Menu

What to get dh for his birthday?

I don't know enough about his hobbies to get anything related to them - biking and guns. I also don't know what he needs for either one. He broke his frame on his bike - for the third time! - so he's in between bikes right now. (Until the company sends a new frame or $$ towards a new frame.) I just got him a new pair of gloves for father's day. Gun stuff - I'm not buying any of that for sure! About all he's mentioned lately is a desk lamp for when he works at home.

DD wants to make his birthday dinner. I was planning on taking him out. Maybe I'll let her cook anyway. What she wants to make is something I don't know how. Last time we were visiting the IL, MIL showed dd how to make it!

I sort of feel like what my mom mentioned a few weeks ago - if you don't say what you want, you don't get anything! (His birthday coming off VBS week is turning not to be a good thing!)

I'd let your dd make his birthday dinner. Maybe you could take him out to lunch that day? Or take him out for a date later in the week, just you two.

Does he like to read? A good book always makes a good gift. How about some nice silky boxers? Or some massage oil? (forgive if inappropriate)

My hubby is really hard to buy for. For his birthday, we gave him a coffee mug (he loves his daily homemade latte) and some gourmet coffee. For Father's Day, ds got him a device that holds your laptop on your lap (like a lap desk) and has a fan in it to keep the laptop cool--got it from Target for about $30.

Does he like beer? I got my hubby a kit that makes a legal allowable amount - it can with cans of starter stuff for two different kinds of beer - now, years later, he is STILL using it and has joined a local brewing club where the members sample each other's brews, swap brewing recipes, etc. He even tried to grow and dry his own hopps one years.

The kit is a Mr. Beer. http://www.mrbeer.com/

How about a subscription to a biking or gun magazine? Or even pick up a variety from a local store, so he has a sample of several. When you see which ones he likes the most, get him a subscription for the next holiday.

Either that, or a gift certificate to a bike or gun store.

Yes, let your dd make his dinner. Another nice gift from kids is a coupon booklet for extra chores, as well as special activities and outings they would both enjoy, handmade, that your dh can "redeem" at will :001_smile:.

HTH,

My dh would love a night in the house alone with me. Can you arrange to send the kids somewhere overnight after dinner?

Or, if $$ are adequate, a night in a local hotel. My dh would also love this because not only would he get unrestricted access to me (hint, hint), but after that "unrestricted access" he'd get to watch cable TV, which we don't have at home!

My dh is one who doesn't really want gifts. He likes the gift of time, time for himself or time out with me alone. He gave me the gift of 8 hours without kids for my birthday, not on that day but on a different weekend.

If you feel you need to give a gift and your hubby has time to read, I second the gift of a magazine subscription. Outdoor is a good one for those who like adventure and bikes.

And yes, if your daughter wants to cook, let her!