Menu

Tell me what you think of my plan...

stephanie

Dd 6 is a K'er who is doing Saxon K and 1 (informally). I was thinking of spending the summer practicing all her math facts so she can know them by the time she starts 1st. We're kinda at a stopping point in Saxon 1 now b/c she's not understanding the concepts so I'm wanting to solely work on math facts. Will that hurt her later starting 1st? She's got all the concepts in Saxon K down already. Also, I want to solely work on math facts all summer with my other 3. If I don't do any other math but facts, would that be too long for them to not have the "whole enchilada" math? I've never focused on just facts so that's why I'm asking. Am I making any sense at all? I'm feeling flighty in my questions!:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

No, it would not delay her at all! I think stopping to drill facts would be a brilliant idea. We use Saxon also, and we stopped for about a month and a half and just worked on all facts. It was so worth it!

I would suggest changing it up a bit every day. One day use an online game, one day play war, and the next day flashcards. The more fun you make it now, the more it will cement for later!

I think it would be fine if you keep it fun at 6. If she's not getting the concepts it could be she needs a bit of time to get ready. I grew up in the dark ages where we didn't learn any math, reading or writing in school before grade 1 and somehow we managed to learn the concepts:001_smile:. Kindergarten, as I recall, was about playing, easy workheets about over and under, art...it was a lot of fun.

That's an excellent idea!! Math facts are a top priority in our house and my dc do daily drill all year long. I think it would really improve your dc's success in math concepts once they have a solid foundation of facts memorized.

I don't worry about making them fun. My kids know that math facts are a requirement (kinda like brushing your teeth.) They have to do it whether they like it or not.

I think it's fine if you keep it fun. How about lots of games using dice? If you make any game that uses one die into a game with two, she can add them together. Another fun game with addition is Tutti Fruiti--you play like the card game War, but every time the cards add up to a certain number (keep the same number for the whole game), the first one to ring the bell gets the stack.

Also, be aware that mastery of math facts isn't expected in Saxon until the end of Saxon 3.

I think it's fine if you keep it fun. How about lots of games using dice? If you make any game that uses one die into a game with two, she can add them together. Another fun game with addition is Tutti Fruiti--you play like the card game War, but every time the cards add up to a certain number (keep the same number for the whole game), the first one to ring the bell gets the stack.

Also, be aware that mastery of math facts isn't expected in Saxon until the end of Saxon 3.

Yes, as long as you keep it fun and have reasonable expectations. Mastery of math facts at 6 is possible, but not expected. Both of mine didn't get addition/subtraction really down until age 8.

I think it's fine to focus on facts at this age, without moving on to harder concepts. As others have said, keeping it fun. OTOH, I wouldn't stress out if she doesn't have them all down by the start of 1st grade. We are almost finished with 1st grade and dd6 doesn't have all her facts down. Probably not even half of them, actually. I was really wigged about it earlier in the year, but I've decided it's much cooler for her to be enjoying the math at this stage than hating it and stressing about not having all the facts memorized.

Just keep going at her pace, and eventually her skill level will match up with the curriculum again. (Well, that's an assumption - I haven't actually used Saxon. I should have said, eventually you'll find the curriculum that matches up with her skill level. :) )

:)

Melissa

I would be a little bit concerned about drilling math facts before thinking strategies are coming naturally. When kids really understand math thinking strategies they will use those strategies naturally with bigger numbers and harder concepts. When facts are drilled before the child understands thinking strategies the instant recall of facts makes it unneccessary to use thinking strategies so those strategies do not get the opportunity to develop to the point where students use them without thinking about it.

Working with thinking strategies first gives students the tools they'll need to really manipulate numbers mentally. Building an understanding of how numbers work together should come before the instant recall of "the answer". Once thinking skills come naturally I work with my kids to develop an instant recall of basic facts. So far, I haven't been comfortable with their level of math thinking strategies until the end of second grade. My ds just finished 2B and we're going to spend the next couple of months really working on thinking strategies, then I'll introduce drill and work on that over the summer.

I just don't see the point in drilling instant recall until kids are using thinking strategies naturally.

I posted about this a while ago on my blog:

http://fanningflame.wordpress.com/2007/09/06/thinking-strategies-vs-rote-memorization/

Sarah

I would be a little bit concerned about drilling math facts before thinking strategies are coming naturally. When kids really understand math thinking strategies they will use those strategies naturally with bigger numbers and harder concepts. When facts are drilled before the child understands thinking strategies the instant recall of facts makes it unneccessary to use thinking strategies so those strategies do not get the opportunity to develop to the point where students use them without thinking about it.

Working with thinking strategies first gives students the tools they'll need to really manipulate numbers mentally. Building an understanding of how numbers work together should come before the instant recall of "the answer". Once thinking skills come naturally I work with my kids to develop an instant recall of basic facts. So far, I haven't been comfortable with their level of math thinking strategies until the end of second grade. My ds just finished 2B and we're going to spend the next couple of months really working on thinking strategies, then I'll introduce drill and work on that over the summer.

I just don't see the point in drilling instant recall until kids are using thinking strategies naturally.

I posted about this a while ago on my blog:

http://fanningflame.wordpress.com/2007/09/06/thinking-strategies-vs-rote-memorization/

Sarah

We don't drill math facts at all because my eldest two are visual spatial and learned them much better by doing lots and lots of math. My ds is learning them by doing them and by copywork (the copywork of math facts is something new we're trying out). But I think there are some kids who can drill, at least on the easier facts where they understand the concepts already.

We rewards our son's memorization skills in a fun way.

We buy a big tub of Jelly Belly jelly beans from Costco. Then for each fact or with skip counting etc. he gets right he gets a bean. It's a great incentive for getting your kids to stop skipping #20 or going from 25 to 40 when counting by 5's. If he messed up during counting- no more beans.