Menu

Grade level for Animal FArm?

radiobrain

Just curious.

My husband started my 11 yo (6th/7th) reading Animal Farm last night.

At first I was a bit mad, then I said "Why not?". I had wanted to have it be a read-aloud with discussion with both my kids, but hadn't decided when...at least a year though.

So, what say the hive on this? Age, grade?

I don't know the suggested age but both my boys read it themselves at ages 11 and 13 and loved it. We had lots of great discussions about it and they still say it was one of their favorite books which they cite for examples in many essays.

Lynn

Thanks!

I asked how it was going and he said, "Oh, I like it! It's really easy to read":tongue_smilie:.... plus he knows it is about communism, and we are getting to Russia and the right time period in our European History class (I am a bit behind). He is kind of excited about that.

I read it in high school. I really don't think I would have understood it until then.

I know I read it in middle school, but I wasn't sure when. We have a LOT of socratic discussion in our house, and I can't keep my mouth shut about some things... so I think that will be fine. He has a decent grasp on that sort of thing.

I do appreciate your opinion though!!! I will wait until at least 8th to do Brave New World. hahahaha

I read it to my son when he was in 6th grade and we were studying the Russian Revolution. He liked it a lot. Then he read it again in 8th grade as part of his literature course. He liked it again and got more out of it the second time.

I have read it several times starting around jr. high age. However, I got the most out of it in my advanced Political Science class in college. We had this "hippy" professor and I mean that literally (this was the 90's and he was definitely still in the 60's) and he was a wealth of stories. I definitely took a lot more away from the book after his class. I think we watched Dr. Zhivago while studying the book as well.