Menu

Drawing with Children tips

I just purchased the Mona Brookes books, and am enjoying reading it. Can anyone tell me personal stories of how you used it? Did you really use the tips like no talking, not using certain words, etc. How did it work for you?

Also, what supplies did you start with? It suggests fine black markers and a sketch pad to start. What type of marker did you use and what type of sketch pad. I know nothing about art paper, so be specific. I will be shopping soon.

I will be doing this with soon to be 3rd and 1st graders. Honestly if I was putting them in the "levels" they would be in separate levels. But I will need to do teaching time together. I am probably making this too hard. I should probably do the lower level with both of them?

Help me get an understanding of this! TIA

I used Drawing With Children with my five year old. We started about a year ago, I think.

Here's a link to a post on my blog about us using it.

http://www.veronicaboulden.com/2009/08/i-am-drawing-with-norah-few-times-week.html

We don't use the book anymore, but my daughter is using the skills she learned to create the drawings for her narration notebook now. Here's a link to my blog posts about that.

http://www.veronicaboulden.com/search/label/Narration

We did "follow the rules" that the book lays out. My daughter visualizes what she will draw and where she will place it on the paper before she puts her marker on the page... very important. I encourage her not to talk. This was a strict rule at the very beginning and we are more lax about it these days. But, when I notice she is not doing well, I say, "No more talking, okay." and she remembers the early days of pleasant, quiet drawing and then goes along and her work is all the better for it. For a five year old, it really matters that she NOT try and talk and draw at the same time. She really can't do both, like Mona Brookes says.

I never owned the book. I just borrowed it from the library. But, I think I should take another look at it now... just to refresh myself now that we a drawing so much stuff for her narration notebooks.

As far as supplies go, we started with a set of thin, colored markers. I don't remember the count. It was probably 100 colors. We got them at the craft store like Micheal's. And, we also started with a ringed pad of thick paper made for "drawing with ink" (also at the craft store).

Since then, we have purchased a less expensive set of Crayola brand markers at Walmart. I think the set we got is also 100 count. The Crayola markers are actually MUCH better than the overpriced set we started with. ??? Not sure why, but they work! ...And, now, we use plain copy paper that you can buy in bulk. This works well enough for us for now.

Hope this helps. :D

I almost forgot to show you this post! ;) It's about my "decorating craze," but if you scroll down, you will see some original artwork my daughter drew using the skills she learned with Drawing With Children. This is something our whole will treasure forever!!!!

http://www.veronicaboulden.com/2010/05/disclaimer-up-till-today-i-hated.html

And, about the levels, I would just start in the first book with both you girls and "move on" from there... I am not acquainted with the other books, but like I said, I think I need to check the books out (or buy them) and get re-acquainted with the program again, anyway. :D

Thanks for sharing Veronica! Those drawings look beautiful and I love how you displayed them. I've been meaning to start up Drawing With Children again and this might be the last bit of incentive I need.

When we started last year, we bought Prismacolor black markers that I found in my local office store (maybe Staples). It came in varying widths, perfect for this type of drawing. I also love all kinds of Sharpie markers, and I try to buy those that don't bleed through the paper. The Sharpies we've been using more than the Prismacolors. For paper, we just buy any kind of sketch paper that is just a little on the thick side and just the right amount of texture grip.

Here's a few helpful links:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/dwclp.htm

http://www.squidoo.com/drawingwithchildren

I used Drawing with Children with my dd when she was very young (now 14); I just found it last week when I was decluttering!

I remember using regular printer paper, sometimes newsprint paper (the 24 inch wide kind), and she used three types of Sharpie markers (fine, medium, wide). She also the crayola markers. She preferred not to use crayons nor to color her drawings, although she did use color with watercoloring. I had made her an easel that I put up on the back porch so she could paint daily. I don't remember about the "no talking" rule, but I do remember putting on soft classical music while she was drawing so we must not have talked. After drawing with the Brooks book she decided only to draw Pokemon, and that has lasted for at least 5 years.

Wow. Thanks for those links Satori. There was so much of the book we didn't do because it just wasn't arranged in an easy to use format, like the first website you showed. Looks like I can get the book again and easily take my daughter through some more lessons. Thanks!

Thanks for those links and advice. I bought DWC, too, and an terrified. I cannot draw to save my life, but DS1 loves to draw, so I thought we'd give it a shot. I was wondering about the ink pens, so it's nice to know I can get Crayola. I'm about spent out regarding the budget. I'm just really nervous about this.... stupid, I know. And I read what she wrote about "thinking you can't draw". I have some serious mental blocks regarding artwork. I think I need some therapy.:tongue_smilie:

I just purchased the Mona Brookes books, and am enjoying reading it. Can anyone tell me personal stories of how you used it? Did you really use the tips like no talking, not using certain words, etc. How did it work for you?

Also, what supplies did you start with? It suggests fine black markers and a sketch pad to start. What type of marker did you use and what type of sketch pad. I know nothing about art paper, so be specific. I will be shopping soon.

I will be doing this with soon to be 3rd and 1st graders. Honestly if I was putting them in the "levels" they would be in separate levels. But I will need to do teaching time together. I am probably making this too hard. I should probably do the lower level with both of them?

Help me get an understanding of this! TIA

I've been using DWC for a few years now, and we finally finished it a few weeks ago! :D When my kids were 3 or so years younger, I did try to keep the no talking rule, but it was hard. One kid was antsy, the other didn't want to have to draw. So I flexed on that rule, just to keep their attention for 15 - 30 minutes. I did try to change my language and theirs, but it wasn't perfect. I did manage to get it into their heads that there are no mistakes in drawing, only things that can be changed if you don't like them.

I used black Sharpie markers. Started with Crayola, but their colours on paper fade quickly. Then I also bought coloured Sharpies. I love Sharpies. We use regular copy paper bought in bulk. If my kids ever really got into drawing, I might buy special paper, but not now.

You really only need to know their "levels" for yourself. So that you know how to gear your teaching. You can still teach them both at the same time, just adjust your helps to each kid.

I really enjoyed using DWC - it taught me how to draw, and how to teach my kids. It taught us how to "see" to put things down on paper. Not how to copy other people's ideas of how to draw.

Do these tips also apply to "Drawing with Older Kids and Teens"? I found a copy of this at Goodwill for a $1 and bought it to try with my olders this year. I had DWC, but was never able to use it and sold it, I would love to be able to use the other book.

I think so. I looked at that book a few times, and it seemed to be just a more mature version of DWC. Mostly the same stuff, but geared to older kids and adults.

Love your DD's samples, Veronica -- very inspiring! So, you started DWC when she was 4? Also, as a tangent, where did you get those great frames for her work? Maybe they're just regular frames, but it looks so great because you gave her paper pre-cut to a size that would fit them??

I'm another who has the book on my shelf but never stuck with it. :( This thread has me rethinking.... Thank you, to all!

Thanks everyone for posting. The book is overwhelming to me too. I have barely started reading the first lesson though after reading all of the preliminary info. Maybe I will feel more comfortable with it once we start.

The "levels" thing worried me. It said to separate the levels and teach separately. I know that is probably aimed at a classroom setting. But my girls will almost surely be at different levels. We will be working at the same time. I am sure as in the other subjects it will just be a matter of what I help each with as a PP said.

I think we will start w/the Crayola thin markers. I may even have some right now. For those of you using Sharpies, did you not have issues with staining hands, furniture, clothes, and the like? I cannot see letting my 5 yr old at a pile of sharpies!:)

I have DWC too, we've used it some, but unfortunately when things get busy art is the first thing out the window. I've liked what we have done with it, and I can see that it'd be fruitful to continue. Since my kids were littler when we started (4, 6), we did the no talking rule and the warm-up exercises. We would break down objects to their fundamental shapes together. I have a very active son, and was amazed that the no-talking thing worked, and he was able to focus and work for a good 30 minutes. My kids are constantly drawing, I can't keep enough paper, crayons, and markers around. Looks like it's time to get going with it again. I didn't invest in high-quality markers or paper, I didn't feel they were mature enough yet to really take care of them. And I didn't want to be frustrated by it. Maybe when they're older.

I agree with others that it's overwhelming and the layout could use some improvement. But I think it would be worthwhile to persevere through it. I read thoroughly the first sections, and began applying them, rather than try to absorb all of the material at once.

Thanks everyone for posting. The book is overwhelming to me too. I have barely started reading the first lesson though after reading all of the preliminary info. Maybe I will feel more comfortable with it once we start.

I think we will start w/the Crayola thin markers. I may even have some right now. For those of you using Sharpies, did you not have issues with staining hands, furniture, clothes, and the like? I cannot see letting my 5 yr old at a pile of sharpies!:)

I didn't start out with Sharpies. We started with Crayola. But once I decided we'd continue with these lessons (slow though we went), I bought Sharpies because they just produced much nicer pictures, which was satisfying to my kids. I can't remember - my dd might have been 5 when we bought Sharpies.....but I was pretty strict with them at first - only at the table, put a piece of cardboard under the paper at the table, put the cap on when you are not using it, "watch where you are waving your hand!" :lol: type of thing.

For those with DWC sitting on their shelves :), it is one of those things that you have to sit down with by yourself, and try things out. Absorb a section of reading, try out a step, do the same again. Once you get through a section, you have a much better idea of how to proceed with your kids. Don't even try to do a whole lesson yourself at once - do it in sections, then teach your kids. I took either 3 or 4 years to get through it, because it was lower on the priority list. But I still wanted my kids to have the skills. And now we are done going through it, and it seems easy to me! So I'll have my kids keep practicing some of the different skills every so often, and sometime I will tackle either Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, or a painting book. It's a lot of fun to meander through art skills.

I had the same thoughts - SHARPIES?????

Me too!! lol Would love to hear if there are tips on safe Sharpie-usage!

But I did use those big "strip" packs of thin Crayolas when my teens were little (with DWC), and that was good. I got each child their own set and that was definitely a good thing just to foster more awareness of proper care, and they only used them at set "art times." Still would get messy sometimes, but nothing too awful. ;)

Stacy Z,

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your question about the frames. I got those from IKEA. If you don't have an IKEA near you, you could probably order them (or something similar that you prefer even more) online at their website. :001_smile:

http://www.ikea.com/

And, yes, my daughter was four (almost five) when we started DWC last August. We drew together before that, but we started implementing DWC then.

Edited by VBoulden

These sites are terrific! I am so excited to pull out my book again thanks to this fantastic thread. Maybe it will go better with "round 2" of my children. The specific lesson plans provided in the links seem very promising.

I made a simple drawing grid (5x5 squares; 2 sets on a page) years ago when my olders did DWC. It's very barebones and easy to do, but if anyone wants a copy, just PM or email me. It's not much, but I'm happy to share! :)

I had the same thoughts - SHARPIES?????

I had that same thought when I came downstairs one day and found my then toddler dd coloring happily with sharpies, through the page, off the page, and all over my brand new oak dining table. Fortunately I had a nice neighbor who peeled me off the floor [figuratively] and clued me in to rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has prevented many a Sharpie-induced heart attack since then. It gets Sharpie out of just about anything. My son no longer believes me when I tell him to be careful with Sharpies because they're permanent.

We've loved Sharpies since my dd was 4. I try to buy only retractable Sharpies, so as soon as she's done drawing/writing, she clicks the nib back in. In fact, I encouraged her to use a retractable ultra-fine Sharpie pen instead of a ball-point pen! The ball-point pens get ink all over her hands, not so with a permanent marker. Other than nice colored pencils, Sharpies are all we use now. We've never had a problem. My daughter is the kind of girl who I could trust never to put something inedible in her mouth when she was a baby either though.

Now that she's reading, I tell her if she's ever in question, and wants to write on her dry erase board or wipe-off globe, to read the pen to see if it says "Permanent" or "Dry Erase".