Menu

We had to put our chickens into the chicken tractor

It will be temporary, but they are too destructive to our gardens!! I was having to erect fences around every garden!

It makes me sad, because I really enjoy having them running around. Our chicken tractor is mobile, so they will still be on grass and bugs; and it has nest boxes in it for them to lay eggs in.

So...how about the rest of you with chickens--how do you keep them out of your gardens? :glare:

not having one, LOLOLLOLOL! Ok....that wasn't very funny.....:D

I have a 'section' of my yard fenced off for my chickens.....It is a moveable fence so I can pick it up and put it elsewhere when I want.....Maybe you could try that?

Tammy

My solution won't help you, I keep mine at our farmhouse down the road, instead of at our house. When I had chickies at our house they destroyed everything and it took our yard years to recover. My flower garden that I had worked and worked on was wiped out in one summer. Grass scratched up. Never again.

I know what you mean. I have to keep mine in jail now because they were being a pest to my neighbor. They look so mournful and have spent these last few days pacing up and down the fence, looking for a way out. :sad:

They moan and plead whenever I go out there. :(

I try to make up for it by giving them extra table scraps.

Chickenpatty

That's a beauty. We have a couple of different ones; nothing so lovely. We also have one made of PVC pipes that the two yr old can move. lol Not pretty, but handy.

Our run is PVC, and the house part is an abandoned plastic playhouse that dh put on wheels. I'd love to have one like the one in the picture, but I'm wondering how they move it. It looks heavy and likely to dig into the ground instead of slide across it. ?

It will be temporary, but they are too destructive to our gardens!! I was having to erect fences around every garden!

It makes me sad, because I really enjoy having them running around. Our chicken tractor is mobile, so they will still be on grass and bugs; and it has nest boxes in it for them to lay eggs in.

So...how about the rest of you with chickens--how do you keep them out of your gardens? :glare:

It was too much shuffling about for them -- their laying dropped way off! Instead, we built another mobile coop (and yours may be like our second generation, rather than like our first, which was done very much in the Joel Salatin style), and around it we installed a mobile, electric fence. Two sources are Premier Fencing and Kencove. I've used both companies and have a slight preference for Kencove. Well worth the $, though not cheap. The whole set up gets moved once a week or so, depending on number of birds you are enclosing.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

It turns out some of the girls aren't getting along in close quarters. We are experimenting now with different combinations! ha.

I hope we don't notice a drop in egg production. :001_unsure:

It's been awhile since we had girls in the tractor; I can't remember how well they produced during that time.

I tried to post a picture of one of our chicken tractors, but the file was too big and I don't know how to shrink it.

Tracy

The chickens have their space behind the barn (large field). Simon is not allowed to chase them there. If they are near the house, Simon gets to have his fun. (within reason). I usually keep him on a leash and just the sight of him makes them run.

I used to have to fence all my gardens in too. We have had Simon since July and the chickens do not come around the house anymore. :D

I like to joke we have backyard battery hens. But we did do an extension on their cage. And it is outside. Its not so bad anymore, they have quite a run. But for a long time we had a tiny rabbit hutch for them.

We let them out every couple of weeks for the day. They don't do too much destruction in a day.

We call chickens 'chooks' here in Australia. We have Kentucky Fried Chook, backyard chooks, BBQ chook.