Menu

Making shopping list for SOTW 2 - what would you purchase?

Tonia

We have a great library system and can find many of the books offered in the Activity Guide. But our library doesn't have the following books and I see them listed on many people's lists of favorites for SOTW 2. So, would you buy the following if you couldn't get them at your library?

Marguerite makes a Book

Otto of the Silver Hand

Beorn the Proud

Leif the Lucky

The Sword in the Tree

Viking Adventure

The Minstrel in the Tower

Also, I need a book about Martin Luther. Any recommendations?

BTW, this would be for a 2nd grade girl!

Edited by Tonia

Marguerite makes a Book

Otto of the Silver Hand

Beorn the Proud

Leif the Lucky

The Sword in the Tree

Viking Adventure

The Minstrel in the Tower

The one in red I haven't seen, the ones in green we are saving for logic stage and the ones in purple we read this past year and loved them. Hope that helps you with planning!

Dd loved:

Beorn the Proud

Leif the Lucky

The Sword in the Tree

The Vikings was good too. Augustine Came to Kent was a huge hit. I know we read a bunch of books for SOTW vol 2. We really stretched this one out quite a bit and really enjoyed the process.

Martin Luther.......I borrowed a book from a local Lutheran pastor but I cannot recall the name. I'll give it some thought though because we enjoyed it quite a bit.

Marguerite Makes a Book is a beautiful book. It has fold out illuminated pages and gives detailed info as to how they made the books, and a look at life in Paris in the Middle Ages. If you could afford it, I would add it to the list.

I read Otto of the Silver Hand, and decided to save it for logic stage also. A good reader could read it herself, but I decided ultimately that my dd would enjoy it more the next go round.

I haven't read the others on your list. And I will add more. I would add Poetry for Young People: William Shakespeare. It gives a good selection of sonnets and speeches for young people from his various works. And gives brief explanations of each and definitions of some of the words. My 7 yr old is getting a lot out of it right now.

And also, Don't Know Much About the Kings and Queens of England. It is a fun one that we have checked out multiple times, and that I have considered buying.

I am sure there are more I will think of later.

Marguerite Makes a Book is a beautiful book. It has fold out illuminated pages and gives detailed info as to how they made the books, and a look at life in Paris in the Middle Ages. If you could afford it, I would add it to the list.

:iagree:

Both of my girls loved this book! It's beautiful to look at and a beautiful story.

I do like the books you mention. Even more, I like Rosemary Sutcliff's books for this time period (Eagle of the Ninth series, etc.).

Marguerite is a lovely picture book. There is a lapbook study available for it on Homeschoolshare.com.

Leif the Luck (D'Aulaires, I'm assuming) is also a lovely picture book.

I'm not sure which book you're referring to regarding Viking Adventure.....

The others are chapter books. They are good, but if you have other chapter books available for your various time periods, others would serve as well.....

You've all been a wonderful help! I know I'm getting Marguerite Makes a Book,

Leif the Lucky, and The Minstrel in the Tower. I guess I'll wait and see what my budget is going to be before deciding on the others!

Thanks for the help!