Menu

Snack/Meal ideas for nursing moms

I need some ideas here...I am nursing dd. I know I'm consuming enough calories, but I think I'm eating too much junk.

What can I eat for breakfast, lunch, and snacks that would be healthy while giving me the calories I need? Bonus points if it's easy to prepare. TIA!

Edited by heatherwith3

I'm a nursing mama and I find myself reaching for "Brothers All Natural Dried Fruit" that we purchased in a coop. They do sell some of them at Walmart but aren't affordable for us that way.

Carrot sticks and ranch. Graham Crackers and Nutella. Cheese slices and Crackers. Pita Chips and Hummus. Peanut Butter. Pretzel Sticks. Almonds. Zucchini Bread. Oatmeal Muffins. Popcorn. Wrap filled with fresh cut veggies, covered in puree'd avacado and sprinkled with slivered almonds for some crunch. Avacado slices. Tomato and Cucumber Salad. Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwich. Granola. Dried Cheerios or Honey Bunches of Oats in a bowl. Drop Biscuits severed warm with local honey or homemade jam.

Hope some of these sound good. All of them are things I eat.

Those were my favorite snacks when I was nursing, and every so often one would be my lunch as well. My recipe? One banana, about 1 1/2 cups of frozen whole strawberries, two tablespoons of frozen orange juice concentrate, and enough cold water to make it into OJ--in a blender, that's it! Frozen blueberries are a nice addition. Peaches are a great replacement for the berries, but then you need to think about throwing in a little honey.

I would drink one of these and perk up like a dry plant that just got watered.

(Of course, I couldn't have any caffeine during this period, so I was unusually sensitive to the subtleties of fruit enzymes and such.)

I have green smoothies for breakfast most mornings (spinach,almond milk,frozen banana, berries, ground flax seed, sometimes a bit of coconut oil). I also often have a scrambled or boiled egg for protein. Lunches are salads with a small bit of meat (chicken, quality tuna, etc...).Boring :tongue_smilie:. I snack on almonds, cheese, baby carrots, trail mix, homemade popsicles (no sugar), and fresh fruit. Two of my children have dairy and wheat allergies, so I have also quit eating as much bread as I used to. I think maybe my stomach shrunk when I quit (does that sound weird?), because I find myself getting fuller from meals and the only time I feel I need a snack is late afternoon. I also like smoothies with almond milk, frozen bananas, and natural peanut or almond butter. I don't have them often because they are like dessert for me ;).

Edited by Robin's Song
clarity