Menu

Story of the World questions- PLEASE help!

motherdear

What ages are the volumes for?

Does vol. 2 cover Rome from beginning to end?

Would the SOTW book w/ activity guide make a good coverage of the time period for 6/7/8 graders? or is there another fun activity idea book I could stick in here and there.

Would Winter Promise's notebookin pages fit inwith these (or are they too matched to MOH?)

We have sooo much to cover in other ares, I need to make something simple SOMEWHERE!(I may even go DVD)

tia!

MJ

I have read that SWB said that it is written to appeal to 1st & 2nd graders in Vol. 1 & 2 at least. I agree with that -- I used Vol. 1 with a 1st grader and she loves it. However, some curriculum like Sonlight & MFW use SOTW at much older ages. It is meant to be used as a volume per year if it is your main history curr. So you you start with 1st grade/Vol. 1, you'd be in fourth grade at volume 4. I think that was SWB's intent when she wrote them. (However, they aren't at a 1st grade reading level; you need to read them aloud at the younger grades).

Vol. 1 goes from early people to the fall of Rome, Vol. 2 starts from the fall of Rome through the Middle Ages. Look at the Peace Hill Press website, and you can see what the actual times are for each volume. You won't get much of Rome in Vol. 2, because it starts at the time when Rome has fallen to the Barbarians. Most of Rome is in Vol. 1.

I am not sure the AG is geared to 6-8 grades. I used Vol. 1 AG with a 1st grader, and it was perfect for her. I think that age is a little old for these AG's but maybe someone else has used them for older ages.

I haven't used Winter Promise, so sorry I can't help you there!

Just fyi, am Planning to use Mystery of History for Cycle 2 of history, starting in 5th grade.

MonaLisa

I have read that SWB said that it is written to appeal to 1st & 2nd graders in Vol. 1 & 2 at least. I agree with that -- I used Vol. 1 with a 1st grader and she loves it. However, some curriculum like Sonlight & MFW use SOTW at much older ages. It is meant to be used as a volume per year if it is your main history curr. So you you start with 1st grade/Vol. 1, you'd be in fourth grade at volume 4. I think that was SWB's intent when she wrote them. (However, they aren't at a 1st grade reading level; you need to read them aloud at the younger grades).

Vol. 1 goes from early people to the fall of Rome, Vol. 2 starts from the fall of Rome through the Middle Ages. Look at the Peace Hill Press website, and you can see what the actual times are for each volume. You won't get much of Rome in Vol. 2, because it starts at the time when Rome has fallen to the Barbarians. Most of Rome is in Vol. 1.

I am not sure the AG is geared to 6-8 grades. I used Vol. 1 AG with a 1st grader, and it was perfect for her. I think that age is a little old for these AG's but maybe someone else has used them for older ages.

I haven't used Winter Promise, so sorry I can't help you there!

Just fyi, am Planning to use Mystery of History for Cycle 2 of history, starting in 5th grade.

MonaLisa

I just heard about Mystery of History. We're using SOTW 1 but just beginning it and having a hard time moving forward. Do you think Mystery of History is targeted for the older child like around 10 years old and SOTW for the younger child? I am just wondering if I should switch from SOTW to Mystery for DD5.

Would the SOTW book w/ activity guide make a good coverage of the time period for 6/7/8 graders? or is there another fun activity idea book I could stick in here and there.

SOTW could be a supplement for those grade levels, but definitely not full coverage. I was trying to use SOTW 2 with my new 7th grader with the plan to beef it up with the encyclopedia pages listed in the activity book, literature selections from the WTM book, and the WTM writing assignments. I posted in another thread that we lasted 2 weeks. My dd12 hated it. It was so below her level that she didn't find it entertaining at all. She was quite put out that I would schedule something like that for her. It is definitely not a spine for middle schoolers. If you wanted to put the time and effort into creating your own program, you could use the timeline of the book to find lots of other books, but you sound like me, and you want something simple.

K12 has a world history two-book set called The Human Odyssey that some people really like. That is what I was going to change to but DH asked me to cover American History instead.

They were written for the grammar stage, which is grades 1 through 4.

That's not my understanding. Volume one was written for grades 1-4, volume two for grades 2-5, volume 3 for grades 3-6, and volume 4 for grades 4-8. SWB does recommend that once the child reaches logic stage supplementing with Kingfisher or another encyclopedia. She also recommends the use of a timeline.

You'll find this information in the forward to volume 4 or in any of the Activity Guides in the Multilevel Teaching Section of How to Use The Activity Guide.

That's not my understanding. Volume one was written for grades 1-4, volume two for grades 2-5, volume 3 for grades 3-6, and volume 4 for grades 4-8. SWB does recommend that once the child reaches logic stage supplementing with Kingfisher or another encyclopedia. She also recommends the use of a timeline.

You'll find this information in the forward to volume 4 or in any of the Activity Guides in the Multilevel Teaching Section of How to Use The Activity Guide.

:iagree:

I just checked and found exactly that in my AG for Vol. 3 which I will be using with a 4th and 6th grader.

:iagree: There are reading suggestions for older students listed in the activity guides. And yes, you're supposed to do a timeline with logic-stage kids. There was someone who had a great notebooking timeline on their blog at one time, that's a simple way of doing it.