Menu

Head lice: can I treat to prevent?

My boys and I spent this past weekend at my mom's house. On Saturday my sister and her kids were also there for several hours.

Mom just called to let me know that my niece 'probably' has head lice. My sister took niece in for a haircut today, but the stylist refused to serve her because it appears that niece has lice.

Niece spent a couple of hours lounging and playing on the bed Hunter and I later slept in. :willy_nilly:

Must I wait a week or more to see if we become infested? Surely there is something I can do to prevent an outbreak, but I've never dealt with this before.

HELP!

YES! A friend of mine has some natural, lavender oil based stuff that they use to treat-to-prevent when they've had people over that they later found out had lice. Wish I knew the name of it.

Oh, that sounds good. I'll try to do a search with those terms. Thank you!

you can add a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo too and you can wah with lice shampoo to prevent I think

Perfect! I'm going to try to find something non-toxic, but we'll shampoo to prevent.

I should probably do a daily washing of sheets and pillow cases too, right?

Oh, that sounds good. I'll try to do a search with those terms. Thank you!

Perfect! I'm going to try to find something non-toxic, but we'll shampoo to prevent.

I should probably do a daily washing of sheets and pillow cases too, right?

Having run the gauntlet with lice in the past year, I feel your pain! I hope you didn't get them.

If it were me, I'd probably go ahead with a cetaphil treatment now. This is what we used. But I truly believe after dealing with this with my kids and the five families we hang out with all the time, that the best way to get rid of lice is mechanical.

Cover the head with Cetaphil - liberally - then use a nit comb to comb through tiny sections of hair. Be sure to scrape that comb against the scalp, because they lay their eggs right at the base of the hair shaft and they are kind of glued on. Wipe your comb on a white towel as you go through the hair. You should be able to find any lice if you have any - they are small and about the color of the hair they came from. Then blow dry the cetaphil until it's completely dry. It takes a while. Wash it out the next day.

Wash your sheets the day you do the cetaphil, then you can wait till the next week when you recheck to wash again.

Keep checking for a while. One family really had a tough time getting rid of them and have had several recurrences over the past year.

It was not fun, but we did get the microscope out and learned a lot!

Good luck!

ETA: Lice, in our area at least, are becoming very resistant to many of the lice shampoos on the market. Which is another reason to be aggressive with the combing.

My DD~7 finished a bout of head lice at the end of June and I wrote an article about my experience and the natural remedy I used so others may benefit from my experience.

Thank you!

In the article, you mention adding rosemary oil and tea tree oil to shampoo. Was that just your every-day shampoo?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2123367_treat-head-lice-cetaphil.html

This is the only method that worked for us.

I would definitely not take any chances and treat as if you had it.

Having run the gauntlet with lice in the past year, I feel your pain! I hope you didn't get them.

If it were me, I'd probably go ahead with a cetaphil treatment now. This is what we used. But I truly believe after dealing with this with my kids and the five families we hang out with all the time, that the best way to get rid of lice is mechanical.

Cover the head with Cetaphil - liberally - then use a nit comb to comb through tiny sections of hair. Be sure to scrape that comb against the scalp, because they lay their eggs right at the base of the hair shaft and they are kind of glued on. Wipe your comb on a white towel as you go through the hair. You should be able to find any lice if you have any - they are small and about the color of the hair they came from. Then blow dry the cetaphil until it's completely dry. It takes a while. Wash it out the next day.

Wash your sheets the day you do the cetaphil, then you can wait till the next week when you recheck to wash again.

Keep checking for a while. One family really had a tough time getting rid of them and have had several recurrences over the past year.

It was not fun, but we did get the microscope out and learned a lot!

Good luck!

ETA: Lice, in our area at least, are becoming very resistant to many of the lice shampoos on the market. Which is another reason to be aggressive with the combing.

Regular ol' Cetaphil? I have that!

The kids had it about 5 weeks ago - we did the mayonnaise (waste of time - don't even go there). We did the cetaphil treatment which I highly recommend - excellent results. Everything was killed on the twins, and dd11 (who introduced the critters to our house) only had three live ones after the cetaphil.

How do I know? The Lice Treatment Professional who came to our home and treated everyone told me so.

She used a foam non-caustic shampoo and combed everyone with the oh-so-important comb. She only found live ones in dd11 - and to be honest, after doing the cetaphil with her and combing out the twins (ds not a problem) but dd9 has ALOT of hair, I could not do a thorough job on dd11........so I called the pros.

She also provided us with peppermint oil to use as a repellant.

In the past, we have used lavender and tea tree oil as preventives with excellent results.

We dealt with lice several months ago. One thing I read is that they really hate coconut smell? I was told by several people that using Suave coconut "flavored" shampoo & conditioner would help keep them away. (although it won't cure you if you have them already, ykwim?)

Listerine finally took care of them in our house. Douse the "victim's" hair in the regular, gold-colored listerine, then have them wear a shower cap for a couple of hours. Then, wash and condition hair as normal. Launder all clothes/sheets during the shower cap time. Repeat every 3-4 days for a couple of weeks. This kills any live lice before they have a chance to reproduce.

After spending at least $100 on failed lice treatments, this finally did the trick. I did a lot of research and rumor has it this used to be an old Army lice remedy. According to some, there used to be some sort of statement on the Listerine bottle that it could also be used as a cure for Lice.

Good luck, and I hope you don't have them!

Listerine the oriiginal not the flavored does work. We are in an area where they have become resistant to the otc shampoo. Two hours of listerine and a shower cap and then follow with an hour of vinegar and shower cap. Shampoo and condition as normal. The listerine kills the live bugs and the vinegar loosens the glue to remove the eggs. Make sure to comb well and blow dry hair for awhile.

My DD got lice soo many times from a girl at ps :glare: I wont miss that AT all.

Anyways....mayo never worked. Cetaphil did. After the last bout awhile back I added Tea Tree oil to her shampoo and conditioner. I made a spray of peppermint oil and tea tree oil and spray her bedding a few times a week. I also use coconut Suave shampoo adn conditioner (I read they hate rosemary, tea tree oil, coconut, and peppermint oil)

So far so good but its summer and she wasnt around that girl.

Wow, Cetaphil, I never heard that one before. Haven't dealt with this, but I remember having a family member that we had to de-lice at grandma's every summer. We never used a comb, but did it by hand, She had waist length hair.

Is it the comb that comes with the shampoo and looks like a fork? Or do you buy an other type? Very interesting.

Danielle

Lice Treatment Professional

What??

There are professionals for this? I've heard that there are things you can spray each day... I got some lice away type stuff from England a few years ago.... when my step-daughter's mom said the girls got lice each year. The mom considered it "kinda bonding" to comb away the mama lice whatevers.... I considered it... "Surely Gross"...... and so got it... it's sweet almond oil among other things... Thankfully, they never got it again... (and even the first time... was on her week! Yay!)

Lice Treatment Professional

What??

There are professionals for this? I've heard that there are things you can spray each day... I got some lice away type stuff from England a few years ago.... when my step-daughter's mom said the girls got lice each year. The mom considered it "kinda bonding" to comb away the mama lice whatevers.... I considered it... "Surely Gross"...... and so got it... it's sweet almond oil among other things... Thankfully, they never got it again... (and even the first time... was on her week! Yay!)

Yep:

Texas Lice Squad

My friend called them after she had been dealing with the lice on her daughters for over a year. $95 per hour to comb out the hair. :eek: They guarantee it, but only if they comb out everyone in the family!