Menu

Teaching Textbooks ?

3and3

I am going to be using level 4 with my dd because one of my dear friends is letting me borrow it. So is the workbook absolutely necessary? Can you just use cds? Is there enough practice problems on the cd roms?

Thanks everyone

Jenny

We use WW3 for 'fun' and I haven't opened the workbook. It is not needed.

Dds love TT. We do it on days when the kids seem 'bored' yet I don't have the energy or time to play or teach them something new.

Today dd7 did lesson 52 and the 'bonus round' which tends to get her in a panic. 'Bonus Round' is an exercise in math facts which is timed. It shows a little timer and plays music. We mute the music.

The program is great for what it does. He teaches the concepts beautifully. I am within earshot and help explain anything she may need help with (which is rare - since he explains it so well).

By lesson 40'ish you are adding triple digits with carrying -- along with tons of spiral review. Such a blessing this summer when we have crazy days.

Although I wouldn't use TT exclusively, we are enjoying it along with Singapore, RS games and tons of math facts games on the iPad this summer.

We used it exclusively this year, and only used the workbook twice. I don't think the workbooks are necessary unless you can't get to computer, or they need more practice. When we used the workbook, it was because DS didn't want to write the problems down himself. The workbook has the same problems that are used on the CDs, and those they can copy down on their own paper.

I thought there was enough practice problems (I know others disagree). There are about 20-24 problems for every lesson, plus each lesson is interactive and has some sample problems to start with. Each lesson has a couple of review questions from previous lessons also. If there's an area that they need more practice in, I think it'd be easy enough to find a free worksheet on the internet. DD was having trouble with long division, so I just found an old workbook (a cheap Walmart one) to do a few extra division problems, but that was no big deal.

I guess some other math programs must have more problems for each lesson. I'm only familiar with Singapore, and people complain about the lack of problems in that program too. I only know that my kids hated math before, and the fact that they don't complain (or cry) about doing it anymore was enough for me to purchase TT again this year. (We are also going to be adding Life of Fred, this year too, though.)

Edited by funschooler5
Added some thoughts. :)

Thanks

I think I will start without workbook and see how it goes and if I find I need it then I will purchase it. Or maybe just fill in with some math drills from online. My 9yo is not a real math kid, but I love it so maybe I can help her figure out things if she hits a wall.;)

Jenny

We used TT for my dd all last year as her only math curriculum and it was wonderful. I know that I've read a lot of posts from families that don't use a workbook, but we choose to work with one because we believe it is good practice for our student to listen to the lecture, do the problems in the workbook and then enter them into the computer to check answers. If she gets it wrong, then they walk her through the steps for better understanding. Every child is different, so this may or may not be the case with your child. Just consider it as an option up ahead. You should at minimum have lots of scratch paper for him to use at the computer.

TT is the best thing that every happened to my dd! Many families like us use it as the main math curriculum. This year we are going to add Life of Fred once a week as a variety to what she is doing, but we don't really have to do it. She was just given her state mandated achievement tests and scored in the 98th percentile in math, so we are completely satisfied with her progress and learning in math at this point.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Great idea.

I think it's a plus that starting in TT3 (second/third grade) students already write out their problems -- and don't just fill in a worksheet where the problems are pre-written for the student. I understand that for some students the workbook is needed. It's nice to have options.

I don't allow her to just write it anywhere on the sheet. Every problem is neat and very legible.

My dd 7 writes out all the problems -- unless he suggests doing it 'in your head'. She is already learning the importance of doing 'neat' work in math. Granted, she hears us ranting to her older siblings about it also.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
clarify

I didn't even purchase the workbook for TT4 last year. The kids never needed it, but it would have come in handy for their yearly evaluations this year. I did purchase the complete set for TT5 and we print out the sheets for the day's lessons when we have to run somewhere during the day. That way they can work their lessons and I input them at night.

Great idea.

I don't allow her to just write it anywhere on the sheet. Every problem is neat and very legible.

My kids have a math notebook to work out all of the problems that can't be done in their head. I make them write them neatly just as if they had to turn them in for a grade. It's important for them to realize they have to line everything up correctly as the problems get longer and more difficult.

I am going to be using TT for the first time this coming fall. My daughter will be doing TT5. I plan to use it as our sole math curriculum, I don't intend to supplement with anything else (other than maybe math games online or the occasional math operations board game type thing).

I have the CD's and the workbook, but I doubt I'll even use the workbook because I have a younger son who will be using the TT program too, and then after he's done, I'm sure I'll resell it, and it will sell better without the workbook being "used."

So I'll probably just set up a math notebook and have her write the problems out herself. Then she can watch the lecture, try the problem herself in her math notebook, and then check her answers on the computer.

They show the problem on the screen so I don't see how that it is any different than seeing it in a workbook. ;) My DD has a notebook that she uses to workout the problems that aren't intended for mental math skills. (it says does this problem in your head). But there have been a couple occassions where she wanted to work outside, so the workbook came in handy. Otherwise it isn't needed.

I want to remind all of you to make sure you do the placement tests that TT offers to make sure that it isn't too easy at their grade level. My DD loves TT and I think that the instruction is wonderful.

They show the problem on the screen so I don't see how that it is any different than seeing it in a workbook.

It's the task of writing out the problem on your own paper which is a timely skill, imho. Not necessary of course, though. But I do like that dd is already developing the skill of 'showing' neat math work.

I think the workbook is necessary. I believe that repetition is key, so by watching the problem on the computer, then working it in the book by hand and then putting the problem into the computer, my daughter gets each problem BY SIGHT -- SOUND -- & BY HAND . I think that is good for any child to help reinforce something into their heads. That is why many of us do copywork.

Also, when my computer crashed this year, all my daughters work was saved (including her grades) because I had her write all her work and record her grades after each lesson in her workbook. That was a blessing knowing all her work wasn't lost.

I also know that I can see any errors she is making when it is written in her book. I wouldn't see those if she did her work on the computer only.

Just my .02

My DD is copying the problems into her notebook from the computer screen and working the problem from that just as she would if she was using the workbook. She just isn't using the workbook to do so. We have all the records we need as well if we needed to go back and reenter the answers. (ugh! I back-up my computer to prevent this!) I'm not sure that I understand what the difference would be?

But it's ok to prefer the workbook. We did not find it very useful since my DD prefered to do it from the screen. We tried it with the WB and she didn't care have to come back enter the answers. She prefered the automatic feedback. I'm trying to say that you can still have the copywork and problem solving without the workbook.

I want to remind all of you to make sure you do the placement tests that TT offers to make sure that it isn't too easy at their grade level.

I chose not to do this. I just bought TT5 for my daughter to use this fall, as she is going into 5th grade.

I have read some people say they think TT is "too easy" or "a year behind" and I decided that even if it IS a bit "easy" for her, I was okay with that. It's more important to me that she gain confidence in math than it is that she be challenged in math every step of the way.

I'd LOVE for her to think "wow, math is easy!" instead of "Ugh, math is hard!"

In my opinion, that will set a good foundation for future years of math all by itself. Just the mere fact of her developing that sort of attitude, that this isn't so hard/bad, it's kind of fun, I CAN do it.

Eventually it'll catch up and she'll have completed a whole math curriculum. I'm okay with starting off at a relatively easy, confidence-boosting pace and letting things build gradually from there.

But this comes from years of MY thinking that math was hard, and that I wasn't good at math, and being pushed ahead when I wasn't ready all through my childhood. And that attitude continued into MY own adulthood. I joke all the time that I'm lucky I know how many apples I have if I have three apples. The truth is, I hate math. Give me words any day of the week over numbers.

And combining that with the fact that my daughter is not overly "mathy" either- for those kids who are more "mathy" and might get bored if they don't feel a bit more challenged, then a different tactic might work better. For me and my child, though, I think this will be best.

I am trying to understand something. Are the problems in the workbook the same as the ones on the computer?

If that is the case I will proubly just have her copy them on graph paper and solve. That way she can get the practice of copying the problems too. She will need to learn that skill sooner or later anyway. Plus I am using level 3 with her which she might find a little easy, but the copying will challenge her. She hates to write. KWIM.

I understand what you are saying. My DD tested in the 7th grade level last year. Being that she was only in 4th grade, I didn't feel good about pushing her that fast. And I don't believe a 5th grader would have the skills to begin pre-algebra. So we did 6th grade last year. Even with the higher placement my daughter found TT to be easy and fun. :) I really think it's because they have wonderful instruction that teaches the children in a way they will understand it. When I watch it with DD, I want to do the problems too.

I do have a very mathy child, though. But she also placed at 7th grade for CLE this year. (I had a hair-brain moment where I was thinking of switching.) I'm not sure that the TT grade levels are that far off. I've seen posts about people being disappointed because they didn't do the placement test.