Menu

Help! Weavil things in my rice!

I'm so flipping mad. we buy our basmati rice in bulk. Like 3 25lb bags bulks every other month.

Then we store them in food containers.

Well they must have had weevils when we bought them.

I noticed one or two last time we made rice. Tried storing mint in it and sifting.

But today I opened the container and they number in the thousands. It looks like someone peppered my rice with these beetle/ant looking bugs.

I can't stomach that or sift that or ignore that.

And I ain't eating those either.

I can't bear the thought of spending that money again.

What can I do to get rid of these? What can I do to prevent them getting in the many pounds of pasta, flour, and so forth that I have?

Wahhhhh. Help me please. A friend says i have to toss the entire pantry! That's like throwing away several hundred dollars.:svengo:

Wahhhhh.

Help?!

If they came with the rice, I doubt you have much of a problem. But you do need to check everything in your pantry for infestation.

Clean infested areas. Vacuum cupboards, then thoroughly scrub all shelves with soapy water, paying close attention to cracks and corners. Dry the cleaned area thoroughly. Keep cupboard and food-storage areas dry.

Discard infested food. Store food properly. Clean containers with hot, soapy water, then rinse and dry them thoroughly before refilling. Use tightly sealed metal, glass or hard plastic containers to store food; plastic bags are inadequate. Keep old and new food separate, and keep infrequently used items in the freezer.

I learned the hard way that you shouldn't store bird seed in your pantry. I had those nasty meal moths everywhere. Lowe's carries a moth trap that works really well. I can't remember the specific name.

Now, I store any bulk items such as rice, oatmeal, flour, sugar, etc., in the freezer or extra fridge.

Now do you check it? It comes in big burlap sacks and o ce opened, I don't think anyone refunds and there's no point in exchanging as the shipment is probably a waste.

Both freezers and both fridges are stuffed

No way I can store dry goods in there

I had to deal with that when I first married DH and went into his kitchen. They were everywhere. I tossed everything (UGH!), bought Lock & Lock containers, and started over. As far as the rice is concerned - I would look at where you're buying it (is it clean?) and say something to the owner/manager about what you found in your last purchase.

Is there anyway to freeze the rice for 24 hours after purchase and then put in your storage containers? That would kill what may already be in your rice to prevent any population explosions in the future.

HTH....

I always freeze bulk for several days as soon as I bring it home. I keep baking flour, cornmeal and so on in the freezer all the time. There is no type of lid that has been adequate protection, IMO. And there are two brands of traps which use pheremone lures and are non-toxic. I always have them out in the summer. One brand is Pantry Pest, the other is Revenge.

It happens frequently here.

I freeze grains/flours for a week or two if we are in weevil season. It kills the eggs.

ALso, I am not bug phobic and weevils are a good source of protein! They also float to teh top once you put water in with teh rice- easily scooped off.

They are not full of germs. Early Ausralians and I am sure other colonies as well, survived on wearily flour. Weavils are not like cockroaches which do disgust me to some extent.

I guess I have become fairly immune to getting upset about weevils because at a certain time of teh year, they are everywhere. I buy sticky weevil traps (for teh moths they turn into) and freeze everything, and seal all packets thoroughly, but still they come.

It happens frequently here.

I freeze grains/flours for a week or two if we are in weevil season. It kills the eggs.

ALso, I am not bug phobic and weevils are a good source of protein! They also float to teh top once you put water in with teh rice- easily scooped off.

They are not full of germs. Early Ausralians and I am sure other colonies as well, survived on wearily flour. Weavils are not like cockroaches which do disgust me to some extent.

I guess I have become fairly immune to getting upset about weevils because at a certain time of teh year, they are everywhere. I buy sticky weevil traps (for teh moths they turn into) and freeze everything, and seal all packets thoroughly, but still they come.

Yeah. We did the see what floats and thank god for free protein boost the first couple times we noticed a few.

But there's LOTS now. I can handle a little bug with my heap of rice.

I can't handle a little rice wi my heap of bugs!:tongue_smilie:

I have weevils in everything too. I usually freeze rice etc. to kill the eggs when I buy the product. this helps reduce them. but like Peela, I am not to fazed about the weevils. I just scoop them off the cooking product, and hope the kids don't catch me.

I also pay the kids 5 cents for every weevil they find while eating. we make it into a big celebration, give them a pat on the back and congratulate them etc. instead of making it into a negative how disgusting thing.

I have weevils in everything too. I usually freeze rice etc. to kill the eggs when I buy the product. this helps reduce them. but like Peela, I am not to fazed about the weevils. I just scoop them off the cooking product, and hope the kids don't catch me.

I also pay the kids 5 cents for every weevil they find while eating. we make it into a big celebration, give them a pat on the back and congratulate them etc. instead of making it into a negative how disgusting thing.

Lol, I love that idea, Melissa!