Menu

Opinions on vocabulary programs?

Do you like Vocabulary from Classical Roots or Wordly Wise better for 8th grade? Thanks, Lillian

I like the first bc it helps them to learn more vocabulary.

My kids like the second bc it's easier, but they didn't retain any of it.:glare:

Eta: I stuck with WW bc it is recommend everywhere and I figured there must be something to it.

But I have VfCR now and I like that it explains the word origins better. It's more of a if you know this part of a word means this, then what do these words mean kind of vocabulary building, which I think will expand their ability to decipher new words.

Edited by Martha

I have used both in Jr. high and actually prefer a third option - English from the roots up. I don't buy the cards - I think the making of the cards helps cement the root words in their heads. We keep them on a ring and review them weekly. I am planning to use English from the Roots Up Level 2 this year (8th grade). Another option is to have them make cards for either VFRU or WW that they can review to help retention.

Jen

I just finished listening to SWB's writing lecture and she recommends the first. It's the only one she recommends because she says as a whole that vocabulary programs are useless and that children learn their vocabulary from reading. The only reason she recommends the first is because it does break the words down by their roots which helps them understand other words they may not yet know.

As for what I'm going to do, I have no clue. I own both and was going to use the second until I listened to her lecture. We had tried the first before and my son hated it but maybe we'll give it another try now that he's a bit older. Sigh...decisions, decisions...

He liked the variety of exercises and the way the words were grouped..

The chapters include:

learning new words from context

building vocab through central ideas

words derived from Greek

words derived from Latin

words from classical mythology and history ( ds's favorite:001_smile: He did this section , but knew most of the words

anglo-saxon vocab

french words in english

Italian words in english

spanish words in English

derivatives

Vocab questions on pre-college tests

I just finished listening to SWB's writing lecture and she recommends the first. It's the only one she recommends because she says as a whole that vocabulary programs are useless and that children learn their vocabulary from reading. The only reason she recommends the first is because it does break the words down by their roots which helps them understand other words they may not yet know.

As for what I'm going to do, I have no clue. I own both and was going to use the second until I listened to her lecture. We had tried the first before and my son hated it but maybe we'll give it another try now that he's a bit older. Sigh...decisions, decisions...

We tried VfCR the first time using the WTM recommendations and hated it. My kid is just NOT a flashcard person.

Then I got the Teacher's Manuals, and developed a weekly routine, using the information in the TM. This made it more teacher-intensive; but more enjoyable and more memorable. Later, my DS "got it" and told me that he no longer needed the introduction on Monday, or the Guided Practice preceding the Worksheet on Wednesday. (But, he did much better on the exercises when I didn't skip those things - LOL!)

He really did notice those words popping up in his literature last year (we did Ancient lit last year), and we've only completed through VfCR level C. So, definitely worth it, I think, though I can't compare it to another program.

I've used both but prefer Vocab for the high school student- My all time favorite! My ds did it in the 8th and 9th grade, and Vocab for the College-bound student in 10th.

http://www.amazon.com/Vocabulary-School-Student-Harold-Levine/dp/1567651275/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279248028&sr=1-1

:iagree: Although I'm adding a new one to the mix this year - Word Within the Word (MCT). It's also excellent and correlated with our English program. I'll be interested in seeing the boys' scores this next year after using WWW. We might go back to VFCB if there isn't a significant increase. Although that may be difficult to measure because they typically score well.

I will be trying VfCR this year for my 12 YO. My 14 YO son is currently working through an $8 book called Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder, by Mary Cornog. My son's uncle (a poet) purchased it for him and this is ds's favorite vocabulary book yet. VftCBS might be a good fit for him based on Susan's description.