Menu

Tell me about Taekwondo

I think it is important for everyone to have something physical that they are good at especially boys in their preteen to early teen years. We've tried different sports for my 9 year old son. I'm not trying to be mean but the truth is that he stinks at any sport with a ball. I'm thinking about trying taekwondo. Will he have to fight other people? I really want to find something he is good at but the mama bear in me doesn't want anybody trying to hurt my baby :glare:.

Yes. It's called sparring. Both my kids have been in tae kwon do for a while now. I've heard in the states they get sparring gear - pads and stuff. My dd was hurt once but only because I forgot to take out her earrings. A couple of boys have been kicked in the private areas. I know here they're not allowed to do real kicks or they hit very softly. It might be different in the states. Both my kids love their class and have learned a ton from it. You can always ask the instructor or sit in on a class or have him try one out.

My son loves all sports but has not been good at any. He was quite uncoordinated actually. He started TKWD 1 year ago and has done amazingly well at it. It has given him a lot more control over his body and coordination! I think it has even improved his athletic ability in other sports.

Yes, they will have to spar. My son only had one bloody nose from sparring and neither of my daughters have ever had an injury. They have injured themselves more just from kicking the air wrong than sparring! They have have had no moderate or serious injuries from tkwd though. They have had a broken nose from soccer, broken foot from jumping off playground equipment, torn up knees and elbows with gravel in them from track, and an over extended elbow from gymnastics. It has been our safest sport yet! And, yes they wear full gear including cups while sparring.

I can't recommend it enough!

My boys have been in TKD for several years now. My oldest has been going for 4 years. We love it! It's defensive, which I like. It teaches discipline and respect.

They do have to fight other kids as part of the training. Our boys wear full pads-shins, forearms, chest, and head. We also have mouth guards. My oldest doesn't enjoy sparring at this point. Our master is fine with that. He says that kids develop at different rates and my ds might never enjoy the sparring aspect. There are minor requirements in sparring for belt testing, but not much. And sparring didn't start until he had reached his 5th ranking belt.

Give it a try! It's a great sport.

Hi! You might also want to check out Judo. It is a great sport and you don't have to buy any sparring gear. It uses throws, foot sweeps and ground work. No doubt your child will know how to completely defend himself, if needed and it is a great way to learn self control and discipline.

Check out youtube for some Judo videos:)

class cost varies from school to school. The extra costs would include the uniform (top, pants and white belt) and testing for color belts. Again these costs vary from school to school. From my experience, the instructors are more than happy to explain their school and costs so there are no suprises later ;).

Oh yeah, about the cost. Like a pp mentioned, all schools are different. I would NEVER go to a school with a contract. If you have a Judo dojo near you, check them out! All you would have to pay for are the Gi's. Some have you pay for belts as they move up. Do you live around Chicagoland by any chance?

Oh yeah, about the cost. Like a pp mentioned, all schools are different. I would NEVER go to a school with a contract. If you have a Judo dojo near you, check them out! All you would have to pay for are the Gi's. Some have you pay for belts as they move up. Do you live around Chicagoland by any chance?

Interesting that you say this. We own a karate studio and all of our students have agreements with us. It's not about sucking people dry and tying them down... however, it weeds out the people who may not be as committed (at least at our school). It also helps parents to teach their children to be dedicated and committed to something when they have given their word. It's a good learning tool.

Before we started a studio our 2 boys and my hubby were taking karate at a school where we signed year agreements. When my youngest would complain about not wanting to go once in a while I told him he could chose to not go when his agreement was up... but he had given his word and had to stick it out. He always enjoyed karate... but sometimes needed nudging to get out of the house and get there. They have stuck with it for 5+ years. My oldest (13) is a 2nd degree blackbelt. The one who complained gets his black belt in March.

So I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of an agreement, but I would make sure I read it before I signed it. We do have a cancellation clause in the agreement. But rarely do we ever have people who want to leave.

I think all martial arts are good, but I would find something more along the lines of karate instead of taekwondo. But that's a personal preference.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes. This is all meant kindly and not geared negatively towards anyone.

Just my two cents.

Smiles,

Shalynn

As to your cost question - I would say if you're doing taekwondo most schools (that I know of) require that you buy your belts. So it could be a low monthly cost - $75 ish a month but will cost more for belts. I think the black belts are several hundred dollars. Our belts are all included in the monthly cost so it's a little bit more.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Interesting that you say this. We own a karate studio and all of our students have agreements with us. It's not about sucking people dry and tying them down... however, it weeds out the people who may not be as committed (at least at our school). It also helps parents to teach their children to be dedicated and committed to something when they have given their word. It's a good learning tool.

Before we started a studio our 2 boys and my hubby were taking karate at a school where we signed year agreements. When my youngest would complain about not wanting to go once in a while I told him he could chose to not go when his agreement was up... but he had given his word and had to stick it out. He always enjoyed karate... but sometimes needed nudging to get out of the house and get there. They have stuck with it for 5+ years. My oldest (13) is a 2nd degree blackbelt. The one who complained gets his black belt in March.

So I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of an agreement, but I would make sure I read it before I signed it. We do have a cancellation clause in the agreement. But rarely do we ever have people who want to leave.

I think all martial arts are good, but I would find something more along the lines of karate instead of taekwondo. But that's a personal preference.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes. This is all meant kindly and not geared negatively towards anyone.

Just my two cents.

Smiles,

Shalynn

well of course you wouldsay that your being bias ;). JK, good luck with your school. Martial Arts is a personal choice and of course knowing all your options are important. Also wanted to add for MelissaD, watch 3 to 4 classes at a few schools. How do the kids respond to the instructor, how do the PARENTS respond or act in class. That will tell you alot.

We got the sparring gear used, so I can't help with new costs. But, our school has a big tub of extras that kids can use without purchasing. Dobaks (the outfits) run us $25. We were paying $50 for 2 classes a week for 6 weeks. It was through a community school. Unfortunately, the city shut those down a few months ago. Our teacher is hoping to keep the costs down to $75/month, but normal around here is $125-150 a month.

HTH

well of course you wouldsay that your being bias ;). JK, good luck with your school. Martial Arts is a personal choice and of course knowing all your options are important. Also wanted to add for MelissaD, watch 3 to 4 classes at a few schools. How do the kids respond to the instructor, how do the PARENTS respond or act in class. That will tell you alot.

Tried to speak as mother who had her children in karate for 5 years and not as a business owner. :001_smile:

I would definitely go watch or even ask if you can jump in a couple of classes and try it out. We offer that to new students. We don't want them to join if they don't like it. We offer an introductory offer where they come in, get a uniform, and take two private lessons with the instructor. Then some ask to jump in a real class and we always allow that. I would just find a school that is interested in helping people not making money. Of course they are there to run a business, but I would always make sure I understood what their motives were. Speaking as unbiasedly as I can. :D

Smiles,

Shalynn

My daughter and I both take taekwon do. I think the single most important thing is to have a good chemistry with your instructor. The do-jang we go to is further than other schools, but we were instantly smitten with the owner/teacher. He is FABULOUS with the kids. The perfect mixture of big brother and tough coach. I think most places give you free introductory lessons to feel the place out a bit before committing.

In our school they do some sparring at lower levels, but it's mostly for green belts and up. I don't know if that's true everywhere, but it isn't until green belt that you're required to buy your own set of sparring gear (which seems to include chest protector, head gear, mouth-guard, and a cup for the boys).

The cost for us both is about $170 per month. Her classes are 45 minutes and mine are an hour, twice a week each, though they barely added anything to our cost when I joined. Prices vary a lot though, and I live in a very densely populated area with a lot of very high income neighborhood.

It's been great for us both physically and mentally. Dedication, respect and obedience are absolutely required, and it does wonders for self-discipline and confidence.

This is the only sport my daughter has participated in, but there is a sweet (but not particularly athletic) boy in her class whose parents tell me he's tried numerous sports and this is the only thing that he's enjoyed. Though you're required to give 100% of your effort, and to constantly improve, the atmosphere is not competitive and everyone seems to be very supportive of everyone else. When the school hosts events or parties it's easy to tell which kids are students and which are friends, because the students are respectful and non-judgmental (and always say "yes, sir").

Hi Scrapbabe! That is great you own a school! We hope to own our own within the next 5 years. Of course, ours will be Judo and BJJ :) Regarding contracts, I just feel that they are not needed. I don't like cell phone contracts, gym contracts and I especially do not feel that a contract for a martial art is needed. Just personal preference. Our club that we belong to is like a large extended family. People who want to be there, are there and people who don't, are free to leave.

Also, I have seen many people who have come from places with a contract who had a hard time getting out of it when they decided the school was not for them. It's great that you make it easy for your students. My friend signed her son up for TKD and her contract ended up going through some finance company. It is just strange to me:001_huh:.

So, those are my reasons:D.

Check out your local recreation centers. Ours offers judo and karate at affordable costs and no contracts. I studied karate more years ago than I cared to remember. My girls are not at all interested in the martial arts but if I just have a little more time and a lot more energy, I'd start back myself. As for contracts, I made a decision that I normally wouldn't sign contracts for activities for my children. Watch the class a couple of times before you make any decision. There's a judo school nearby that's a fighting school and rough in my opinion. Martial arts taught correctly should emphasis self control and discipline.

Yeah, you don't want the rough kids. We have guys come in who think they can do whatever they want. They think they can come in and dominate someone. Well, those people/kids will be taken down a notch or two. Sometimes it is funny when they will come in all dominant/macho looking and then leave a much different way:tongue_smilie:. They learn to keep themselves in check, otherwise they will have to leave the club.

I definately agree to watch some classes. Go to some different style schools and just see what feels right.

Good Luck!

We are really lucky to have our club. It is non-profit and through the rec center. We pay $50 a month for four 1.5 hour classes a week and no testing or belt fees!! :D The other really cool thing about our club is that all ages over 8 take all their classes together. So my hubby spends all that time with our kids! They have a family class once a week that he does with our little one too! The other really cool thing is that most of the instructors are volunteers and there are about 15 of them. So if you don't care for one, you are not stuck with them!

Hi Scrapbabe! That is great you own a school! We hope to own our own within the next 5 years. Of course, ours will be Judo and BJJ :) Regarding contracts, I just feel that they are not needed. I don't like cell phone contracts, gym contracts and I especially do not feel that a contract for a martial art is needed. Just personal preference. Our club that we belong to is like a large extended family. People who want to be there, are there and people who don't, are free to leave.

Also, I have seen many people who have come from places with a contract who had a hard time getting out of it when they decided the school was not for them. It's great that you make it easy for your students. My friend signed her son up for TKD and her contract ended up going through some finance company. It is just strange to me:001_huh:.

So, those are my reasons:D.

I agree, I'm a little leery of contracts myself. Especially if there is "no way" out. I know studios who take people to court if they try to get out of their agreement. That I will never understand. If people have a legitimate reason, we are always willing to work things out. It's just good customer service. I would ask anyone wanting you to sign an agreement what their cancellation policy is.

For the record,(for everyone) I have nothing against TKD. Some of the TKD studios around here are a rip off... so I have a bit of sour taste in my mouth. I think if you're taking TKD and getting what you want out of it, then it's fabulous. Like I said, karate over TKD was just a personal preference for me... before we ever dreamed of opening our own karate studio. I agree that the important thing is whether or not your instructor (and his beliefs) is the kind of person you would want mentoring your child. But martial arts is the best thing you can do for your child... bar none!

Smiles,

Shalynn

We are really lucky to have our club. It is non-profit and through the rec center. We pay $50 a month for four 1.5 hour classes a week and no testing or belt fees!! :D The other really cool thing about our club is that all ages over 8 take all their classes together. So my hubby spends all that time with our kids.

WOW! What a deal!

It seems odd though to put 8 year olds in with adults. It would be kinda cool to be in the same class as my daughter...but it seems a little dangerous to have big adults swinging around where there are kids. Do you ever have collisions? :001_huh:

Our school has 3 age brackets. 5-7, 8-12, and 13+, and the kids are usually separated by ability, though there are some mixed classes. Only a few 12 year olds are allowed to take class with the adults, though.

WOW! What a deal!

It seems odd though to put 8 year olds in with adults. It would be kinda cool to be in the same class as my daughter...but it seems a little dangerous to have big adults swinging around where there are kids. Do you ever have collisions? :001_huh:

Our school has 3 age brackets. 5-7, 8-12, and 13+, and the kids are usually separated by ability, though there are some mixed classes. Only a few 12 year olds are allowed to take class with the adults, though.

My 12yo recently started tkd, and it's a mixed age class. It doesn't seem to be a problem as the instructor has them spar only with people of similar size and ability. Ds isn't sparring yet anyway, as sparring is only for higher belts.

We are really lucky to have our club. It is non-profit and through the rec center. We pay $50 a month for four 1.5 hour classes a week and no testing or belt fees!! :D The other really cool thing about our club is that all ages over 8 take all their classes together. So my hubby spends all that time with our kids! They have a family class once a week that he does with our little one too! The other really cool thing is that most of the instructors are volunteers and there are about 15 of them. So if you don't care for one, you are not stuck with them!

Our club is very similar - it's $50 a month and you can even take more than one class a week - and the classes are two hours long! You just pay monthly, no commitment. All the people 8 and up are in class together. And all the sparring is non-contact, so no gear required. The classes are held at various schools and town rec places in the area, and I also think the instructors are volunteers, so that keeps their costs down.

My dd really liked it for a while, then decided she wanted to take ballet instead. Do you know how much more $$ that is? :glare:

No, there has never been a problem! Sometimes since little ones don't take as big of steps in a pattern, someone has to scoot to the side, but they are all well aware. They usually only spar and host and soul with someone of similar size. We have lots of underage black belts, so my kids get to practice with them a lot. My 8yo daughter is a high green belt and only weighs 45 lbs, so she rarely has a chance of meeting someone her own size even in competitions. Sometimes the teenage black belts get on their knees to spar her! :lol: But they are very careful and just playing, not actually trying to win!