Menu

Going to Legoland and also want to go to beach while we're there. Where to go?

We're going in early August. I hate to go to California and not go to the beach. :) I just don't know where exactly to go. I'd like a family-friendly beach, preferably one that has showers available. (We'll probably spend the morning there, then head to Bakersfield to see some friends and won't be able to clean up, otherwise.)

I see that Oceanside is close. Would that be a good choice? I've looked at their web-site and see the listing of beaches (Breakwater Way looks promising), but I'd prefer some personal experience.

Thanks!

Close to Legoland is Buccaneer. Nice little beach..one of our favorites. It has outdoor showers.

Carlsbad State Beach is a long strip but I don't think there are any showers there. And sometimes parking is hard to find.

Any of the ones that have actual bathrooms with showers aren't real nice and you still come out with dirty feet and wet.

You can dry off mostly and then sprinkle everyone down with baby powder. The sand will come right off and you'll feel fresh and lovely. :)

I just reread your post and saw your mention of Oceanside. I would avoid that one. I lived in Carlsbad when my dh was in the Marines and Oceanside is a big hangout. The stores there were a mix of good ones and bad ones (lots of strip clubs, etc).

• 1 month later...

If you are planning on going from San Diego to Bakersfield, with the beach in between, I would recommend Orange County. We've taken the kids to a great beach in San Juan Capistrano, but for the life of me, I can't remember how we got there (which off-ramp). Newport Beach is nice. So is Seal Beach and they have at least out-door rinse-off type showers under the pier.

Although Coronado is about 45 min south, it is your best bet, right outside of the Del Coronado Hotel is prime.

Otherwise Carlsbad is nice, but I prefer La Jolla, just like the atmosphere.

Stay out of Mission Beach and Oceanside, ick. Lived here all my life and I would not go to those.

You are going to be in North County , so Carlsbad or La Jolla, which is pretty.

Dont go to LA, its out of your way. FYI< its been cloudy on the coast, my bf said she has only seen sun once and she lives in Carlsbad, so dont be surprised if the sun doesnt always peek out. Sometimes you have to go inland. Take windbreaker, in case.

I live near Legoland. The weather has been cool. I usually go to Moonlight Beach off Encinitas Blvd. There is a free parking lot and you can also park on the street for free. There is a bathroom facility, but I don't know if it has shower.

Don't go to Oceanside.