Menu

*Scared* to rush through math

Yes, I am actually scared to do more worksheets than one per day for math and I understand this is the complete opposite of what homeschooling is for. I am still stuck in my PS state of mind. I could not imagine finishing Precalc in February and not starting Calc until July.

I am using MUS and it has 30 lessons. It should take me about 32 weeks to finish it since some lessons are 6 days long because there are 5 worksheets and 1 test. That is the thing though, it has taken me, so far, only 15 minutes per worksheet.

I am scared to rush because what will I do if I finish in February?? I can't buy new math curricula until at least June.

I have tried doing the worksheet in MUS and then following up the lesson with Lial but the two programs do not correspond at all! Lial doesn't really cover what MUS covers, and vice-versa. Even if I find something slightly close to the lesson from MUS in Lial, I either already did it in Algebra II and understand it perfectly, or it will show up later in MUS and since MUS builds to a lesson with the lessons before it, I might overwhelm myself.

So, I figure I have two options:

Option 1: Do as many worksheets for MUS as I can in an hour/or for as long as I understand and if I finish in February or earlier, study for SATs

Option 2: Do one worksheet a day in MUS and try to find the closest thing in Lial to reinforce, even if it will be covered later or was already covered in Alg. II

Which would you choose??

Thanks.

Also, if I did finish in February, what should I do to ensure I am ready for Calc since I'll be waiting about 4 months to begin it again.

Well, what *I* would do in your situation would depend on what I was going to do next year. If I were going to study for Calc BC next year, I would finish precalc and begin a leisurely introduction to Calculus making my transition easier next year (think hippocampus). And if I hadnt planned on BC, I would consider it, especially if I finished early and had time to begin the material sooner. If you didnt want to do that, studying hardcore for the SAT would at least keep your skills in check! You could even throw in some studying for the subject test.

Let it be known that as a teacher, though, I am a big supplementer. We usually use at least two textbooks so that dd gets exposure to different methodologies, and we do AMC-type problems a couple of times/week. However, I do put some effort into making my secondary book line up with my primary book. This website has a fair amount of extra problems that may correspond? Or I know there is tons of stuff online somewhere out there!

Really, though, I would move quickly through what I know because otherwise I would be bored to death. Plus, once you get to trig, some of the material may be new and take you longer.

I would go ahead and finish MUS Precal and then start working on SAT math prep on Tu/Th while working on precal review on M/W/F.

Some sites you may want to check out:

http://math.tntech.edu/machida/MATH_GO/Precalculus_Review/

http://cgi1.math.umb.edu/~greeley/PreCalculusReview/Diagnostics.cgi

http://www.coolmath.com/precalculus-review-calculus-intro/index.html -- this one looks really neat

I'd go ahead and move through precalc at a speed which does not exceed your understanding -- and then start calculus slowly and aiming for complete understanding. Calculus really, really builds on what you've been doing already, while not repeating a lot of material you've already seen, and if you take 4 months to do the first chapter or two you'll still be ahead and have been reviewing your precalc.

I know you said you can't afford much in the way of curriculum. Strang's calculus text is available free online at http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/textbook/

It's regarded as an excellent self-teaching textbook and the answers to all the odd problems are available. He (Strang) also has a free series of videos on the highlights of calculus available on the MIT website.

Another alternative would be to work through precalculus, then download some free precalculus worksheets/do review problems from the Lial's textbook, which should mesh a lot better once you've gone through the whole book.

I'd move through the MUS at what seems a comfortable pace to you and then use whatever leftover time you have to do just the reviews in the Lial's book. That should keep it fresh and if any of the reviews show a need for more mastery, you could then go back and look at that chapter in Lial's more closely.

I would work through MUS at your own pace. MUS is an at your own pace kind of curriculum. I'd work as many problems as you can in an hour. Finish early. Choose what to do next as you get close to the end of the MUS book. In our experience the first 10 lessons of MUS are very easy and gets a bit more difficult .

I'm sure it is hard to get out of the PS mindset. :) But, you'll do it!:)

I would work through MUS at your own pace. MUS is an at your own pace kind of curriculum. I'd work as many problems as you can in an hour. Finish early. Choose what to do next as you get close to the end of the MUS book. In our experience the first 10 lessons of MUS are very easy and gets a bit more difficult .

I'm sure it is hard to get out of the PS mindset. :) But, you'll do it!:)

Very, very hard. I didn't think it would be so hard. I thought I would be happy to

be out of PS and that would help me to get used to homeschooling, but I was very wrong. I am overwhelmed with all the options and freedom.

Thank you for the support :D

Go through one program at a time.

You have chosen 2 programs that were NOT created to the same standards... MUS is a much simpler program--so go through it first.

THEN go through Lial--you can start with the chapter reviews-- work ALL of the problems--WHEN you come to a problem type you have not worked before or you need more instruction on, you can stop and go back to the linked section and work from there.

It is difficult to mesh 2 programs that are so different together.

MUS is an easier (scaled down to the very basics) program and Lial is a traditionally standard college level text.

A few students do well with a scaled down program--they can NATURALLY expand on the concepts on their own... most will do better with a traditional program at this level (in my personal experience as a Math teacher).

Pre-Calc should challenge you--- because Calculus will!

Did you know that the most common errors students make in calculus are algebra and trig mistakes? Because success in calculus is very dependent on how well you know your algebra and trig, you should be doing what it takes to make sure you are solid in those skills. It is not enough to be familiar with trig identities - you must be able to quickly use them, and be able to discern which one is the most appropriate. The same goes with Algebra - you must be able to simplify and factor functions very well.

I am unfamiliar with MUS and Lial, so I can't give you specific advice there, but just make sure you know that algebra and trig! If you are solid with those skills, and have a basic working knowledge of probability and geometry, you should be fine with the SAT math. If possible, keep up your SAT math skills by doing the SAT question of the day and working in a prep book a bit each day.

Best wishes,

GardenMom

Go through one program at a time.

You have chosen 2 programs that were NOT created to the same standards... MUS is a much simpler program--so go through it first.

THEN go through Lial--you can start with the chapter reviews-- work ALL of the problems--WHEN you come to a problem type you have not worked before or you need more instruction on, you can stop and go back to the linked section and work from there.

It is difficult to mesh 2 programs that are so different together.

MUS is an easier (scaled down to the very basics) program and Lial is a traditionally standard college level text.

A few students do well with a scaled down program--they can NATURALLY expand on the concepts on their own... most will do better with a traditional program at this level (in my personal experience as a Math teacher).

Pre-Calc should challenge you--- because Calculus will!

Excellent advice!!! :)