Menu

I'd like to know more about Glaceau's SmartWater...

Okay. I'm on a water kick. I asked about Big Berkey's on another thread and now I want to know about the bottled water called SmartWater by Glaceau. It's distilled with electrolytes added back in. I've heard it tastes great. It's not cheap, though. I picked up a bottle yesterday, but we haven't tried it yet. Dr. Weil claims that distilled water is the best water. Some say it isn't good for you b/c it has no minerals. Others say it tastes horrible...except Smartwater, which gets great reviews. Anyone?

I like SmartWater and think it tastes better than, say, Dasani. It's overpriced, but Target frequently puts it on sale for $1 a bottle and I stock up then.

Do you buy it all the time? Do you feel it's more pure since it's distilled? Do you know if it's a healthy bottled water? (If that makes any sense. LOL) I LOVE the taste of Dasani water, can't imagine it tastes better than that. Dasani is purified by reverse osmosis.

Reverse osmosis and distilled water are great if you have an excess of calcium/minerals in your system, because the water lacks them, so it draws them out of your body. Great if you have kidney stones.

However, a pinch of sea salt or a few drops of colloidal minerals will balance that out.

The best water is actual spring water from a healthy spring, because its still alive and full of minerals. Preferably not shipped across a continent or two. The carbon footprint!

Water is big business nowadays. I am not sure I like that- its water. We shouldnt be having to pay for quality water, while we poison our rivers and streams! Something is very wrong there! I bought a crate of beautiful spring water a while back and it was great water. But I just cant justify doing that. Its water. We have a water filter. It is good enough.

I would invest in expensive water if I was doing a fast or a cleanse, but not for everyday use.

When we drove across country last summer, I bought some cheaper bottles of water. When we ran out, I picked up some SmartWater and I could tell a difference. I thought the SmartWater was more refreshing than the other stuff.

IIRC, Alton Brown discussed bottled waters on his show once. If it's actual spring water, it HAS to say what spring it's from; if it doesn't give that info, it's just tap water. I don't know where SmartWater falls, but I did like it better than the regular bottled water.

Do you buy it all the time? Do you feel it's more pure since it's distilled? Do you know if it's a healthy bottled water? (If that makes any sense. LOL) I LOVE the taste of Dasani water, can't imagine it tastes better than that. Dasani is purified by reverse osmosis.

I looked this up for you:

http://glaceau.com/media/smartwater_report.pdf

I have to confess that I just looked at it myself. I do always buy SmartWater because it tastes so good and really is refreshing. I was never into bottled water before I tried SW.

I guess I don't see any reason for this stuff, except possibly for truly extreme athletes (marathoners and the like) while training or those who are ill and really need electrolyte replacement. For the rest of us, I vote for plain filtered water at home. For my son, who tends a little toward dehydration in the heat of summer, I try to start his day with a cup of miso soup with dulse (sea vegetable) flakes in it for additional salts and minerals, and then keep him drinking from a reusable stainless steel bottle all day.

The environmental impact and the potential negative health consequences of using plastic water bottles keeps me steering clear of them except for "emergency" situations.

I think I remember hearing a review on the today show that most bottled waters are not any different or better then most tap water.

Maybe you can google it and find out. or search on the today show website for the story. :001_smile:

I read a news report the other week that said that bottled water actually has higher amounts of bacteria than water from your tap - I don't remember where, but I'll link it if I can find it again...prolly somewhere on CBC.

We don't really buy it... well, dd13 does - she's convinced that it tastes "better" than the tap water. I can't tell the difference myself.

ETA: ha, found it quickly: High Bacteria Rates Found In Bottled Water

Edited by fivetails
add link

I guess I don't see any reason for this stuff, except possibly for truly extreme athletes (marathoners and the like) while training or those who are ill and really need electrolyte replacement. For the rest of us, I vote for plain filtered water at home. For my son, who tends a little toward dehydration in the heat of summer, I try to start his day with a cup of miso soup with dulse (sea vegetable) flakes in it for additional salts and minerals, and then keep him drinking from a reusable stainless steel bottle all day.

The environmental impact and the potential negative health consequences of using plastic water bottles keeps me steering clear of them except for "emergency" situations.

:iagree: I think bottled water is a horrible trend. Bad for the environment, bad for the budget.

(And I felt this way even before my tap water came from my own private well in Vermont.)

I sometimes get Smart Water when we're sick. I compare it to pedialite or Gadorade, without all the sugar and food coloring. So, if we're sick and need the electrolites, Smart Water is great. If not, we just drink from the Brita. I do like bottled water every now and then when we're out and about. I compare it to buying pop. If I'm out and need something to drink buying bottled water is no worse for the environment than picking up a pop. And it's much better for me to buy the water.