Menu

books for boys ages 13-14

sadiegirl

anyone have some suggestions for boys on books?

my boys loved the Anybody series by N.E. Bode

How to Eat Fried Worms

all the Gary Paulson books

Peter and the Starcatcher series

Kensuke's Kingdom(anything by that author)

Where the Red Fern Grows

The Great Turkey Walk

they love humor/old time stories...it is becoming increasing difficult to find books for middle/highschool age that fits in this category. Found a book called The Old Man and the Boy that my oldest son loves about a granddad and grandson...outdoor hunting and fishing stories...anything like that he loves?

thanks for suggestions as I usually order books for readers to show them on first day of school

James Herriot books: All Creatures Great and Small and etc (non-fiction about a country vet in Yorkshire in the 30s and 40s. Lots of horse stories and dogs and cats and terrific characters.)

Jack London books: White Fang and Call of the Wild

Brian Jacques: Redwall series and the other sea-faring series (I can't think of the titles right now...)

Robert Heinlein's novellas that were originally published in Boy's Life Magazine in the 50s: Have Space Suit will Travel, The Rolling Stones, Citizen of the Galaxy

Watership Down

Sherlock Holmes stories and Hound of the Baskervilles

Naomi Novik His Majesty's Dragon series -- historical fiction with dragons -- it's actually quite good!

Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathon Stroud (an all time favorite of my ds when he was 13/14)

My Family and Other Animals by Gerrald Durrell (memoir of a naturalist's idyllic childhood)

Kenneth Oppel has some fun titles as well for young adults

My younger ds loved non-fiction at this age. Neil DeGrasse Tyson has some wonderful books on astrophysics, such as Death By Black Hole and The Pluto Files (on Pluto losing it's planetary classification). Michio Kaku's physicis titles, Temple Grandin's books such as Animals Make Us Human are also good reads.

Edited by JennW in SoCal

What about Old Yeller? Fred Gipson has more titles, if you can find them.

The Little Britches series

The Sign of the Beaver

The Little House books

Hank the Cowdog series is hilarious!!!!

Jim Kjelgaard's dog stories, i.e. Big Red, Irish Red, Outlaw Red

Some Canadian authors my ds has enjoyed:

some of Farley Mowat's writing: Owls in the Family; Lost in the Barrens and its sequel The Curse of the Viking Grave

Roderick Haig-Brown wrote a boys' book Starbuck Valley Winter

Anything by Andy Russell, particularly Trails of a Wilderness Wanderer

Paul St. Pierre wrote a boys' book Boss of the Namko Drive (B.C. author - not sure how widely this would circulate)

Edited by KathyBC