Menu

Workbooks and Multiple Children

HSM-Crissy

I'm starting Horizons Math K....I have a brand new workbook and I have 2 more coming down the road. Should I (a) just use it for one child and each child have their own workbook or (b) photocopy it to use in the future?

What do you do? Do you just by multiple workbooks for other kids that are coming down the line?

Thanks!!!!

All my kids will be getting their own Horizon Math workbooks. I don't know if they are legally reproducable for home use, but I certainly don't want to spend my time/$ photocopying each and every page. I figure it adds up to about $20-$25 per student per year. I think that's a bargain!

I have struggled with this. I decided to just buy the workbooks for each kid if they are under $25. I just figure that photo copying will not really save much if anything because ink is so expensive. Plus paper (which isnt expensive but still) Also, I buy them and keep them for a few year just in case I need to prove something for some odd reason down the line! Our state does not require anything like that-- yet-- but ya never know what could happen!

Or.. I heard of the idea of slipping a worksheet into a plastic sleeve and having your child fill it out with dry-erase marker. I'm thinking it would work well for math...maybe not a subject that would need more writing. I'm considering it.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I purchase workbooks as we need them unless I get a really good deal on a set of workbooks, or I learn the edition I need is going out of print. I also move the children to textbooks or e-books as quickly as possible. ;)

I started off photocopying for the next kids, but found it is not worth the cost you spend in ink and paper. It is much cheaper just to buy a new workbook for each child.

When I used MUS for my olders we used the workbooks just like a text. I just had them write the answers in a notebook. I didn't make them write the problem unless it was something that had to be written like a diagram or something of that nature. It worked great that way for us.

Or.. I heard of the idea of slipping a worksheet into a plastic sleeve and having your child fill it out with dry-erase marker. I'm thinking it would work well for math...maybe not a subject that would need more writing. I'm considering it.

That's what I'm doing. Dry erase markers dry out quickly and we were having to replace them frequently. So then I bought the wipe-off crayons and expect them to last a long time - plus, my son gets more colors to choose from. You have to use a little more oomph to erase them and the sheet protector can wrinkle in the process. Also frustrating when the plastic scoots around. Paper clipping it to the page helps.

Besides being able to save the book for my next one, an immediate advantage is that if he needs extra practice, I can have him do the same worksheet over again.

I've been wondering about something related to this. In reading all the organization blogs, it occurred to me to scan the workbook pages and then save them on a CD in Mom's notebook, to be printed out for each kid's notebook/file/workbox/whatever method you use when each kid is old enough. That way, I thought it would be easier to save space in your schooling area and to keep things organized--and you would only have to do the scanning once, as opposed to photocopying or cutting up and hole punching workbook pages each time you have a kid ready for that level. But is that legal? Does it depend on the curriculum? How do you find out if it is legal without buying the curriculum first and reading through the copyright information?

I use consumables as such with the exception of the original Singapore Challenging Word Problems books, which I bought when I knew they were going OOP. Those I photocopy and it's a huge pain-in-the-rear plus more expensive than what I paid for them new. :glare: