Menu

Please list your 5 favorite readers for 4th gr ds....

Rhondabee

The original Journey to the Center of the Earth is too much for him right now, I think. But, the abridged version I have here is much too easy.

So.....

Since this is a boy who insists that he hates reading (though when he has assigned reading, he likes it and loves to talk about it), I'd like to choose a few books that aren't too difficult, but just stay with you for a long time after reading them, iykwim. Books that make you hurry-up to get to the end, then make you wish it wasn't over.

Any ideas?

:)

Rhonda

Edited to say: Wow, thanks! I admit I am relieved at least we've read *some* of what you all have listed, but your lists really make me see that I - am - a - *WIMPY* - mom!!! OK, I admit it's hard to admit he's as old as he is.....so.....since I (blushing) have so many of the books you all suggest here (at home even - I just thought they were too much for him), I'm pulling them out and creating a summer reading basket so keep 'em coming, please!

Bunnicula, Frindle, Detectives in Togas (actually recommended by my dd). Oh, and he loves Star Wars so he is reading the Star Wars novel series for fun. Yes, actually for fun! My ds9 (4th grade) is not a reader, either. But, he's actually asked on a few occasions to start his day reading. Okay, so it was Star Wars stuff (mostly the non-fiction, how the movie was made, spec. effects stuff) but he was READING! I just want him to understand and see that reading can be FUN! We'll get to the heavier stuff later.

We have been focused on American history this year. These have been our favorites so far:

The Phantom Tollbooth

Johnny Tremain

Witch of Blackbird Pond

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch

The Journal of Sean Sullivan (My name is America series)

How long did it take your ds to read Johnny Tremain? And, did he get it all on his own? We did it and Witch of Blackbird Pond as Read-Alouds, and there were parts that I think would have been over his head (esp. in Johnny). But, I worry that maybe I don't push him hard enough.

I had planned on doing Mr. Bowditch as a Read-Aloud, and ran out of time. But, since both you and Dayle are recommending it, I'll have him read it instead!

Think I'll save the Sean Sullivan - we'll be doing the Transcontinental Railroad next year, and that looks perfect.

Thanks!

Rhonda

that will go great in our poetry week (we can only take so much poetry at a time, ya know ;))

Thanks!

Rhonda

Sign of the Beaver

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch

The Door In the Wall

Calvin and Hobbes (I know, it's a comic, but the vocab. is great and the creativity is fun)

Thanks.

Bunnicula, Frindle, Detectives in Togas (actually recommended by my dd). Oh, and he loves Star Wars so he is reading the Star Wars novel series for fun. Yes, actually for fun! My ds9 (4th grade) is not a reader, either. But, he's actually asked on a few occasions to start his day reading. Okay, so it was Star Wars stuff (mostly the non-fiction, how the movie was made, spec. effects stuff) but he was READING! I just want him to understand and see that reading can be FUN! We'll get to the heavier stuff later.

My Side of the Mountain

The Other Side of the Mountain

Frightful's Mountain (this trilogy counts as 1 ;) )

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Tales from Shakespeare

These are the only must-haves on our 4th-gradish reading level. Lots of other favorites, but I'll limit it since you are looking for our top picks!

HTH,

Lisa

another book my ds9 has LOVED to read. It's called Good and Evil written by Michael Pearl.

I know that in the past there's been a little controversy about the Pearls, and I'm not that familiar with them in general, but, this is fun for him.

It's Bible stories written comic book-style and illustrated by an artist from Marvel Comics. He's enjoying it, although, as a warning, some of the stories and art are a little bit bloody. It doesn't necessarily white wash the Bible stories. But, we are known as strict (some would say too much so) and we've had no problem with it. We've read some of them with him and had some awesome conversations with him about it.

Anyway, FWIW, it's something he really enjoys.

I'm not sure what grade level these are but my DS read and enjoyed this year.

Sign of the Beaver

Hatchet

Matilda

BFG

Artemis Fowl (The Artic Adventure)

Oliver Twist (A Treasury of Illustrated Classics)

Secret of the Andes

And the Lemony Snickets Series of Unfortunate Events

I can only list four? ... OK, well I came close, how about six?

Kildee House by Rutherford G. Montgomery

The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary Schmidt

Toad Rage, Toad Away and Toad Heaven by Morris Gleitzman (It's a trilogy and is a must!!!)

How long did it take your ds to read Johnny Tremain? And, did he get it all on his own? We did it and Witch of Blackbird Pond as Read-Alouds, and there were parts that I think would have been over his head (esp. in Johnny). But, I worry that maybe I don't push him hard enough.

I had planned on doing Mr. Bowditch as a Read-Aloud, and ran out of time. But, since both you and Dayle are recommending it, I'll have him read it instead!

Think I'll save the Sean Sullivan - we'll be doing the Transcontinental Railroad next year, and that looks perfect.

Thanks!

Rhonda

We did Johnny Tremain as a read aloud. It was one of my favorite books as child, so it was interesting to read it from an adult perspective. My ds understood it, we stopped and talked through a lot of it. He has also watched a lot of Liberty's Kids in the past so he already had a feel for the era.

Here's a link to a free study guide that might be helpful

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

The Sean Sullivan booked surprised me, it was well done. It is "gritty" in some places so you might pre-read it. My ds10 enjoyed it. I originally picked it because my dh's name is Sean, but it was a nice addition to our study this year.

My ds is an older 3rd grader (oct b-day) whose reading just took off this year. He has read the Chronicles of Narnia series on his own and is almost finished with Sign of the Beaver. I might be under-estimating here too, but I'm thinking Johnny Tremain and Carry On Mr. Bowditch would both be read alouds for us sometime in the coming year. He is one chapter into the Story of Napoleon by HE Marshall (from Yesterdays Classics) - I think he likes it so far. It is very thin. He's also read at least two of the COFA biographies.

But his absolute favorites (sad when they were over and actually re-read some of them) were the Narnia books.

Assigned books that he liked this year: Number the Stars, Snow Treasure, Letters from Rifka, and Hind's Feet on High Places (the kids' edition).

Books he read on his own: The Grim Grotto, Old Yeller, Eragon, Basher Five-Two, Whales on Stilts and it's companion The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen.

Cinder

My son loved:

Naya Nuki by Kenneth Thomasma (I think it's part of Sonlight Core 3)

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

The Poppy series by Avi

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry

Half Magic by Edward Eager

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

... all very different, one from the other, but all a lot of fun!

The others seem to be reading at a much higher level than mine. But here are the ones mine enjoyed this year.

Indian in the Cupboard

Henry Huggins

Henry and Ribsy

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

The Chocolate Touch (cute!)

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Matchlock Gun

Farmer Boy (read aloud)