Menu

What do you use after Singapre math?

Marsha

We are using Singapore's New Elementary Math (known as NEM here.) It is a jump regarding difficulty and presentation. Not the cute cartoons anymore (or not as many :)) My oldest had a little trouble in the beginning, not with the material, but with the presentation style. It was an adjustment, but he is doing fine. My son just finished 6B and we are having him do the extra practice books until next fall before we start NEM 1.

My oldest went to ps after she finished 6B and took prealgebra there. She returned to hs and did Jacobs Algebra and Jacobs Geometry (where she is right now).

My middle dd finished 6B about this time last year. She did a one month free trial of aleks pre-algebra, but she really didn't like the program. Then she worked through Math Smart Junior (you can find it on amazon for just $0.01). Now she is working through two complete Algebra programs. She gets stressed out working through computer-based programs and she finds the workload in Jacobs to be pretty high, so she likes alternating back and forth between Kinetic Books Algebra I and Jacobs Elementary Algebra. She won't finish until late this year or early next year, but she's only in 7th grade, so she has plenty of time.

If you have a younger child, or you aren't in a rush, I highly recommend using Russian Math 6. A lot of the concepts are review of 6A/6B, but they're presented in a different way. RM6 challenges the student to articulate and explain what they know about math. It's stretched our thinking in a new way.

It also presents a number of new concepts (like negative numbers) to the student. I found it a very worthwhile way to do math after finishing 6B and it acted as somewhat of a transition for moving into NEM. Dd struggled with NEM before RM6 but now she's flying through it.

http://www.perpendicularpress.com

arah

If you have a younger child, or you aren't in a rush, I highly recommend using Russian Math 6. A lot of the concepts are review of 6A/6B, but they're presented in a different way. RM6 challenges the student to articulate and explain what they know about math. It's stretched our thinking in a new way.
This is what I'm planning to do with my oldest. I have to look at 6A/6B before deciding whether to use RM6 instead of Singapore 6A/6B, but I suspect it will be after.

It also presents a number of new concepts (like negative numbers) to the student.
I think RM6 hits all the pre-algebraic concepts covered in the traditional US math sequence that are missing from Primary Maths. If the child is moving into something other than NEM, it will fill in the gaps.

We're in Horizons and CWP in singapore. We're doing Lof fractions and decimals as pre-algebra. Then we plan to move to Dolciani's 60's or 70's texts for proof based algebra. We'll get there when we get there. From then on we'll be doing the normal high-school sequence and probably end with Calc at the community college before graduation.

Kimberly