy's Son here:

Yes, the DVDs are extremely boring! From a student's perspective, you don't have to get the DVDs. I have found that if you read the book you will do fine. With the TL1 DVD, I watched a few, but I don't think it is necessary. As for the TL2 DVD, I have not watched one single lesson and I am still doing fine. I did have to read back a few times, but other than that I have not had any trouble.

Thanks! You just saved me almost $40! Hopefully, I am 'logical' enough to get it without the help. Or should that be without the boredom? ;)

EDIT: So, Jean, you liked having the DVDs. Hmmmm, now I'll have to think about this some more. I am not very confident in my ability to understand all this. I tried Introductory Logic and got bogged down about half way through. I haven't placed my order yet.....hmmmmm.

Edited by LatinTea