Menu

Need a new computer..what do I want?

I've been dealing with a slow, ancient, no-sound, piece o junk computer for too long now. I must have a new one before I go completely insane. Any recommendations? Do I want a MAC or should I stick with a PC? There might be a little issue of cost :glare: but I am looking at all options! Thanks!

I really like my Mac that we bought more than a year ago especially for lack of problems, ease of photo software, video software and music software.

However, I have worked as an engineer for many years and do not like the word processing and spreadsheet applications as well as Microsoft Office. I have been a heavy user of excel and word and have learned many complex applications for both. I don't think pages and numbers (both are Mac applications) have the same robustness that I am used to.

I really like my Mac that we bought more than a year ago especially for lack of problems, ease of photo software, video software and music software.

However, I have worked as an engineer for many years and do not like the word processing and spreadsheet applications as well as Microsoft Office. I have been a heavy user of excel and word and have learned many complex applications for both. I don't think pages and numbers (both are Mac applications) have the same robustness that I am used to.

You need Office for Mac!

mac mac mac mac mac mac (broken record yet???)

Why? Because they are 100 million times more stable than a PC. Because they just don't get viruses (there *are* viruses written for macs, but macs just don't catch them). To be completely safe, though, we bought Avast antivirus software for mac only because we had been SO BURNED by viruses right before we decided to dump the PC.

Multi media stuff is amazing on the mac. Photo software couldn't be easier.

Go to an apple store and check it out for yourself. I never needed one lesson to switch to Mac. They have PC to Mac tutorials built into the machine and online.

I use both the Mac "office" software and Microsoft Office for Mac -- about 50/50. No reason why I haven't chosen a preference yet. The calendaring is wonderful. We've had to buy very little aftermarket software, just Office for Mac and a couple of games. I'm sure there are tons of great apps that we could buy, though, we just don't see the need right now.

Edited by BikeBookBread

mac mac mac mac mac mac (broken record yet???)

Why? Because they are 100 million times more stable than a PC. Because they just don't get viruses (there *are* viruses written for macs, but macs just don't catch them). To be completely safe, though, we bought Avast antivirus software for mac only because we had been SO BURNED by viruses right before we decided to dump the PC.

Multi media stuff is amazing on the mac. Photo software couldn't be easier.

Go to an apple store and check it out for yourself. I never needed one lesson to switch to Mac. They have PC to Mac tutorials built into the machine and online.

hmmmm, yes I'll have to go to a store.

I have not bought Office for Mac, but we have done research on line saying that it just isn't as good as office on a PC.

Adding parallels to Mac and putting office and windows on the Mac is an option. My understanding is that you could not run both and that you would have to reboot each time you wanted to switch. Also it sounds like there are major issues with using documents in both.

Quicken for mac is another piece of software that just isn't as good as that for a PC.

I have not bought Office for Mac, but we have done research on line saying that it just isn't as good as office on a PC.

Adding parallels to Mac and putting office and windows on the Mac is an option. My understanding is that you could not run both and that you would have to reboot each time you wanted to switch. Also it sounds like there are major issues with using documents in both.

Quicken for mac is another piece of software that just isn't as good as that for a PC.

I did hear today that iWork is the Apple word processing/spreadsheet equivalent and that you can open and share files no problem. I wonder how it is IRL though. This was a rep. I spoke with.

Did you know that Apple give homeschoolers their educational discounts?

*whispers*

mac mac mac mac mac.....

Um, I write all of my docs on word for mac, no parallels, none of that. I e-mail editors with it, and all. I've never had a problem yet-and if I have (like sending pictures and such), it's on their side not mine.

Edited by justamouse

I did hear today that iWork is the Apple word processing/spreadsheet equivalent and that you can open and share files no problem. I wonder how it is IRL though. This was a rep. I spoke with.

I use iWork instead of Office for Mac for all of my college work. The word processor is called Pages. You can export .pages files as .doc files, and no one I've emailed them to has had problems opening the .doc files. The only problem I've had is that the documents tend to shorten themselves -- the text is all there, but it somehow takes up less room on the page. I have yet to figure out why. I think there must be some difference in the margins. I avoid the problem by exporting the files as .pdf or by printing the papers out myself. For people who don't have to worry about paper length as determined by page count, there isn't a problem at all.

iWork is also significantly cheaper than Office for Mac, if I remember correctly. iWork has also been improved (I have the '08 version).

Hope that helps!

Macs are the best! Personally, I would never go back to a PC. I have loads of software, including Office for Mac and iWork. I installed a windows emulator (VMFusion -- it's like Parallels) so that I could run windows programs for the kids. Now that was a big waste of money. No one ever wants to go back to the windows side, even though it is just a click away (no rebooting).

When I went shopping for a mac, I was looking for a laptop to replace my old Dell. But the mac laptops were expensive, so I looked at the desktop. It turned out that because of the way the mac is designed, the desktop actually takes up less space on my desk than the old 15" laptop did. (I went to an Apple store with a tape measure and then made a cardboard mock up of the iMac before deciding to buy it.)

Edited by Alessandra

I am sensing a trend here. :lol: My dh asked me tonight if I wanted a Mac or a PC and I said Mac, w/out a doubt if I could afford one. I started on a Mac many, many moons ago (on an Apple 2e) and used Macs in high school and college. Then we got a PC. Have had issues ever since. Viruses drive me crazy. CRAZY! So...tell me what KIND of Mac to get. Macbook? Desktop? Huh, huh? Tell me, tell me! :D Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

I am sensing a trend here. :lol: My dh asked me tonight if I wanted a Mac or a PC and I said Mac, w/out a doubt if I could afford one. I started on a Mac many, many moons ago (on an Apple 2e) and used Macs in high school and college. Then we got a PC. Have had issues ever since. Viruses drive me crazy. CRAZY! So...tell me what KIND of Mac to get. Macbook? Desktop? Huh, huh? Tell me, tell me! :D Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

I love our MacBook Pro. It goes everywhere with us when we travel. It moves around the house easily. It's much more computer than we need, but it was such a good price we couldn't resist. :)

The dc have a Mac Mini and it's great. We hooked it up to a tv screen.

My sister has the desktop for work. She loves the big screen.

Check for reconditioned macs. They have the same guaranty but are cheaper.:)

We joined the Mac cult two months ago, and I'll never go back.

We got a Mac Mini and used our own keyboard, mouse, monitor. You've heard the main reasons to get one, and I agree with them all. I also love it because the mini is very small and puts out no heat! The computer corner used to be a heat-generating, power-consuming, cramped space. Now it's cool, quiet, and clean.

I use iWork instead of Office for Mac for all of my college work. The word processor is called Pages. You can export .pages files as .doc files, and no one I've emailed them to has had problems opening the .doc files. The only problem I've had is that the documents tend to shorten themselves -- the text is all there, but it somehow takes up less room on the page. I have yet to figure out why. I think there must be some difference in the margins. I avoid the problem by exporting the files as .pdf or by printing the papers out myself. For people who don't have to worry about paper length as determined by page count, there isn't a problem at all.

iWork is also significantly cheaper than Office for Mac, if I remember correctly. iWork has also been improved (I have the '08 version).

Hope that helps!

yes iWork is waaay cheaper $41 AND there's a $30 rebate right now too. :)

I've been pricing things out -- go to the Education school, type in Homeschool where they ask you to enter your school's name so you get the homeschool discount.

The macbook pro is only $60 more than the macbook right now with all the discounts and rebates. AND you can get a rebate-for-free ipod touch & wireless printer right now.

Now you know what my plan is. :)

:D

My quote from Apple is in . . . . . still selling the idea to DH.

I could've screamed "mac" to my husband until i was blue in the face. It wasn't until a GUY FRIEND of his told him to dump PC that he relented. I'm not being s*xist here, but do you know a guy friend of his you could enlist to help him understand???

Now DH is 100% Mac-ite!