Menu

Tell me about James Patterson books. Are they good?

It depends on what you like. All of his books are total escape/mind candy type books. He writes VERY short chapters and the books clip along super fast.

I really like the Alex Cross books. He is a police detective, I guess they are mysteries.

I have read some of his other books and enjoyed them too.

I read Kiss the Girls. I couldn't get some of the very graphic r*pe and death scenes out of my head afterward, so I haven't read any more of his books. I don't know whether all of his books are that graphic or not, but that book was really disturbing.

I read a lot of mysteries as my "mind candy", but I never could get into any of Patterson's. It's been a long time, but I think I found the characters and dialogue kind of forced. Just couldn't ever make it past a couple of chapters.

I like the Alex Cross series but honestly I can tell when he's had another writing doing some of the work and those are the ones that I end up putting down.

The chapters are very short and you can easily finish an entire book in a few hours without really having to focus. I like them for plane rides, vacations, sitting in the doctor's waiting room....

I only tried one James Patterson book and ended up putting it down. I don't remember exactly what the issue was, but I think it was a combination of a lot of language, fairly graphic violence, and more s*xual stuff than I really wanted to be reading. At least those are the things that I mentally associate with "James Patterson" when I see his books now.

Every time I go into my library search, James Patterson books are the top requested books. I've never read them and wonder what they are about and would I like them?

They're good like Danielle Steel is good.

IOW, people who like them, like them no matter what. People who don't like them disdain them heartily.

They're good like Danielle Steel is good.

IOW, people who like them, like them no matter what. People who don't like them disdain them heartily.

:iagree:

I read several of the Alex Cross ones...found the early ones engaging, but graphic...later ones where just wash, rinse, repeat. Not worth it, even for free. (I tend to buy my favourite authors, rather than borrow).

Michael Connolly

James Lee Burke

Jeffrey Deaver

Alternatives by authors who write their own books. Patterson uses ghost writers and they still suck.

I don't like him either, although I've read all the Alex Cross books. They are hard to put down once you start, but they aren't well written.

I also like Tess Gerritsen, Elizabeth George, Ruth Rendell, Laura Lippman, Margaret Maron, Jonathan Kellerman, John Sandford, and Minette Walters, if you're looking for mystery/detective/crime fiction.

If you want to bawl your eyes out read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. The only thing of his I read on a whim washing laundry one day. Pass the Kleenex!:crying:

I read this one (and another diary sort of sequel, I think) and I enjoyed them. However, I got another book by him afterward and was thoroughly disappointed for all the same reasons already listed. And they were highly predictable. Not a fan.

Dd has read all his Maximum Ride books and really liked those a lot. I don't know if it is actually him writing for a YA audience or not, though.