Menu

Other books like the Happy Hollisters?

Someone on this forum recommended the Happy Hollister series-- THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

OUr family LOVES these books! They're uplifting, clean, fun books!

My boys are so picky, and they love these books.

Can you recommend other books like these?

Old are fine, If they're good!

Thanks!

Oh, the boys are 10, 8 and 7.

When you are getting the Bobbsey Twin books, get the OLD ones. The new ones are half the book in just about every way. They have half the sentence structure, half the vocabulary, half the reading level (both considered the same reading level in their time though), half the content, half the length. It's just crazy. The old ones have so much to offer. Get them. :)

At the time my dd was reading the Bobbsey Twins and Happy Hollister, she was also reading Shiloh, Strawberry Girl, and BoxCar Children. We did do the Orphan Train books also but I pre-read and we skipped one of them.

I don't think your boys would think Caddie Woodlawn (sequel is Magical Melons) would be too girly if they tried them.

You might try Arthur Scott Bailey's books also if you can find them.

Not the same, but you might try there series: MotorBoat Boys, Rover Boys, and Tom Swift.

(note: obviously we were influenced by the Robinson Curriculum list)

Happy Hollister books were one of the things that made me glad for a good librarian when my daughter was little though. She was a very young capable reader and we wanted appropriate reading level without inappropriate content. This was a nice find :)

We started the Happy Hollisters after having it on WWE 1 and we have read about 5 or 6 and I keep getting them in order from the library. My kids love them. We also just finished all 5 Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books - even my 3 year old loved them. We also listened to The Patch Work Girl (Oz book) about 7 times in the car.