Menu

So what's so special about Star Wars?

Being a mother who is total protected from the Dark Side by a very, very dedicated Jedi warrior, I must take a stand for a good verses evil story that engages a boy and fires his imagination with hours of adventure after the movie is over. The minimum of blood, guts and bad language is a plus. I can't speak to the artistic and cinematic weight of the movies though I think for their time they were pretty forward thinking as far as special effects and story line.

And as far as setting, what better for a boy than something that hasn't happened yet and has very little basis in reality? Being a cowboy, Indian, gladiator, Hun, etc. are all fraught with victory and defeat. In Star Wars, anything is possible. It's a story to be written rather than re-enacted.

And I would like to add that life is fraught with arguments and disagreements. It's how we handle them that defines our characters. (In response to the OP's statement that Luke and the gang argued their way to victory.)

I agree with you Stacia, it is the best action/adventure movie ever made. I do like the one with Sean Connery but the first one is by far the best.

And I agree with your agreement. :tongue_smilie:

If you do not like the films, that is ok. But why deprive a kid of them? Star Wars is part of our cultural heritage now :-)

I honestly can't in any way see that I've deprived my children if I never show them Star Wars. What I'd like to do is to have the view good movies so when they do finally watch Star Wars they'll realize how bad it really is.

I'm hearing lots of support for the cultural import, but that doesn't address the fact that it's a bad movie. Certainly it may have been technologically advanced, but neither does that address the fact that it's a poorly written, directed and acted movie.

My theory is that Star Wars is sort of the Hero's Journey for dummies.

BAM!

And I would like to add that life is fraught with arguments and disagreements. It's how we handle them that defines our characters.

Absolutely true, but the fact remains that solutions to problems are rarely found through headbutting. I've actually found the opposite to be true; shrill argumentation creates bigger problems.

Edited by spradlin02

Exactly.

I *love* Raiders of the Lost Ark. (Didn't care for any of the sequels.) Imo, it's the best action/adventure movie ever made.

YES! Indy (whose real name is NOT Indy, but what he prefers me to call him on my blog and message boards since I don't use real names), is obsessed with Indiana Jones. His favorite movie is Temple of Doom, which I don't care for all that much, but he loves because it has kids in it. He first saw Raiders at my mom's house when he was about 3 and decided right then and there that he was going to be an archaeologist. He's almost 8 and from the time he saw that movie has wanted to learn everything he could about ancient history, languages and archaeology. He had an IJ themed birthday party last year (you can see photos here) and had me redecorate his room to an adventure/explorer theme.

What's awesome about IJ, aside from Harrison Ford in all his open shirted hotness, is that not only is the hero brave and daring (and hot), but he's SMART. He loves books and surrounds himself with them (note his home in the Last Crusade-it's packed with books), and reads as much as he can. He's well versed ancient myths and legends as well as history in general, knows many languages, shows respect for different cultures, has a working knowledge of geography (modern, medieval and ancient), helps people in need, is a well respected member of academia and does it all with style (and occasionally shirtless). What is NOT to like?

YES! Indy (whose real name is NOT Indy, but what he prefers me to call him on my blog and message boards since I don't use real names), is obsessed with Indiana Jones. His favorite movie is Temple of Doom, which I don't care for all that much, but he loves because it has kids in it. He first saw Raiders at my mom's house when he was about 3 and decided right then and there that he was going to be an archaeologist. He's almost 8 and from the time he saw that movie has wanted to learn everything he could about ancient history, languages and archaeology. He had an IJ themed birthday party last year (you can see photos here) and had me redecorate his room to an adventure/explorer theme.

What's awesome about IJ, aside from Harrison Ford in all his open shirted hotness, is that not only is the hero brave and daring (and hot), but he's SMART. He loves books and surrounds himself with them (note his home in the Last Crusade-it's packed with books), and reads as much as he can. He's well versed ancient myths and legends as well as history in general, knows many languages, shows respect for different cultures, has a working knowledge of geography (modern, medieval and ancient), helps people in need, is a well respected member of academia and does it all with style (and occasionally shirtless). What is NOT to like?

:thumbup1: Yep, yep, and yep. Raiders definitely sings a siren song to my wannabe-archeologist/adventurer heart. :001_smile:

Plus, I love that Marian is a tough, great heroine too. She's awesome.

(We had an IJ theme b-day party here too a few years ago. LOL.)