Menu

Stupid dorm life question--do young men wear shower shoes?

Julie in CA

Most don't but probably should, especially if they have eczema or broken skin. Many years ago I worked at a university student health clinic, and guys were always coming in with foot rot. The docs sent them away with scrip for whatever nasties had taken hold and advice to wear shower shoes of some kind. However the showers were the open type shared by a whole floor so this might not be the same. Does your ds know the guys? Who does the cleaning and how often?

Not a guy, but I wore shower shoes in a dorm with communal showers that the whole floor shared. Probably about 40-60 girls used those showers.

I did not wear shower shoes when I was in a student apartment and shared a bathroom with three other girls. However, none of us were athletes. I never had any problems.

If the bathroom is going to be cleaned regularly and none of the guys are athletes then I wouldn't worry about it. If the other guys are athletes I'd at least provide shower shoes. At the very least this should be something the guys all talk about..chances are they're responsible for cleaning that bathroom too.

I was in a dorm with community bathrooms my sophomore year. Nobody wore shower shoes that I know of and nobody ended up with any fungal problems that I know of.

The suite-style showers were much worse because even though only 4 people were using the showers, nobody wanted to clean them. The community showers were cleaned by a paid staff several times each day.

The suite-style showers were much worse because even though only 4 people were using the showers, nobody wanted to clean them. The community showers were cleaned by a paid staff several times each day.

This was what I have found to be true. He can either wear the flipflops and rotate cleaning, or he can take responsibility for bathroom duty.

Would a spritz of Lysol spray to the shower floor upon entering the bathroom work?

I think (?) it would need to sit on the surface for up to 10 minutes to kill stuff. (read the label to see though. some products can kill off stuff after 60 seconds, some 10 minutes to get it all.)

-crystal