Menu

Enough for a Chemistry course?

For Chemistry, my now PS offered me a Chemistry book. It is the one they use in class. Reading through it, it is very well understood and I like the feel of it. The only problem, no Teacher's Manual or Answers Manual :glare:

So, I went to my local thrift store and sifted through their books and found a wonderful AP Chemistry prep book. It has two practice tests with questions, and it has about 14 chapters with answers to the questions they ask at the end of the chapters. All the end of the chapter questions are in the form of the AP exam, AND it has the answer key WITH detailed answers :drool: I just could not take it at this point. All this for $3.99? :willy_nilly:

Anyways, if I read my textbook, and then used the questions from the AP Chem. book, would that be enough for Chem.? I don't plan on following a medical career. I want to be a History major. I know the AP Chem prep. book won't cover everything needed in an introductory course, because obviously if you're getting ready for the AP Chem. test you have some background. But if I use my textbook, the AP Chem prep book, MIT Open Courseware, and library resources, would this be enough for an intro. Chem. course??

Thanks. I was looking at Chem. study guides and workbooks and blah blah on amazon, but honestly, I would like to spare myself the $20.00. Thanks :)

ETA: We were planning on using Zuhmdahl for Chem., or any other textbook that came with an answer's manual, but we are really trying to cut back on spending.

You might want to find out how much lab science would be required for colleges that interest you. If you need a lab science, you might need to add a lab component. I am not sure of any cheap options. We will be using Castle Heights Chemistry lab book and will be purchasing the lab kit from Home Science tools. I hope someone here can give you some more advice about labs if that is what you need.

You might want to find out how much lab science would be required for colleges that interest you. If you need a lab science, you might need to add a lab component. I am not sure of any cheap options. We will be using Castle Heights Chemistry lab book and will be purchasing the lab kit from Home Science tools. I hope someone here can give you some more advice about labs if that is what you need.

The AP exam book suggests labs to do, but we already have some labs in mind and are buying the Apologia Lab Kit. Thank you for the suggestion though :)

I haven't looked specifically, but I would suspect the AP book would cover the basic chemistry. Those are things the students need to know and everything builds on that. It would be difficult to leave it out of a book like that.

A lot of the things in my high school Chem. book are skipped in the AP Chem. book but maybe those are just concept chapters and not math-y ones.

I would stick to the Apologia or Zumdahl if you can't get a key. It will be very frustrating doing the problems and not knowing if you got them correct.

Maybe your teacher can give you the ISBN to the Teacher's Manual, or see if there is a solutions manual (and an ISBN) to go with your book. My son did Zumdahl's at college, he never had the key, he bought a solutions manual.

:iagree: We bought the MicroChem Kit from Home Science Tools & it came with a lab book explaining the experiments and had places to put your observations & to answer questions. It sounds like you're all set with this, though.

I highly recommend the chemistry LabPaq.

Are you able to compare this with MicroChem? Is it harder or more advanced? Dd is going to do another Chem course in her jr year at the AP level, and I don't think it will look good to use the same thing she used her freshman year if she needs another lab for this.

Are you able to compare this with MicroChem? Is it harder or more advanced? Dd is going to do another Chem course in her jr year at the AP level, and I don't think it will look good to use the same thing she used her freshman year if she needs another lab for this.

I haven't seen the MicroChem kit so I can't directly compare them. The LabPaq kit we used was this one http://www.labpaq.com/kd-ChemKit-101.htm which says it's for high school or a one semester college course. They have other kits though. You could ask them.

I haven't seen the MicroChem kit so I can't directly compare them. The LabPaq kit we used was this one http://www.labpaq.com/kd-ChemKit-101.htm which says it's for high school or a one semester college course. They have other kits though. You could ask them.

I'm sorry, my question is probably a little off tangent. Do you assign a separate credit to a lab component, and if not, how many lab work per week or how many hours of lab work needs to be done to accompany a one credit science course?

Thanks.

I'm sorry, my question is probably a little off tangent. Do you assign a separate credit to a lab component, and if not, how many lab work per week or how many hours of lab work needs to be done to accompany a one credit science course?

Thanks.

This is the same problem I have been having. My PS listed my Bio lab as a 1/2 yr credit separate from my lecture but a lot of people on here say I should count them as 1 (the lab and the lecture). I am still trying to figure out what I will do. A lot of people say Apologia purposely incorporates lab into the lecture so it is only worth one credit. I don't know what you're using though so maybe it isn't the same for you.

Idk. I am interested in what answers you get.

Thanks.

I will not be assigning separate credit. The transcript will read "Chemistry with lab" or something like that. There are 14 labs in the kit we are using and they each take about 1-2 hours to perform. The reports seem to take another hour or two (my son is a slow writer though).

Thanks for the link. She did more labs with MicroChem, and they took about the same time, however I will check this out when I start looking into AP Chem since they have other kits, too.