Menu

Plutarch for kids

Which version of Plutarch for kids?  

1. 1. Which version of Plutarch for kids?

• "Plutarch's Lives for Boys and Girls" - W.H. Weston
    • book by Rosalie Kaufman (it doesn't give a title)
    • "Tales of the Greeks: The Children's Plutarch" - F.J. Gould
    • "Tales of the Romans: The Children's Plutarch" - F.J. Gould
    • Famous Men of Rome/ Famous Men of Greece- Haaren and Poland
    • Other

We haven't actually read them yet (purchased them to start next year), but I bought Tales of the Greeks and Romans. It was listed as one of the ones good for younger kids, so I thought we'd start there. I may go more in-depth when they're older, but I thought this would be a good introduction.

I picked up Lives of the Noble Romans and Lives of the Noble Greeks from ebay pretty cheaply many months ago, not realising the edition makes such a difference with Plutarch. It is a selection edited by Edmund Fuller, translated by John Dryden, revised by Clough, published by Doubleday books.

After perusing other versions online, and digging into a page or so, I think its actually going to be ok, but I won't know until we have done a few weeks, which we are starting in a fortnight.

I would much prefer to have a book than read off the computer or print from the computer, so I will try and make this work.

My 10 year old son is reading that book right now. It is also online for free at Baldwin Project.

Here's my funny story as to why I bought this book:

I orginally did not want to buy the book. So, I went to the library. I asked the interlibrary loan librarian to help me. We contacted the state librarian for this one. :) She did a search of the entire nation. There were only two libraries in all of the United States that had this book. One was the Library of Congress in Washington, DC and the other was Havard Univerisity in Cambridge, Mass. I laughed and bought the book. :lol:

When the book arrived, I told my son, "you are reading a book from Havard.":smilielol5::smilielol5:

:smilielol5:

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I knew using the CM approach, it would take a long time to read through OYFP, so I wanted to buy it. When I was looking for it on places like Alibris, the price was way out of my range...and I was so happy about being about to buy it from Baldwin (they used LuLu.com)

One book I am very proud of though, is Stories From Herodotus. I had been looking at this book for months. The few that I could find for sale ranged from $60-$250 (only one being the cheaper $60). I had decided we were just going to have to do without it. The day I ordered all my new books for Biblioplan, I had a bit of extra money so I thought that if I could find a copy for $60 I would splurge on it...and I prayed it would be worth the expensive price tag. When I pulled it up on Alibris...right there was one copy for $20! I JUMPED on it. This book is in the same condition and the same edition as the one priced at $250. This is my most prized possession...I tell the girls to be careful it is a $250 book :lol:

My 10 year old son is reading that book right now. It is also online for free at Baldwin Project.

Here's my funny story as to why I bought this book:

I orginally did not want to buy the book. So, I went to the library. I asked the interlibrary loan librarian to help me. We contacted the state librarian for this one. :) She did a search of the entire nation. There were only two libraries in all of the United States that had this book. One was the Library of Congress in Washington, DC and the other was Havard Univerisity in Cambridge, Mass. I laughed and bought the book. :lol:

When the book arrived, I told my son, "you are reading a book from Havard.":smilielol5::smilielol5:

:smilielol5:

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

• 2 weeks later...

One book I am very proud of though, is Stories From Herodotus. I had been looking at this book for months. The few that I could find for sale ranged from $60-$250 (only o:lol:

Which book is this, the one by Herodotus? I am going to start reading Herodotus, but it has a different title and it is not geared for children.

• 12 years later...

My 8 year old and I are enjoying "Plutarch's Lives for Boys and Girls" by W.H. Weston.  We have to read almost every sentence 2-3 times for my son to understand, so I was thinking of trying another version, but he really seems to like it.  I let him act out little scenes with toys after we read.  And sometimes the second time I read a sentence, I will substitute words he doesn't know with words he does know.  Then I read it as written again.  I also ask questions of him as we read "If the judge's friend and a stranger were both presenting their case as to how much barley each should get for their (equal) amount of work, what would Aristides decree if he were the judge?  And Themistophocles?  And you?"