Menu

My college classes: which would you take?

One of my requirements has me choosing only ONE of the following:

Communication 1109 intro

Philosophy 2200 intro

Foreign Language 1002 (requires 1001 as pre-req)

I've totally ruled out Communication. The class is a lecture style with 90 students and I simply cannot get up in front of 90 strangers and give speeches.

Philosophy looks interesting but the online reviews (RateMyProfessor.com) say the content is really difficult. I am not a logical thinker and DH is worried I will not do well in this class. Neither of us knows what I would be studying exactly, and why the material is so difficult.

The problem with foreign language is that I must take 1001 before I can take 1002. That means 2 semesters to fulfill my requirement instead of only 1 semester I would take for either communication or philosophy. The other problem I have is which language to choose. Spanish 1001 is totally full for Fall semester. I would either have to wait until Spring, which would put me back even further in filling this requirement, OR choose another language. I would choose from French, Italian or Latin. At least Spanish would give me a bit of knowledge to help in teaching. I can't imagine running into many french speaking children here in Georgia. Do you think I could do okay in a college level beginners foreign language?

I'm stuck between philosophy and foreign language. :)

Heh, I was going to say communication until I saw that it was a class of 90 students. I would faint dead away if I had to do that!

I had philosophy in college (in, oh, 1988??) and I hated it. I am *not* a logical thinker, and I hate to speak in class. Our instructor gave a big percentage of our grade for 'debating' in class. Example: What is something you absolutely KNOW? Reply: The sun will rise tomorrow. Prof: Really? Prove it. That was the first day of class, and I hated every day thereafter. I squeaked out a 'C' and was happy with that!

I imagine you can guess what my suggestion will be! :001_smile: While I'm not a 'language' person, I would do the language. Spanish is definitely more helpful here in the states (and in Ga!), but you might be surprised at the French speakers around. At the very least, if you do decide to learn Spanish down the road, French will be helpful.... I can read some Spanish and all I had was three years of high school French.

Both the local university & the CC are set up to assume a person has *no* previous experience in a language, as long as one takes the first part of the series. Also, there is a TON of help on the 'net, if you need it.

Can you get on a 'wait list' for the Spanish? Here, on the 'tuition due date', the school 'washes' any student who hasn't paid, and usually, a seat or two will open up. If not, and if you would prefer Spanish due to the practicality of it, I would take it in the Spring (and maybe Spanish 2 over summer?).

I loved my phil. class in college. Dd took hers last year and she loved it , she aced it, she was worried it would be hard.

Go for Phil., if still apprehensive, Italian is not so hard. I picked it up really quickly from a neighbor once.

Can you get on a 'wait list' for the Spanish? Here, on the 'tuition due date', the school 'washes' any student who hasn't paid, and usually, a seat or two will open up.

We have drop/add period which I am planning on watching the classes to see if a Spanish spot opens.

I loved my phil. class in college.

I'm finding out that philosophy is either a love it or hate class. I've not seen anyone say it is a middle ground. That's a bit scary.

As for communication, can you CLEP that?

I just checked, and there isn't a CLEP test for Comm. Bummer.

A communications class with 90 students can't expect many student speeches - wouldn't that be Public Speaking or Speech? Communications sounds like a lecture class with film/video clips on, well, communication - oral, video, radio, print media...

at least that is what it was when I was in school eons ago. it is probably not that hard of a class, either (which is why it has room for 90 students.)

A communications class with 90 students can't expect many student speeches - wouldn't that be Public Speaking or Speech? Communications sounds like a lecture class with film/video clips on, well, communication - oral, video, radio, print media...

at least that is what it was when I was in school eons ago. it is probably not that hard of a class, either (which is why it has room for 90 students.)

:iagree: Read the course description, and see if it's something you can do. I would think that it would tie in nicely with teaching too. :)

ETA: I googled what a course description might be for that course, and it did include student speaking. Considering the class size, it might be divided into smaller groups for the speaking assignments. I'd suggest checking with the professor, an academic adviser, or someone who has taken the course. If the alternative was two semesters of language, possibly not starting until the spring, I'd be inclined to give this course a go. Teaching does involve a lot of public speaking. You can do it!!! : )

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I would think the Communications class would be valuable to a teacher.

Logistically speaking, I can't imagine you give speeches in front of 90 people. There just wouldn't be time. You probably break into smaller groups or don't give them at all.

Can you get the requirement waived? I've just started back this semester, and my old communications class counted, but I saw an option on the form to substitute something to the effect of "life experience." I assumed it was for students who had done a lot of public speaking in high school, but an adult learner should have even more experience than that. I've become an expert at talking my way out of required classes. :D

This is what I can't figure out. I looked up the professors that teach this course on the 'Rate My Professor' website. Students give reviews of the course and instructor. This class has speeches though some professors expect more and some less. But every single review talked about speeches.

The catalog description:

COMM 1109 - An introduction to the fundamental components of the human communication process, emphasizing selected concepts, methods, and practice in dyadic, small group, and presentational settings. Covers such areas as information gathering, message design, audience considerations, verbal/nonverbal approaches, discussion/delivery strategies, critical analysis, and related media technology support resources. Includes student speaking assignments.

Then again, maybe they break the class up into small groups, but I haven't seen mention of that. It's still weird. :)

This is what I can't figure out. I looked up the professors that teach this course on the 'Rate My Professor' website. Students give reviews of the course and instructor. This class has speeches though some professors expect more and some less. But every single review talked about speeches.

The catalog description:

COMM 1109 - An introduction to the fundamental components of the human communication process, emphasizing selected concepts, methods, and practice in dyadic, small group, and presentational settings. Covers such areas as information gathering, message design, audience considerations, verbal/nonverbal approaches, discussion/delivery strategies, critical analysis, and related media technology support resources. Includes student speaking assignments.

Then again, maybe they break the class up into small groups, but I haven't seen mention of that. It's still weird. :)

How big a time slot does the class take? Is there anyone in the department you can ask - if the class has TAs running small groups? Could you stand doing a speech in front of a small group...noting that everyone else in the group will be thinking more of their turn having to get up and speak than paying attention to you ;-) (a hint I got from a short stint in Toastmasters). At Chapman College I had a professor who INSISTED I take his speech class - he felt everyone needed to get over fear of public speaking.

It would beat two semesters of a foreign language!

Added later - if you are planning to be a teacher, this class can only benefit you in the long run. A teacher certainly needs to be able to speak in front of a group! If you dislike public speaking, well, you are in good company. Sounds like this class will not expect students to speak in front of the entire class of 90 people (no time for 90 students to do that) but only in smaller groups - probably the same size as a classroom a teacher would face. So take the class. It will certainly benefit you more, as a teacher, than the philo. class. Just do it. You, the reluctant speaker, are the student for whom the class was designed, I bet.

Edited by JFSinIL