Menu

Secular Logic Stage History Options

Before I get pelted with rotten veg, I know this has been done to death. I just don't want to spend hours sifting through old posts. Yeah, I'm being lazy.

OKAY>>> So anything new in secular Logic age history world. I need an all-in-one type program, meaning this child does not want a 'living books' curriculum or one that requires oddles of writing. I would like one that doesn't require oddles of library time.

Any ideas?

Hee hee. I had a frustrating year with secular logic history. I floundered a lot. The only thing that worked well was reading from Rats, Bulls and Flying Machines, along side many documentaries. Of course, that lasted only three months of the year.

If I were to do it again, I'd use Oak Meadow (without all of the writing) and supplement with books and lots of documentaries.

I recently got a chance to see K12's Human Odyssey and it looks fabulous, if you want a textbook.

Good luck! ;)

ETA: Don't forget about History at Our House (if you have an auditory learner) and The Teaching Company.

Edited by lisabees

I don't think there's anything "new" out there. I've looked a lot. Both of my boys did History Odyssey last year. I didn't feel like it was a ton of writing nor was there a lot of library time involved but ymmv. This year I'm sticking with HO for my older ds and younger ds will do Oak Meadow.

Holy smokes, the prices for vol 1 textbook have gone up since I bought mine 2 weeks ago!! I guess I'll have to stalk the used sites for vol 2 way before we'll need it...

Capt Uhura, did your friend get the teacher guide and student pages with her K12 direct order?

I'm not sure how against ps resources you are, but you could purchase from a discount or clearance warehouse. There are many ps books to chose from. I tend to lean towards Prentice Hall - mostly because of the individual topical books that are available. They have an ancients and med. to today in The World Studies published by Pearson Prentice Hall.

I just called K12 to ask if the TM and SM were included. They are ONLY if you sign up for the online access. But you can do the monthly subscription option then cancel and keep all the books. At ~$129, it seems not too bad considering the cost of HO or the other secular options I have seen.

Anyone have a link to used copies of all 3 on amazon? I have been digging but I guess I am not using the right combo of search terms.

I thought I would add Galore Park but they only cover British History to about 1750.

I found the books by searching "K12 Human Odyssey" and "Human Odyssey" (that turns up more options, so you have to wade through the list) and the teacher guide and student pages by searching "Intermediate World History" as that is the course name. For textbook to guide equivalence, Vol 1=A and vol 2=B.

I'm not sure what course name corresponds to vol 3, though.

For quicker searching, the ISBN for vol 1 is 1931728534 or 9781931728539 according to the book right next to me :)

Oxford Univ Press puts out the World in Ancient Times (and the other series). We've read only one of these, but I liked it.

When I taught at a middle school, years ago, I used "A Message of Ancient Days" and "Across the Centuries" which worked fine.

Also, check out Journey Across Time (I think it's Glencoe). I know some folks on here have recommended it.

IAnyone have a link to used copies of all 3 on amazon? I have been digging but I guess I am not using the right combo of search terms.

You need to search for K12 Intemediate World History A for the first voulme, and K12 Intermediate World History B for the second volume.

Here is a link I found to a bundled set of both teacher and student guides for the first volume - only $34 and only one shipping charge for both books! But there's only one copy... hope it makes one person happy!

There are other individual copies listed, but not many... I think you have to keep checking back.

matroyshka - Thanks for the heads! A few days ago there were NO teacher guides for WOrld History B but after your post, I decided to check and there was one available! Now let's hope someone didn't buy it before I did and I get a cancelation order in the next week.