Menu

Another Dave Ramsey Thread...

If you were interested in a basic introduction to DR's methods, had never read his books, attended classes, etc. but were interested in a financial overhaul, where would you begin? If money was tight and you just couldn't afford the seminar route due to a potential job lay-off on the horizon, what book should you begin with? And finally, would it be hard to begin DR's methods if you are in the midst of a crisis?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We borrowed The Total Money Makeover from the library. I created a spreadsheet in Excel that mimicked his budget. I think you can start any time. I found budgeting, in general, very freeing for me. I don't have a sense of crazy, out-of-control spending.

Borrow The Total Money Makeover book from the library. It will lay everthing out for you and show you how to make a budget. When you are in crisis mode you will not follow the plan exactly, because you will not be paying down debt first you will be saving for emerencies.

Don't forget his subscription service - $10 a month for the budgeting software, goal trackers, debt charts, forums to ask questions, podcasts and his endless "Ask Dave" articles. You could try it for a month or two until you get a handle on things and then cancel.

I'm certainly agreeing with borrowing The Total Money Makeover from a library. Also, someone upthread briefly mentioned his podcast - well, they are AWESOME!! Go to his site, find his podcast, and subscribe for free. They will show up everyday on your iTunes, then you can download them and listen to all his shows without commercials at your convenience. These shows are inspirtional and educational - lots of bang for NO dollars!

If my library didn't have the book, or I was having to wait to borrow it, I would go to his website and start following the steps. As for starting in the middle of a crisis, don't. Start listening to Dave's podcasts (you can listen to an hour for free every day), and you'll find that it's next to impossible to follow the plan in a crisis. He says get through the crisis, wait until the dust has settled, and then evaluate and start up.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Borrow The Total Money Makeover book from the library. It will lay everthing out for you and show you how to make a budget. When you are in crisis mode you will not follow the plan exactly, because you will not be paying down debt first you will be saving for emerencies.

:iagree:

His radio show is on many local stations. Check his website for availability in your area. Once the emergencies are passed, you can then use the money you've saved (if there is any left) and use it to pay on debt after your $1000 baby emergency fund.

The Total Money Makever book is all you need to implement Dave's plan. We were almost out of debt by the time we went through the class. The other thing I would recommend is listening to his radio program everyday day if you can. Turn it on while your fixing dinner or in the car. That's what kept us going. We paid off 32K in 18 months. You can do it.

Take care,

Cindy

Guest Cindie2dds

I watched his past shows on hulu.com since I didn't want to buy the books before I knew if I like his ideas. They were very informative and really helped.

Basics ~

~cut up your credit cards (all of them).

~use cash only for everyday purchases and debit for online purposes when needed.

(I use my debit card at the gas station and write a check for everything else. It's easier for me to keep track. Cash is too hard for me to budget.)

~sell everything you can to build up an emergency fund of $1,000 as fast as you can so you don't need the credit cards.

~call and try to get the interest rate on credit cards lowered.

~create a budget with savings in there automatically deposited in your savings account if you can.

That's just the starters I remember.