Menu

History woes...WP/BP/SOTW/TOG

lovinmomma

I've been trying to choose a history for 2 years now. I would like to voice some of my thoughts on the choices (I'm pretty spread out across the board), and here what you all think. My priorities are these:

1) I want to be able to keep all of my kids on the same time period

2) I am fairy CMish, so I want to keep things light in the early years with content subjects

3) I have to purchase all of the books. I can NOT use the library.

So, here are the options that I have in mind:

1) Do SOTW with the AG. No extra books, but maybe a few. Sure would be hard to narrow all of those awesome books down to jsut 5-7. Use an encyclopedia. I would also use Egermeimers to follow along in Biblical history.

-I'd still have to come up with Read-Alouds, and I really dislike picking my own literature. I just hate having to choose. :tongue_smilie:

2) TOG done lightly. I feel that I can par this down well and utilize SOTW.

- Although I think that this is a reasonably priced purchase for those using it for years to come...I'm not sure that I will use it in the later years. I'm not ready to commit to that. Also, I could afford it (having to buy all of my books) for year 1, but not so sure I could in years to come. Does it get more expensive or is year 1 a good representation?

I would still probably need to add in some Read-Alouds...bummer

3) WP's HIH. I woulnd't have even considered it before, because I didn't like that much SOTW in 1 year, but now with the new WP exclusive it is a contender. In the evenings we would probably still listen to the SOTW audio for fun. I could then see which my children prefer...SOTW or WP.

-It may be a little dull or boring, because I couldn't afford the You Wouldn't Want to Be....series.

- I would probably really par it down to be light. Meaning we would probably end up reading the exclusive, and doing the hands on, maybe the internet links or encyclopedia. That's about it. Oh, and maybe some of their DVD recommendations.

4) Biblioplan

-I'm not sure I like how multiple chapters are covered in 1 week. Also, I read that if your oldest is a 1st grader the Read-Alouds aren't appropriate. So, I'd be back to choosing books again.

<SIGH> I'v been searching for years. I realize that is probably ridiculous, but I need to move towards a decision. We are moving overseas next year, and I need to start preparing and picking out the books, etc. Any thoughts would be VERY appreciated. THANKS! I will have 2 kids in 1st grade when this history would be used. Later I will have a younger 1 or 2, but not for this year.

My thoughts on Biblioplan - I do use the library, but had to use ILL for ALOT of books on their list. (I borrowed it from a friend to consider buying.) Since there was no additional information, but the schedule, I don't think this would be a very good choice. You have to have the books to read through and some of them are very hard to find which makes them more expensive.

We've used SOTW, but I am familiar with TOG. If you were going to school all the way through then TOG would probably be a good investment. However, if you're unsure about the future, then you could easily pick up a used SOTW book and AG. (You really wouldn't need the AG if you're not going to use it for a book resource; however, I love the coloring sheets and maps for my young ones.)

Then, you would need UBWH or Kingfisher Encyclopedia.

You said you can not use the library - do you have access to thrift stores or local homeschool group sales or yard sales. You can find so much used. I always find lots of books at Goodwill. If you are using SOTW, it doesn't have to be the books listed in the AG (although there are some good books), you can get any that will help with that time period. However, TOG does have specefic books for their history.

Best of luck!!

I second MFW. Buy the Deluxe package because it includes Read Alouds. It would also cover your Bible, science, geography, art and music.You'd just need to add Math & LA. You can re-use MFW with your younger kids too, only repurchasing consumables. Or you can page protect/report cover (what I do) your consumables and use dry erase markers.

Kim

Not to be a pain, but have you considered MFW? It is a CM/WTM unit study, very age appropriate, uses SOTW, most read alouds are chosen for you, no need to go to the library but if you want more books the highly recommended books on their extra book lists have a *. Every book on the extra book list has a note with it about content, age-apropriateness and the like so if you are wanting extra books, it is easy to pick them.

If money is an issue there is a used yahoo group. In my experience, if you are willing to pare things down a bit, a first grader can join the main family cycle so that all kids are on the same time period.

The Hazel family lived overseas for years so they know what it is like to have no library and MFW was written with that in mind.

Thank you. I don't really like their 1st grade program. I do love their 2nd grade, though, but that won't help me for 1st. THANKS!

My thoughts on Biblioplan - I do use the library, but had to use ILL for ALOT of books on their list. (I borrowed it from a friend to consider buying.) Since there was no additional information, but the schedule, I don't think this would be a very good choice. You have to have the books to read through and some of them are very hard to find which makes them more expensive.

Definately good to know. Thanks for that heads-up.

We've used SOTW, but I am familiar with TOG. If you were going to school all the way through then TOG would probably be a good investment. However, if you're unsure about the future, then you could easily pick up a used SOTW book and AG. (You really wouldn't need the AG if you're not going to use it for a book resource; however, I love the coloring sheets and maps for my young ones.)

I was thinking the AG for the hands-on.

Then, you would need UBWH or Kingfisher Encyclopedia.

You said you can not use the library - do you have access to thrift stores or local homeschool group sales or yard sales. You can find so much used. I always find lots of books at Goodwill. If you are using SOTW, it doesn't have to be the books listed in the AG (although there are some good books), you can get any that will help with that time period. However, TOG does have specefic books for their history.

This last paragraph is what is hard for me. TOG does have the books picked out for you. I woud hate to try to sift through all of the SOTW titles to pick out a few.

Best of luck!!

I second MFW. Buy the Deluxe package because it includes Read Alouds. It would also cover your Bible, science, geography, art and music.You'd just need to add Math & LA. You can re-use MFW with your younger kids too, only repurchasing consumables. Or you can page protect/report cover (what I do) your consumables and use dry erase markers.

Kim

See note above. I like it for 2nd+, but I don't really like their 1st grade program. Thanks

Not to be a pain, but have you considered MFW? It is a CM/WTM unit study, very age appropriate, uses SOTW, most read alouds are chosen for you, no need to go to the library but if you want more books the highly recommended books on their extra book lists have a *. Every book on the extra book list has a note with it about content, age-apropriateness and the like so if you are wanting extra books, it is easy to pick them.

If money is an issue there is a used yahoo group. In my experience, if you are willing to pare things down a bit, a first grader can join the main family cycle so that all kids are on the same time period.

The Hazel family lived overseas for years so they know what it is like to have no library and MFW was written with that in mind.

MFW doesn't use SOTW in their first unit (Creation to Greeks) so this wouldn't apply if you are doing Ancient history.

See note above. I like it for 2nd+, but I don't really like their 1st grade program. Thanks

I don't want to push it... but I don't want you to completely discredit MFW....

I used Adventures in MFW very successfully with a Ker.

Hmmm... really? Is that a common thing for people to use it for their oldest child that is younger than 2nd?

This intrigues me too!! I bought MFW 1st to use this upcoming year and I don't like it! But I LOVE everything else I saw of MFW at a convention recently. I would love to be able to use Adventures with my 1st and K'er this year!

Oh, decisions, decisions. I am also in the process of nailing this down for my 1st grader. Her bro., 6th grade, is doing WP Quest for the Middle Ages. I'm either going to tag her along (which will require planing on my part - I make myself crazy when I plan) or find her a fun 1 yr. world history program.

I have looked at the programs you mentioned plus more. I need a 4 day plan for history with books and spines mapped out. I want my readers planned as well. I have ruled everything out except HIH and WTMs plan for 1st grade history. I reread the WTM plan today and it's solid. Excellent instruction and practicing of important skills. I'm concerned HIH isn't all that it's cracked up to be, esp. for the price. I drool over some of their other programs but I'm not sure about HIH.

I'm also keeping the possibility of using SL in my pocket. We've tried it before and didn't love it but, now, with 4 kids (one totally wild toddler), I don't have the luxury of pulling together my own plans. I would definitely look at their readers w/schedule. If I were going overseas I wouldn't hesitate to order an all inclusive package and be done with it.

I seriously want to love HIH but the price is steep for a history program alone and I'm not at all fond of the extra books they've chosen. I wouldn't use those anyway. If I leave those books out, all that's left is their exclusive, notebooking and activities. I don't know. I would really like to flip through their guide.

I can also empathize with trying to choose books from an awesome list. I go crazy for SL, BP, WTM, and VP. I seriously drive myself nuts. I am forcing myself to get a grip this year, make some choices (I will choose books that show up on several lists - so many are repeated they HAVE to be good, right?), and move on.

I am anxious to hear more ideas. I'm positive I was not helpful:tongue_smilie:

Have you considered Heart of Dakota? It is a CM curriculum and you wouldn't have to use the library at all. They offer wonderful book packages (both read alouds and readers) to complement whichever guide you are using. I like MFW's Adventures but I can't imagine using it without access to a good library. The end of the year is very light with the focus of the day being the state sheets. They do have a really good book list to go along with those for a state study but if you don't have access to a library you would need to go through that list on your own and decide which books to purchase. I know alot of users say they don't need a library (or to buy alot of other books) with MFW, that they believe the books in the packages are adequate, but I disagree.

Of your choices here, I think I would prefer SOTW. You really wouldn't need alot of other books with SOTW 1. You could add a Bible story book (we used Egermeier's and loved it), a colorful encyclopedia type book and call it good. SOTW on its own is plenty for a first grader, in my opinion.

Sonlight is also great if you don't want to have to rely on a library.

Oh, decisions, decisions. I am also in the process of nailing this down for my 1st grader. Her bro., 6th grade, is doing WP Quest for the Middle Ages. I'm either going to tag her along (which will require planing on my part - I make myself crazy when I plan) or find her a fun 1 yr. world history program.

I have looked at the programs you mentioned plus more. I need a 4 day plan for history with books and spines mapped out. I want my readers planned as well. I have ruled everything out except HIH and WTMs plan for 1st grade history. I reread the WTM plan today and it's solid. Excellent instruction and practicing of important skills. I'm concerned HIH isn't all that it's cracked up to be, esp. for the price. I drool over some of their other programs but I'm not sure about HIH.

Exactly. I own WTM, but I haven't even looked at what they suggest. LOL I wouldn't get the whole WP HIH package. I just know that I wouldn't use it, but then again that leads me back to having to schedule all of my own read-alouds. Grrrrr....

I'm also keeping the possibility of using SL in my pocket. We've tried it before and didn't love it but, now, with 4 kids (one totally wild toddler), I don't have the luxury of pulling together my own plans. I would definitely look at their readers w/schedule. If I were going overseas I wouldn't hesitate to order an all inclusive package and be done with it.

Now, if I could only find a package that I like. :tongue_smilie: I've used SL, too. I just want to be able to combine my children all together, AND I want hands-on or at least the option of hands-on without having to work it all in myself.

I seriously want to love HIH but the price is steep for a history program alone and I'm not at all fond of the extra books they've chosen. I wouldn't use those anyway. If I leave those books out, all that's left is their exclusive, notebooking and activities. I don't know. I would really like to flip through their guide.

Well, you also have their DVD suggestions, internet links (if they work ;)), and I would leave the creating clever castles, cars, whatever that books is called.

I can also empathize with trying to choose books from an awesome list. I go crazy for SL, BP, WTM, and VP. I seriously drive myself nuts. I am forcing myself to get a grip this year, make some choices (I will choose books that show up on several lists - so many are repeated they HAVE to be good, right?), and move on.

Ahhh...someone that can relate. It's just too overwhelming to me. I want to buy all of them, and I can't afford to buy a book for every week of SOTW. That would be 42 books!!!

I am anxious to hear more ideas. I'm positive I was not helpful:tongue_smilie:

Thank you for the help!

Have you considered Heart of Dakota? It is a CM curriculum and you wouldn't have to use the library at all. They offer wonderful book packages (both read alouds and readers) to complement whichever guide you are using. I like MFW's Adventures but I can't imagine using it without access to a good library. The end of the year is very light with the focus of the day being the state sheets. They do have a really good book list to go along with those for a state study but if you don't have access to a library you would need to go through that list on your own and decide which books to purchase. I know alot of users say they don't need a library (or to buy alot of other books) with MFW, that they believe the books in the packages are adequate, but I disagree.

I have considered HOD. The only thing is that they don't suggest combining all of my children. They're too far apart in age.

Of your choices here, I think I would prefer SOTW. You really wouldn't need alot of other books with SOTW 1. You could add a Bible story book (we used Egermeier's and loved it), a colorful encyclopedia type book and call it good. SOTW on its own is plenty for a first grader, in my opinion.

This is definately good to know. Thank you.

Sonlight is also great if you don't want to have to rely on a library.

THANKS! I think I'm making headway.

Is 3 day okay? http://stores.lulu.com/classicalexplorations

I just wanted to add that IMO, Year 1 of TOG is not a good picture of how much books are going to cost for the rest of the year plans. If you go on Bookshelf Central and start adding up the cost of other years/levels, you'll find that many years/levels are around $1,000 for books. (More or less.) I know that people buy used, don't buy all, etc. but I'd really look into it a little closer if you were considering that avenue.

Hmmm... really? Is that a common thing for people to use it for their oldest child that is younger than 2nd?

Well, he wasn't my oldest, but he did everything that the older 2 did. The only modification that I made was to do the writing for him, since he couldn't read yet.

I just wanted to add that IMO, Year 1 of TOG is not a good picture of how much books are going to cost for the rest of the year plans. If you go on Bookshelf Central and start adding up the cost of other years/levels, you'll find that many years/levels are around $1,000 for books. (More or less.) I know that people buy used, don't buy all, etc. but I'd really look into it a little closer if you were considering that avenue.

Wowzas! You weren't kidding! I went and took a peek at future years, and there is a HUGE difference...like 2-3 x the difference.

Edited by lovinmomma

I would go with SOTW + AG and then post a thread here asking people to give you their recommendations for top 5-7 read alouds. Then pick the most often recommended books from responses and go with that. :D
I have previous threads saved. If you want them just say the word. I think one non-fiction or picture book and one literature book or story per civilization is good. You might like this free download. It has adaptations from Public Domain for almost every chapter of SOTW 1.

You might also like to know that TWTM states that you can use the Usborne Encyclopedia on weeks that you don't want to make a library trip.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I have previous threads saved. If you want them just say the word.

Ohhh....I do, I do!

How do you save threads, btw? Just subscribe to them?

Edited by Guest

4) Biblioplan

-I'm not sure I like how multiple chapters are covered in 1 week. Also, I read that if your oldest is a 1st grader the Read-Alouds aren't appropriate. So, I'd be back to choosing books again.

If your oldest are in first grade, use the K-2 readers as your read-alouds. They are wonderful! In fact, I did that last year. 4 of my 5 school-aged children were in K-3, so many weeks I used the K-2 readers as our read-alouds. We did read a few of the family read-alouds, too.

As far as multiple chapters per week, here is my experience. (I've used year 2 and am using year 3 of Biblioplan)

With year 2, most weeks only 1 chapter of SOTW is scheduled. However, there were a few weeks that 2 or more chapters were scheduled, and some weeks that didn't have SOTW scheduled at all. I was able to tweak the schedule, and push most of those chapters from the "heavy" weeks into the weeks where SOTW wasn't scheduled.

With year 3 - so far - only one chapter of SOTW has been scheduled per week.

<SIGH> I'v been searching for years. I realize that is probably ridiculous, but I need to move towards a decision. We are moving overseas next year, and I need to start preparing and picking out the books, etc. Any thoughts would be VERY appreciated. THANKS! I will have 2 kids in 1st grade when this history would be used. Later I will have a younger 1 or 2, but not for this year.

We live overseas, and have been using Biblioplan for over a year. I have not found it difficult to get all the books we need - at least in terms of finding companies who carry them. Getting them shipped over is another matter - partly depending on which country you are moving to.

I have found Rainbow resource carries many of the books. I get the rest from Amazon. BP does use some OOP books, but I've not had any trouble finding them (also through Amazon).

IMO, if you use SOTW as your spine, get the other history books that are age-appropriate, and buy the K-2 readers for your read-alouds, it will not be too expensive. As I said before, I haven't had trouble finding the books - even OOP ones - for reasonable prices through RR and Amazon.

Also, BP has other things you can buy in addition to the schedule. I love the BP products - schedule, maps, timeline, coloring pages, and cool history pages. You could certainly use most of them with younger children (though the cool history pages might not always be a good fit).

Blessings as you choose.

Laura

Edited by Laura W.

You can combine children just as easily with HOD as you can with MFW. The main difference in using them "as written" is that MFW has you reading the great majority of the material outloud to all of the children and then choosing other books to give to your children to read. HOD does not do that. They advocate having the children reading their own books (not entirely but mostly) at the age of 9. But, if you are willing to read some or most of the books outloud (like you would be doing with MFW) rather than having the children reading their own books (they would still have readers), you can just as easily combine with HOD.

That's why it's thought that you can't combine with HOD. It really has more to do with how much reading outloud you as the parent want to do rather than any other big factor. And, HOD guides do include extension packages from their Bigger Hearts program on up. That gives you about a five year age range for most of the guides.

I was also going to say MFW. The only reason MFW 1st is 1st is because it contains phonics, if you have your phonics already then you would only be using the other parts. I'm sure you could use adventures with 1st graders if you wanted to. Do you just not like the fact that the mfw1st is Bible history? We are doing it now and it is going to be really good. I am also going to get the audio cd's for either MOH or SOTW to listen to along with it. MFW really does sound like it could be what you are looking for.

I would go with SOTW + AG and then post a thread here asking people to give you their recommendations for top 5-7 read alouds. Then pick the most often recommended books from responses and go with that. :D

This is just first grade. It sounds like MFW will be a good fit for the rest of the years, but you need something to cover first.

Frankly, history in first grade just isn't important. It is merely fodder for practicing narration skills and a way to structure your homeschool. There is no reason you can't switch from one program to another. When your younger ones are in first grade you will simply fold them into whatever the older kids are doing.

Why not just get a bunch of books about the country you are moving to and read those once a week, doing narrations? It gives them information about where they are moving, gives you fodder for narrations and makes things easy. Beyond that you need a phonics program (OPG), handwriting program (HWT), math (Singapore or MUS) and FLL.

That is all you need, really. keep it simple and quit stressing over a "program". They are not going to remember a thing anyway. First grade is for building foundational skills. The rest is just gravy.

Both of these sound so simple. That's really my frame of mind...simple.

I have previous threads saved. If you want them just say the word. I think one non-fiction or picture book and one literature book or story per civilization is good. You might like this free download. It has adaptations from Public Domain for almost every chapter of SOTW 1.

You might also like to know that TWTM states that you can use the Usborne Encyclopedia on weeks that you don't want to make a library trip.

VERY good link. Here's one issue. I am completely history illiterate. SO, I wouldn't even know where all of the different books fit in as far as civilizations, etc.

They are in order for the most part, or fairly obvious, like the names of the countries are in the stories (The Roman Boy, Confucius, Phoenician, Alexander the Great, etc.). The book is scheduled (with SOTW and Usborne) in Ancient Explorations.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

If your oldest are in first grade, use the K-2 readers as your read-alouds. They are wonderful! In fact, I did that last year. 4 of my 5 school-aged children were in K-3, so many weeks I used the K-2 readers as our read-alouds. We did read a few of the family read-alouds, too.

As far as multiple chapters per week, here is my experience. (I've used year 2 and am using year 3 of Biblioplan)

With year 2, most weeks only 1 chapter of SOTW is scheduled. However, there were a few weeks that 2 or more chapters were scheduled, and some weeks that didn't have SOTW scheduled at all. I was able to tweak the schedule, and push most of those chapters from the "heavy" weeks into the weeks where SOTW wasn't scheduled.

With year 3 - so far - only one chapter of SOTW has been scheduled per week.

We live overseas, and have been using Biblioplan for over a year. I have not found it difficult to get all the books we need - at least in terms of finding companies who carry them. Getting them shipped over is another matter - partly depending on which country you are moving to.

I have found Rainbow resource carries many of the books. I get the rest from Amazon. BP does use some OOP books, but I've not had any trouble finding them (also through Amazon).

IMO, if you use SOTW as your spine, get the other history books that are age-appropriate, and buy the K-2 readers for your read-alouds, it will not be too expensive. As I said before, I haven't had trouble finding the books - even OOP ones - for reasonable prices through RR and Amazon.

Also, BP has other things you can buy in addition to the schedule. I love the BP products - schedule, maps, timeline, coloring pages, and cool history pages. You could certainly use most of them with younger children (though the cool history pages might not always be a good fit).

Blessings as you choose.

Laura

All excellent information. Thank you for sharing your experience. This helps.

You can combine children just as easily with HOD as you can with MFW. The main difference in using them "as written" is that MFW has you reading the great majority of the material outloud to all of the children and then choosing other books to give to your children to read. HOD does not do that. They advocate having the children reading their own books (not entirely but mostly) at the age of 9. But, if you are willing to read some or most of the books outloud (like you would be doing with MFW) rather than having the children reading their own books (they would still have readers), you can just as easily combine with HOD.

That's why it's thought that you can't combine with HOD. It really has more to do with how much reading outloud you as the parent want to do rather than any other big factor. And, HOD guides do include extension packages from their Bigger Hearts program on up. That gives you about a five year age range for most of the guides.

I've just read on their website, etc. that you shouldn't combine with their guides if your children are 3 years or more apart. Do you know anyone that has done this?

I was also going to say MFW. The only reason MFW 1st is 1st is because it contains phonics, if you have your phonics already then you would only be using the other parts. I'm sure you could use adventures with 1st graders if you wanted to. Do you just not like the fact that the mfw1st is Bible history? We are doing it now and it is going to be really good. I am also going to get the audio cd's for either MOH or SOTW to listen to along with it. MFW really does sound like it could be what you are looking for.

I don't like how church-y it looks. We're Christians, and want to add that in or have a curriculum that has it in it, but not so overwhelming that it's hard to share our beliefs. Hope that makes sense without offending anyone.

I've just read on their website, etc. that you shouldn't combine with their guides if your children are 3 years or more apart. Do you know anyone that has done this?
Yes people do it, but Carrie discourages it, so you won't find people admitting to it much on the HOD forums.:D

The thing about HOD is that the history, read alouds and science are used for skill building, so she recommends that you use it on level, but you can still use it the way you would use a program like SOTW or MFW, and do your skill building with your other subjects. I hope that makes sense. I am using HOD Bigger for third grade but am switching to WP after that because of the preachy aspect.

Yes people do it, but Carrie discourages it, so you won't find people admitting to it much on the HOD forums.:D

The thing about HOD is that the history, read alouds and science are used for skill building, so she recommends that you use it on level, but you can still use it the way you would use a program like SOTW or MFW, and do your skill building with your other subjects. I hope that makes sense. I am using HOD Bigger for third grade but am switching to WP after that because of the preachy aspect.

I know that we have similar tastes because of your PR and MM, so it's good to hear that you are going to be going with MFW. Why 4th grade?

I am not going with MFW, I am going with WinterPromise.

I am starting in 4th grade just because I don't think we could handle it before then. I am using HOD for one year as a gentle intro to formal history programs. I was going to do Winterpromise for American History but really wanted to do it in only one year.

I am not going with MFW, I am going with WinterPromise.

I am starting in 4th grade just because I don't think we could handle it before then. I am using HOD for one year as a gentle intro to formal history programs. I was going to do Winterpromise for American History but really wanted to do it in only one year.

:willy_nilly: Uhhhh...long day. I did read that correctly.

On a totally different note, have you considered ambleside? It is CM. We did year 1 this year by reading them online on google books and listening to those on librivox. about half of them are on librivox and if you google you can find a list of which ones are. We loved it. And it was free. I personally like holding books - aaahhhh books! - so I am slowly now buying ambleside books. But, honestly it works without owning any. And they are delightful books! (BTW, we did SOTW 1 with the audio and AG and very little extra this year too and enjoyed it. no library, no extras. I was targeting a 4/5 yr old and a 6/7 yr old and it was enough for us.)

Well, we're only 5 weeks in to SOTW1, so keep that in mind. But, I'd still totally say SOTW + AG. There definitely are quite a few awesome threads with the best of the best suggestions for only a few books to complement SOTW well. So that wouldn't be tough. Yes, you'd still need read alouds, but (and I might be alone on this one) I don't think your read alouds have to be history. Maybe make life simple on yourself and pick some great literature and be done. I'm thinking anything from a CM list, a SL list, or just favorites from your own childhood. Those are great to own anyway (things like E. B. White and Dahl and the Narnia series pop to mind).

Anyway, part of why I say this is that we have a fabulous library system, and I'm able to get my hands on lots of supplemental books. But...I don't know. I think the AG guide projects are a lot more fun and help more with retention and building excitement.

Now, we're still getting lots of books. :lol: This week, in fact, I'm already going out of my mind with mummy jokes. :D I wouldn't stress it, though. Both of my girls really love SOTW and are having fun sharing what they've learned and doing their coloring pages, and though we're still early in the book, none of what they're excited about comes from supplemental reading yet (except mummy jokes).

The only "con" I can see to Hideaways is that it might be tough to make the little play places each week. IMO there is no way it would seem boring if you DO make the play hideaways. We are doing this spread out over two years with a 4th-5th grader and 1st-2nd grader, beefing up for the older with parts of HOD's Preparing and combining with WP's Sea and Sky because it just looked SO good with the new spine that I could not fathom leaving it out. I had a sneak peek at it and I feel safe in saying there are some narration questions included each day.

We used a WP program last year and loved it. I would go with that one. Right now the HIH is $279, which isn't bad at all IMO. Add $139 for the LA and you've got a curriculum for 2 kids under $425. That's not bad. I love the way WP is laid out and the activities they put in their IG's are excellent.

Also a very good point. I'm not sure if I can be as relaxed as I would want to be if I use HIH. Not that it can't be done, but I'm not sure I can do it. :) I do love WP's readers.

On a totally different note, have you considered ambleside? It is CM. We did year 1 this year by reading them online on google books and listening to those on librivox. about half of them are on librivox and if you google you can find a list of which ones are. We loved it. And it was free. I personally like holding books - aaahhhh books! - so I am slowly now buying ambleside books. But, honestly it works without owning any. And they are delightful books! (BTW, we did SOTW 1 with the audio and AG and very little extra this year too and enjoyed it. no library, no extras. I was targeting a 4/5 yr old and a 6/7 yr old and it was enough for us.)

Thank you so much for this post. I haven't looked at AO in quite awhile, because of the whole combining issue. The SOTW info. was definately helpful! Thanks.

Well, we're only 5 weeks in to SOTW1, so keep that in mind. But, I'd still totally say SOTW + AG. There definitely are quite a few awesome threads with the best of the best suggestions for only a few books to complement SOTW well. So that wouldn't be tough. Yes, you'd still need read alouds, but (and I might be alone on this one) I don't think your read alouds have to be history. Maybe make life simple on yourself and pick some great literature and be done. I'm thinking anything from a CM list, a SL list, or just favorites from your own childhood. Those are great to own anyway (things like E. B. White and Dahl and the Narnia series pop to mind).

Anyway, part of why I say this is that we have a fabulous library system, and I'm able to get my hands on lots of supplemental books. But...I don't know. I think the AG guide projects are a lot more fun and help more with retention and building excitement.

Now, we're still getting lots of books. :lol: This week, in fact, I'm already going out of my mind with mummy jokes. :D I wouldn't stress it, though. Both of my girls really love SOTW and are having fun sharing what they've learned and doing their coloring pages, and though we're still early in the book, none of what they're excited about comes from supplemental reading yet (except mummy jokes).

Thank you for your thoughts. Good thoughts on the read-alouds.

The only "con" I can see to Hideaways is that it might be tough to make the little play places each week. IMO there is no way it would seem boring if you DO make the play hideaways. We are doing this spread out over two years with a 4th-5th grader and 1st-2nd grader, beefing up for the older with parts of HOD's Preparing and combining with WP's Sea and Sky because it just looked SO good with the new spine that I could not fathom leaving it out. I had a sneak peek at it and I feel safe in saying there are some narration questions included each day.

What are the hideaways like each week? Could you give me some examples? I'm not sure I could find the materials needed. That has me a tad worried.

WP is pretty good about giving alternatives-

They suggest a large number of 36" boxes, some rectangular, some square. It would cost me $200 to have them shipped here. Not gonna do it. I'm planning to get appliance boxes and melon bins locally. I'm crazy enough to collect 60 milk jugs for an igloo, though!

As I said, I'm doing it bi-weekly instead of weekly. I *want* to do the Hideaways- that's the fun part. (Well, I think the new spine book looks pretty fun too though).