Menu

I'm just sayin'...

I finally got my official letter from the school district informing me that ds has met the standards of an appropriate education for PDE, blah, blah, blah.

And then it goes on to say that they are in possession of my affidavit for next year (which is already under way in our house @@), and will let me know whether I'm approved when they've had the chance to review it.

PA has no affidavit "approval" process. Hand in your form and commence homeschooling!

It's the second time our superintendent has worded things that way. I want so badly to correct her, but she accepted my minimalist portfolio without issue, so it feels silly to rock the boat on a wording choice that doesn't actually DO anything. :tongue_smilie:

Just wanted to kvetch to people who understand. ;)

I might forward it to HSLDA and let them respond. While she isn't in that authority,there may be another family in the district or that moves into the district that won't know different. The principal seems to be assumming that she has authority when she doesn't. Why let her continue believing her own fable?

Sounds more like she just wants others to think she actually has that authority. It's a toothless threat. Of course she is in possession of the affidavit for the next year (or until they decide to throw it out, whatever). Approval, HA! Forward it to HSLDA, then just ignore it.

I totally understand! I'm in PA, too, and my first year homeschooling, they told me if I didn't give them a copy of my diploma, it could "hold up the approval process."

As you already established, there is no "approval process."

There is also no requirement for me to give them my diploma- all I technically have to do is state in my affidavit that I HAVE one.

In the interest of not rocking the boat, I gave them the copy of my diploma- but I also gave them a letter from the PDE stating that I didn't have to. I told them I was giving it to them in the interests of a good working relationship with them but that I wanted them to see that letter from the PDE for their reference.

Then, at the end of that first year, my district tried telling me that I didn't submit enough (samples) and I should "just bring in everything, he wants to see all of your work."

YEAH RIGHT. The law very clearly specifies SAMPLES. I held my ground on that one without giving in at all. I told them they had the samples required by law, that they had a letter from my evaluator stating that an appropriate education was being received, and that they could send me a certified letter if they didn't think that was the case, and that we'd take it from there. The secretary said they'd been trying to avoid going that route and that she'd pass along the message. I waited all summer to see if I'd get a certified letter. Instead, in early September, I received the standard form letter about how my portfolio had been accepted and demonstrated an appropriate education and I could pick it up at any time and yadda yadda.

This year I sent in the same minimalist portfolio, with about 3-5 samples from each subject... and this time I also included a photocopy of a paper with parts of the Home Education Law cited, and I used a pink highlighter to highlight the word "SAMPLES"... haha.

So far so good, I haven't heard anything from them, and I'm figuring no news is good news!

They sure to like to ask for things they aren't entitled to!

Then, at the end of that first year, my district tried telling me that I didn't submit enough (samples) and I should "just bring in everything, he wants to see all of your work."

:blink:

I would be SOOOOO tempted to show up in his office with a stack of boxes on a hand dolly and say "Happy reading! I've given the rest of the homeschoolers in the district a heads up. They'll be here in a bit with all of their stuff!"

I'm actually pleased with how smoothly our first portfolio year went, so I'm not about to call attention to myself, but I think I will pass it on to HSLDA in case they're interested, and I may try to contact Ask Pauline as a public service message.

Pauline's site is great... are you on any of the email lists she post on? There's a PA Homeschoolers email list where we share stuff like this, including Pauline. Also a PA Unschoolers email list which I like to read emails from even though I don't exactly unschool.

I totally understand! I'm in PA, too, and my first year homeschooling, they told me if I didn't give them a copy of my diploma, it could "hold up the approval process."

As you already established, there is no "approval process."

There is also no requirement for me to give them my diploma- all I technically have to do is state in my affidavit that I HAVE one.

In the interest of not rocking the boat, I gave them the copy of my diploma- but I also gave them a letter from the PDE stating that I didn't have to. I told them I was giving it to them in the interests of a good working relationship with them but that I wanted them to see that letter from the PDE for their reference.

YEAH RIGHT. The law very clearly specifies SAMPLES. I held my ground on that one without giving in at all. I told them they had the samples required by law, that they had a letter from my evaluator stating that an appropriate education was being received, and that they could send me a certified letter if they didn't think that was the case, and that we'd take it from there. The secretary said they'd been trying to avoid going that route and that she'd pass along the message. I waited all summer to see if I'd get a certified letter. Instead, in early September, I received the standard form letter about how my portfolio had been accepted and demonstrated an appropriate education and I could pick it up at any time and yadda yadda.

This year I sent in the same minimalist portfolio, with about 3-5 samples from each subject... and this time I also included a photocopy of a paper with parts of the Home Education Law cited, and I used a pink highlighter to highlight the word "SAMPLES"... haha.

So far so good, I haven't heard anything from them, and I'm figuring no news is good news!

They sure to like to ask for things they aren't entitled to!

Are you sure they don't need your diploma? I have handed mine in every year and I believe it is stated somewhere in the PA Homeschool law.