Menu

What to do after Singapore 6?

I have Chalk Dust PreAlgebra, which, after years of Singapore, looks scary. As usual, I'm starting to second-guess the Chalk Dust and am considering alternatives.

Ds catches on pretty quickly to math concepts when his head's not in the clouds.

Any sugggestions?

We went through the Saxon pre-algebra book, skipping topics that they already knew well, just to make sure everything was covered and then went on to NEM. I like NEM just as much as the Singapore primary stuff. There are all kinds of answer books for the first few levels of NEM and it has been easy for me to teach.

We were able to skip quite a bit of pre-algebra and aren't having much trouble with NEM. We had used TT pre-algebra but there wasn't really anything covered by it that wasn't covered in Singapore 6 - just in a different way. I didn't see how old your dc is and don't know how well they do at math or how much they love it but I think you will find that Singapore 6 has already covered many pre-algebra topics and you may just need a review and to cover some things from an western perspective and then move on.

When my dd finished Singapore 6 in April of 6th grade, I had her do the one month free trial of Aleks pre-algebra, but she hated it. Then she worked through Math Smart Junior (typically available on amazon for $0.01) over the summer. That was all the pre-algebra she had before moving on to algebra.

She started off using both Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra I (a brand new program at the time) in 7th grade. At the end of 7th grade, she decided that she liked the presentation in Kinetic Books much better, especially since it offered immediate feedback and stepped help on the practice problems. For 8th grade, she did just Kinetic Books.

They have a free trial (not sure how long it is). My oldest used their Algebra II as a beta tester. My middle used their Algebra I right after it was released and is using their Algebra II right now. I think their math programs are phenomenal. The only bad thing is that they aren't currently working on Precalculus, so there's no chance that it will be ready for my dd to move on to next.

http://www.kineticbooks.com/support/algebratrial.php -- free trial

My dd just finished NEM1 along with Abeka algebra 1 but we will be changing to Discovering Math 2 this summer. She didn't like NEM but has done well anyway. She strong in math. I have Chalkdust geometry that she wants to use later this fall but I don't know if she's ready for it.

If he has done well with Singapore, he should be fine with CD pre-algebra. We used it after Singapore 6, and ds did fine with it. He went on to Foerster's Algebra I through chapter 4 before school ended without any problems.

In hind sight, I would have chosen Discovering Math by Singapore for his pre-algebra because CD's textbook is definitely geared more toward older students. The exercises are very long, and the prints are small. I also feel that their word problems are not as challenging.

Why not let your ds take a look at the textbook and even read a section or two to see if he understands the material? If you have the DVDs, let him watch and see how it helps him. If he thinks it's OK, then there is no need to go out and buy another program.

Edited by HSDCY
mis-type

They are currently reprinting the book, so they have offered the old edition as a download at about half or less what the book normally costs. I went ahead and bought the download.

I am not into my school year yet, but I have been downloading the chapters into a three-ring binder to use once we start school. I don't like to have my children work at the computer, either.

We tried NEM after all the Singapore 6 but the kids didn't like it. Then they went to VideoText Algebra and that was a good fit for them. My husband did spend time with them on every lesson - it was not as self directed as we had hoped, but it still was a good fit. This fall they will start VideoText Geometry.

They are currently reprinting the book, so they have offered the old edition as a download at about half or less what the book normally costs. I went ahead and bought the download.

I am not into my school year yet, but I have been downloading the chapters into a three-ring binder to use once we start school. I don't like to have my children work at the computer, either.

Hi,

Where did you see the link for the download? The link that I see is for the PDF of the book on disk (shipping included).

TIA

Regena, What Russian book are you using?

As for my planning I have looked at AoPS books contents and NEM and we are going to use Introduction to Algebra,Introduction to Counting and Probability, Introduction to Number Theory along with NEM1.

As for "Challenge month" my child is going to use Olympiads problems and challenging problems. I am planning to have a " Challenge Month" twice per year for math, science, foreign languages and writing.

I will be finishing 6 this year and this is what I am thinking....

Trying out DM from Singapore over NEM.

Key to Algebra

Life of Fred (I will do this anyway)

Either Jacob's or Art of Problem Solving

Possibly Thinkwell, 7th or 8th grade math.

FWIW, I do a LOT of different math programs although Singapore is my main program. I need to switch it up or my kids flip out. So really, I doubt I have given you any answer at all! ;)