Menu

Dh is reading about his high bp. We have questions

Dh has high BP and we are trying to bring it down with exercise and diet. He is reading online about foods to help. In his reading he has come across something on highbloodpressure.org that says to avoid kidney beans, black-eyed peas and potassium if one is over weight or diabetic along with having high BP.

Huh?

I can't find highbloodpressure.org so I have no clue where he is. One of our issues lately is his not taking control of his health and expecting me to do it. So I can't lean over his shoulder. I did say I'd ask the Hive.

Has anyone heard anything about beans and bananas and high BP?

I would see if he could meet with a nutritionist.

The closest thing we have to a nutritionist is when Peela posts about food. ;)

Unfortunately we are in an isolated area so people that are nutritionists, homeopaths and the like are difficult to get to in less than 2-3 hours.

In a nutshell, he should avoid salt. His diet should revolve around fruits and veggies, whole grains and probably about half the meat he eats now, if he is anything like my DH. I wouldn't get hung up on specific foods to eat or avoid, with the exception of avoiding sugar, white flour and sodium.

Because weight is such a huge factor weight watchers (and the resulting weight loss) did the most for my family member. But my son takes a special form of coq10 for a metabolic condition and I know it's been shown in studies to lower blood pressure. I'd look into it/consider it. http://www.epic4health.com/bloodpresand.html The ones by Tischon Corp are different than what you get at the local store and what were used in the study (and studies for my son's condition, Parkison's, etc....all the studies with coq10). This is also the only form metabolics and similar doctors use for their patients. If you want to try it try it from them (epic4health) and do it at 200 mg. is my suggestion. It's safe and may help a lot.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I don't know anything about beans and bananas but I do know that purposeful deep breathing helps blood pressure (perhaps dependent on the cause?). They sell an expensive devise for this but deep breathing on your own for 15 minutes a day would probably be equally effective.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-10-24-bloodpressure-device_x.htm

I'd look at Dr. McDougall's site. There are many testimonies from people who have brought their bp down almost immediately from switching to his diet. He recommends a bp of 110/70, which doesn't seem hard to achieve on his diet.

Good luck, whatever you do.

In a nutshell, he should avoid salt. His diet should revolve around fruits and veggies, whole grains and probably about half the meat he eats now, if he is anything like my DH. I wouldn't get hung up on specific foods to eat or avoid, with the exception of avoiding sugar, white flour and sodium.

Salt affects some people, but not others. If he's not salt-sensitive, there's no reason to avoid it.

For years, I had kidded my DH about eating like a college kid. It didn't really affect his health until he hit 40, then his blood pressure spiked. He had been on meds for several years when - out of the blue this past January - he decided to go on a diet. He gave up all sodas (except one Mountain Dew a week), cut out all junk food (except one pizza slice a week) and started eating a mostly raw fruits/veggie diet. He lost 40 pounds and his blood pressure fell. His doctor told him later that you lose something like 5 points off your bp reading for every 10 pounds lost. He is now off meds. :001_smile: My DH is the last person in the world that I would think would diet - and stick with it. For 20+ years I have known him, he ate donuts for breakfast and drank nearly a six-pack of sodas a day. When we ate out, it was always something fried.

We have always eaten healthy at home - little to no processed foods, lots of fresh produce. But all that junk he ate at work... just really started affecting his health.

:iagree:

Dont get hung up on the details at least until he has changed some of the big things and headed toward a more vegetarian, plant based diet (low meat, and low dairy).

Dh has high BP and we are trying to bring it down with exercise and diet. He is reading online about foods to help. In his reading he has come across something on highbloodpressure.org that says to avoid kidney beans, black-eyed peas and potassium if one is over weight or diabetic along with having high BP.

Huh?

I can't find highbloodpressure.org so I have no clue where he is. One of our issues lately is his not taking control of his health and expecting me to do it. So I can't lean over his shoulder. I did say I'd ask the Hive.

http://www.highbloodpressureinfo.org/food-for-high-blood-pressure.html

This is what I found.

Huh?

I have high blood pressure and my dh is diabetic. I never heard what your dh researched. In fact, you want potassium and you want foods with soluble fiber like beans. (Maybe he read a "not" into a sentence that wasn't there!) I would go to a reputable site for information. The best dietary plan to follow is the DASH diet. You can google that. It is reputable, research-based, yadayada and it's healthy for the whole family. You can have an effect on bp within a couple weeks with the DASH diet--not to mention the rest of your health. And it's not a "diet" in terms of losing weight--though you may lose weight--it's a "diet" in terms of a plan for what foods to include in your diet even more than it's about foods to exclude, as we typically think of "diet" as being. Basically, it's about eating as many vegetables and fruits as possible (like 9 servings a day), lots of whole grains, two servings of low-fat dairy, and then lean protein. I have never been able to eat as much as I was supposed to on the DASH diet, but have lost weight and felt really, really good!

I have high blood pressure and my dh is diabetic. I never heard what your dh researched. In fact, you want potassium and you want foods with soluble fiber like beans. (Maybe he read a "not" into a sentence that wasn't there!) I would go to a reputable site for information. The best dietary plan to follow is the DASH diet. You can google that. It is reputable, research-based, yadayada and it's healthy for the whole family. You can have an effect on bp within a couple weeks with the DASH diet--not to mention the rest of your health. And it's not a "diet" in terms of losing weight--though you may lose weight--it's a "diet" in terms of a plan for what foods to include in your diet even more than it's about foods to exclude, as we typically think of "diet" as being. Basically, it's about eating as many vegetables and fruits as possible (like 9 servings a day), lots of whole grains, two servings of low-fat dairy, and then lean protein. I have never been able to eat as much as I was supposed to on the DASH diet, but have lost weight and felt really, really good!

Thank you. I'll Google it.