Menu

Smithsonian Rock Tumbler -- any experience?

Nestof3

I bought one probably 10 years ago. I found it VERY loud and leaky. It's basically tumbling for DAYS on end, so an isolated spot is preferable. I eventually put ours outside in the backyard since I found the noise irritating. I had a tough time keeping it from leaking out all the water and abandoned the project. I was disappointed, but maybe the design has improved? To answer your question, yes, it did work, but with drawbacks.

I bought another one about two years ago and it worked great. Noise will be an issue with any of them. I can post a pic, name and store if you would like.

Danielle

I would appreciate knowing which one you have as a rock tumbler will probably be one of our purchases this year, too. :)

As mentioned, just keep in mind that the rocks need to tumble a couple of weeks or more, so not a project for the instant gratification set (like me:glare:).

Also, DO NOT pour the used slurry down your drains. The grit will settle to the bottom of the elbow joint in the drain and develop a concrete-like consistency. HTH

After some research, we got this Thumler's Tumbler brand. It's worked perfectly! No leaks, no problems. It is noisy, but they all are. We keep ours in the garage.

I got ours from Michael's w/ a coupon, so it ended up being cheaper than some of the toy quality tumblers.

Have fun! My kids love ours!

yvonne

Thank you all. USDGal, yes, please do post the one you bought. Yvonne, I will check our M's to see if they have that one so that I can use a coupn.

I bought one probably 10 years ago. I found it VERY loud and leaky. It's basically tumbling for DAYS on end, so an isolated spot is preferable. I eventually put ours outside in the backyard since I found the noise irritating. I had a tough time keeping it from leaking out all the water and abandoned the project. I was disappointed, but maybe the design has improved? To answer your question, yes, it did work, but with drawbacks.

I bought another one about two years ago and it worked great. Noise will be an issue with any of them. I can post a pic, name and store if you would like.

Danielle

As mentioned, just keep in mind that the rocks need to tumble a couple of weeks or more, so not a project for the instant gratification set (like me:glare:).

Also, DO NOT pour the used slurry down your drains. The grit will settle to the bottom of the elbow joint in the drain and develop a concrete-like consistency. HTH

After some research, we got this Thumler's Tumbler brand. It's worked perfectly! No leaks, no problems. It is noisy, but they all are. We keep ours in the garage.

I got ours from Michael's w/ a coupon, so it ended up being cheaper than some of the toy quality tumblers.

yvonne

We bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-36793-Rock-Tumbler/dp/B0006JAC8U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1279077716&sr=1-5. It was SO LOUD! The problem is that it's loud and it has to run for weeks. In the end it was worth it, not for the cheesy semi-polished rocks, but for the AAAHHH!!! I'm going crazy from the noise fun. The were a lot of jokes in the house based off that rock tumbler. :tongue_smilie:

good (horrible) fun.

The noise drove me insane. To solve the problem, I bought a white styrofoam cooler. I notched the top of the cooler to snugly fit the cord. This allowed the top to fit firmly. I put the tumbler inside. Then I covered the cooler with towels. The noise was very muted and tolerable.

yvonne

That's the one we have, too. It is WAY more quiet than the plastic barrel type. We wouldn't usually spend so much on that type of item, but it was a special circumstance. My 5yo only asked for one thing for Christmas, a rock tumbler. We live in a house with no garage or covered area outdoors. It was either buy the more expensive, but less noisy tumbler, or not get it for her. We kept it in the bathroom, under the sink. It did drive us a little crazy, but it could have been so much worse.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the one I originally pictured at M's with a coupon. My M's is not currently selling the one you bought. Bummer. It has been running for about five days. We plugged it in in the garage.

yvonne

yvonne

We have this one too and it works great! I've one like the Smithsonian one before and the quality isn't that great.