Menu

Designing a distinctively Christian H.S. plan... (cc)

I am gearing up for my oldest son to start high school this fall, and though he has been homeschooled all along, I am realizing some areas where I've failed to take advantage of some of the benefits of homeschooling, and where I need to regroup and make the most of these last four years. One area is giving our homeschool a distinctively Christian focus. I want his high school years to be more spiritually-focused than just choosing classes that colleges want to see, and using Christian textbooks where possible. There are so many great Christian books, both classic and modern, that I would like ds to read, alongside the more traditional classic literature that is assigned in public schools. Teaching and discussing the Bible in a much more indepth way is a priority as well. I'm also wondering if a world view curriculum would be a good idea? I guess what I'm asking for are examples of materials you may have used or subjects you studied that made spiritual topics a central focus in the high schooling years. I don't want to just plug through our academics each week without a focus on spiritual topics, and rely on church and informal conversations to cover those things. Our faith deserves serious study, and homeschooling offers a great opportunity to delve into that-- so I want to take advantage of it! Any suggestions? Does anyone have a list of Christian books that you assign your student in high school?

I'm sure you'll get much more thoughtful and detailed responses, but here's a few ideas for half credit, single semester courses...

Church history

Basic theology

Works of C.S. Lewis

Worldview (I've not done this yet, but I've heard good things about Understanding the Times (I think that's the name of the high school level)

Course in the Old Testament and/or New Testament

Writings of the Puritans

Authors to look at

R.C. Sproul

John Piper

Andrew Murray

John MacArthur

Augustine

just some off the top of my head ideas...

Blessings,

Debbie

I highly recommend Precept by Precept studies. They are definitely high school level. To cover doctrine, I recommend the study on Romans. The study on Covenant is also a not-to-be-missed study. You can easily cover many of Paul's letters and much of the Old Testament, so pick your courses wisely. As written, Romans would take you nearly two years to complete. I highly recommend that you not speed up any PUP courses. Many people slow them down to 1/2 pace. The videos are great, but they are not necessary they don't fit into your budget.

You might consider TOG. It takes a biblical look at history, literature, government, fine arts and even has a worldview component that is VERY, VERY good. Next year we will do Year 4 and we will be studying CS Lewis' Screwtape letters, Nee's the Normal Christian Life, the Hiding Place, and Brother Andrew in the worldview. Also, the last quarter there is a choice of projects. I've chosen for my son to go through Packer's Concise Theology and then he summarized each section and tells what our denomination feels about each of the topics then interviews our pastor as well. My son is really excited about this.

Christine

You might consider TOG. It takes a biblical look at history, literature, government, fine arts and even has a worldview component that is VERY, VERY good. Next year we will do Year 4 and we will be studying CS Lewis' Screwtape letters, Nee's the Normal Christian Life, the Hiding Place, and Brother Andrew in the worldview. Also, the last quarter there is a choice of projects. I've chosen for my son to go through Packer's Concise Theology and then he summarized each section and tells what our denomination feels about each of the topics then interviews our pastor as well. My son is really excited about this.

Christine

:iagree:

We did Year 4 this year, and will be starting over with Year 1 in the fall. There is lots of Bible reading assigned as history reading as the ancient cultures are studied in Year 1. All of the TOG discussion notes for all 4 years (history, literature, worldview, philosophy) are filtered through the Christian worldview.

The company has really improved their website. There is still much material to look through, but I think it is easier to get a good feel for the program.

Bookshelf Central is an independent organization that sells most of the books used in TOG. You can do searches by year/level/subjects/units to get a feel for the books used.

I highly recommend Precept by Precept studies.

THis was my first thought after reading your post as well. And they can be tweaked to use with youngers. I realized how manageable the Precepts studies were when one of my dc worked through Joshua and Judges in a co-op in 5th grade. Since that time, we've been hooked. We are working through Covenant now as a family -- the oldest 5, Mom and Dad.

We've not always done Precepts, but we've always spent the first part of our day in Bible study, prayer, scripture memory and a hymn or praise song. Over the years, the 45 minutes we've spent doing this has added up. I'm especially grateful for the large portions of scripture we've memorized together as a family.

Other than that, we weave in a Biblical worldview into our other studies, whether using Christian or secular resources. We use Apologia science for foundational high school science (along with any local lectures, seminars, DVDs, field trips, you get the picture). My dc have literature in a co-op taught from a Biblical worldview. Geography last year was not just about country names and places, but the people groups all over the world. We looked at where each country/people group was spiritually, for example, or missionaries that had impacted that area. When we studied American government, we used secular materials but discussed natural law, the role of government, underlying philosophy of many of the founders.

We've done some other things as well, but this is a picture of what home education looks like in our home.

HTH,

Lisa

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

Covenant Home Curriculum has wonderful Bible courses, really meaty and thought provoking. For their history (and science) courses they use Bob Jones books, but they do their own answer keys and comprehension questions (and tests), in which they have a stronger (imo) emphasis on God as the author of everything (I'm not really giving it justice, you should look at samples on their site). It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it would give you what you are looking for in terms of an integrated study of God being involved in everything.

My Father's World would give you probably the same type of thing in their high school level courses, using totally different materials than CHC, but with the same level of God-honoring study.

Those two would be suggestions to look at in terms of curriculum.

For individual books, I'd suggest Thinking Like A Christian by David Noebel and Chuck Edwards.

Blessings to you as you figure out what would be best!

My Father's World would give you probably the same type of thing in their high school level courses, using totally different materials than CHC, but with the same level of God-honoring study.

Those two would be suggestions to look at in terms of curriculum.

For individual books, I'd suggest Thinking Like A Christian by David Noebel and Chuck Edwards.

Just to add more details, My Father's World high school includes:

year 1 - reading the entire Old Testament & studying a few of the books in more depth (Job, Daniel), as well as starting to require service

year 2 - entire New Testament and church history

year 3 - world views, including Thinking Like a Christian and Christian Character

(year 4 is in final pilot stages this coming year)

Julie

Just to add more details, My Father's World high school includes:

year 1 - reading the entire Old Testament & studying a few of the books in more depth (Job, Daniel), as well as starting to require service

year 2 - entire New Testament and church history

year 3 - world views, including Thinking Like a Christian and Christian Character

(year 4 is in final pilot stages this coming year)

Julie

Yes, and this sounds so good; I am seriously considering MFW for high school when I get there with ds11. Love the progression and the God-focus. I think it looks like the history focus in year 3 is earlier American history and year 4 is American part 2 plus government. It seems to have everything I want; I'm excited to see they have developed a high school program.

It seems to have everything I want; I'm excited to see they have developed a high school program.

Yes, I try to hold back from being too gushy but I just remember the STRAIN of doing it myself with my older dd. I spent so much less time actually with her and was always planning. I never knew when it was too much or to little, or whether I'd have time to get to the end. My dd could never see the end, either. She wanted to just have a textbook that could be DONE and I wanted to teach her how to look at things and think through things. Anyways, I know it's going to be a much lovelier picture this year with my youngest starting high school :)

Julie

Yes, I try to hold back from being too gushy but I just remember the STRAIN of doing it myself with my older dd. I spent so much less time actually with her and was always planning. I never knew when it was too much or to little, or whether I'd have time to get to the end. My dd could never see the end, either. She wanted to just have a textbook that could be DONE and I wanted to teach her how to look at things and think through things. Anyways, I know it's going to be a much lovelier picture this year with my youngest starting high school :)

Julie

That's GREAT! I hope it will be a wonderful high school experience for you both!

In addition to reading about your faith, I would also highly recommend support through involvement in a GOOD church youth group (peer support of doing Bible study, prayer, community service, servant leadership, etc. with other teens) and volunteering (putting your faith into action), and at least once during high school attending Worldview Academy or Summit Ministry summer Christian leadership camp.

Both camps are similar in that they give your student a solid grounding in their faith; they compare Christian worldview with others ("ideas have consequences"); they give specific helpful information and encouragement in how to have a daily quiet time and in servant leadership; and they encourage discussion and personal application of what is learned through several small group settings each day. They also have lots of fun group/team building activities, sports, and fun things to do during free time. Both our DSs have done Worldview Academy and came home changed -- the experience really helped them take ownership of their faith AND encouraged them to put it into practice. WVA is great for students in gr. 9-12 and just finished with high school. Summit Ministry is best for gr. 11-12 and just finished with high school.

Below is a big book list we've been drawing from over the years of middle school/high school. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Christian Worldview/Beliefs -- Nonfiction

- The Truth Project (series of DVDs) = http://www.thetruthproject.org (fantastic series to do as a family or as a small group once a week with a few other homsechool or church families)

- More Than a Carpenter (McDowell) -- who Jesus is

- Know What You Believe; Know Why You Believe (Little) -- basic Christian doctrine

- Mere Christianity (Lewis) -- basic Christian apologetics

- How Now Shall We Live (Colson/Pearcy) -- big book; a first exposure to worldview for adults, of how worldview is everywhere in our culture/lives

- Starting Points (Quine)

- Orthodoxy (Chesterton) -- pretty stout; adult level

- City of God (Augustine) -- upper high school/adult level

Christian Worldview/Beliefs -- Fiction

- The Great Divorce (Lewis) -- great book as a read-aloud and to discuss; in a very interesting fictional setting, various "reasons" why people accept/reject God

- Screwtape Letters (Lewis) -- another wonderful one to do together; how the devil tempts, from the tongue-in-cheek viewpoint of an elder demon advising a younger demon

Church History

- Christianity Through the Ages (Latourette)

- Turning Points (Noll)

Putting Your Christian Faith into Action -- nonfiction

- Do Hard Things (Harris) -- use your God-given energy, time and skills as a training ground -- don't waste your teens/twenties!

- I Kissed Dating Goodbye (Harris) -- true love is not using others to satisfy your desires

- The Greatest Among You (Simms) -- servant leadership

- Don't Waste Your Life (Piper)

- Through a Screen Darkly (Overstreet) -- seeing God's truth in films

Inspiring Christian Biographies

- The Hiding Place; Tramp for the Lord (Corrie TenBoom)-- if you only ever do 1 Christian biography, make it The Hiding Place -- absolutely fantastic life lessons throughout the entire book

- A Severe Mercy (Van Auken)

- Bruchko (Bruce Olson)

- God's Smuggler (Brother Andrew)

- a biography of Richard Wurmbrand

- Trial and Triumph

Christian Faith in Fiction (while it's not directly stated, you see the Christian themes through character choices, etc.)

- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett)

- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hurnard) -- book-length analogy of our walk of faith

- The Singer; The Song; The Finale (Miller) -- trilogy; analogies of Christ's life/death/resurrection; Christians sharing the "song" (gospel); and end times

- Till We Have Faces (Lewis)

- Out of the Silent Planet; Perelandra; That Hideous Strength (Lewis)

- Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)

- Leaf by Niggle; Smith of Wooten Major (Tolkien) -- short stories

- The Princess and the Goblins; The Princess and Curdie (MacDonald)

- The Wise Woman; The Light Princess (MacDonald) -- short stories

- The Man Who Was Thursday (Chesterton)

- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven)

- Cry, The Beloved Country (Paton)

Worldview -- Nonfiction

- How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig (Macauley) -- GREAT starting point for worldview

- Understanding the Times (Noebel) -- great book to do over the course of the school year; comparison of Christian and other religious and secular worldviews

- The Deadliest Monster: Introduction to Worldview (Baldwin)

- Seven Men Who Rule From the Grave (Breese)

- Rethinking Worldview (Bertrand)

Worldviews in Fiction

- Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Stevenson)

- Frankenstein (Shelley)

- Lord of the Flies (Golding)

- Tombs of Atuan (LeGuin)

- Brave New World (Huxley)

- Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller)

- Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury)

- Shakespeare's plays

- The Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)

- A Christmas Carol; A Tale of Two Cities (Dickinson)

- Crime and Punishment (Dostoyevsky)

- Les Miserables (Hugo)

Comparative Religions/Philosophy -- Nonfiction

- The Universe Next Door (Sire) -- Christian author

- Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy (Gaarder) -- secular author

- Message in the Bottle (Walker) -- Christian author

- Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (Hofstadter) -- pretty deep; adult level

- The World's Great Religions (Bowker) -- secular author

For more great book titles and resources, check out:

- gr. 6-11 booklists at Ambleside

- books in the high school Sonlight cores (esp. SL core 200 -- History of God's Kingdom)

- books and guides at The Great Books

- books, DVD and CDs resources from Worldview Academy

- books, DVDs and CD resources from Summit Ministries

Edited by Lori D.

Wow, wonderful lists. Thanks all. I also want to recommend the Lightbearers Middleschool Worldview curriculum recommended for 7-9th graders. We are doing it currently with my middleschooler and am so glad to have found it. Also, the Kay Arthur elementary bible studies are cheap are great for 5-8th grades. Ds. is really enjoying "Abraham - God's Brave Explorer"

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input here. I appreciate each and every response. I am currently very overwhelmed with just getting started planning for this year, so I can't quite wrap my head around the details to respond to each of you individually.... but I will come back to this thread when I'm thinking more clearly. Thank you for posting! :001_smile: