Menu

Easy, Healthy, Nutritious

Another vote for fresh veggies. I like to lightly steam them or do a stir fry with a tbsp of olive oil and some water or chicken stock to keep them from sticking.

Also, some of us have more trouble giving up the starches than others. If you feel you can't give up pasta, switch to whole wheat. It is more filling and has more nutrients. Same with brown rice instead of white rice, whole grain bread instead of white bread, etc. Of course you should still only eat it occasionally and in small quantities.

A few things that have really helped us-- Make your large meal at lunch time and a small meal (very small) for supper. You need more food/ energy early in the day. So many people eat large meals at night and do not do much else. We do not buy white- or wheat- we buy multi grain (my dh says bricks and morter LOL) We also have large amounts of veggies (2-3) per meal except breakfast (though we have alot of breakfast burritos with lots of peppers and onions in them... :tongue_smilie:)

So stay away from white (tortillas, bread, rice, pasta- anything white), wheat and processed and stick to whole grains and fresh! Have a large meal for lunch and a small salad or veggie for supper!

It's easy to swap whole grain pastas, breads, and grains (tabouleh, quinoa, etc.) for the white ones you may normally eat; baked sweet potatoes make a delicious addition to any meal and can be cooked in the microwave; frozen veggies are healthy and easy to prepare. Serve two veggies at dinner.

I make a whole grain pasta salad most nights while I'm cleaning up the kitchen with lots of fresh, chopped veggies (cherry tomatoes, broccoli, shredded carrots, diced cucumber, etc.); mix with homemade dressing (olive oil, lemon juice, a splash of water, garlic, salt/pepper, and dried herbs). Toss; refridgerate overnight. Top with grated cheese before serving the next day for a great lunch.

Don't buy processed food. If it's not in the house then you can't eat it.

Lots of vegetables and vegetables juices- based on greens such as celery and cucumber, not carrots, beets or apples which are very sugary.

Green smoothies- fruit, handful of greens, and water.

Green powders- spirulina, wheatgrass, bluegreen algae etc

Basically, lots of green vegies, and other vegies.

Avocado dip (guacomale), with vegetable sticks, is a good way to eat vegies.

Also, read the labels! I bought some guacamole the other day and the ingredients were ridiculous. I forgot to check. Stay away from high fructose corn sweetners, perservatives, and dyes.

Yes, isnt it amazing what is in those containers? I have found guacomale in the supermarket with a tiny 8% of actual avocado in it, and so many toxic ingredients. I know its convenient to buy the containers sometimes, but I cant justify buying that- thats not food! And its pretty easy to make guacomale at home- takes 2-3 minutes.

and I'm feeling fantastic!

Morning: 1 cup of high-fiber cereal & 1 cup of soy milk plus 1 T of flax seed.

Snack: 1 cup of tomato juice and 1/4 nuts or half an avacado

Lunch: 4 fruits (cut up or made into a salad)

Snack: Raw carrots, celery, sliced peppers and chickpea/black bean dip.

Dinner: Large salad and bean-based entree (fatfreevegan for recipes)

Desert: Low-cal hot chocolate*

My dh and I cheat once a week (dinner out on a Fri or Saturday).

*After the first couple of weeks, I no longer crave any sweets. The fresh fruit and veggies I eat taste so good to me. It's like my taste-buds have changesd I am within 5 lbs of my goal weight (I've lost 13) and I just can't imagine eating any other way.

hth,

K