Menu

Ordinary Parents Guide vs. Explode the Code

EJCMom

Does anyone have any feedback on these two reading programs? Originally I thought I would go with Explode the Code because I've heard so many good things about it, but I'm also hearing good things about OPGTR. OPGTR would definitely be a less expensive way to teach the kids to read, but I'm curious how it compares with ETC. Feedback, anyone?

I love Explode the Code but personally, I don't consider it a reading program. I use it along with a phonics program. For my middle son, we did ETC along with Phonics Pathways and had great success. PP was done orally while ETC provided written reinforcement (practice.) Having heard many good things about OPGTR, I picked it up for my youngest but I'm still on the fence because PP worked so well...:confused:

Edited by Surfside Academy

I haven't ever looked closely at ETC, but I do use (and love!) OPGTR. I have always heard great things about ETC, but a huge deciding factor for me would be that OPGTR has NO required writing while ETC seems to be centered around writing. My young son is reading well, but not yet writing. So it really depends on your own personal situation.

What I personally love about OPGTR:

-It is thorough and I know there will be no "holes" in phonics instruction.

-It goes to a fairly advanced stage of reading, so I'm not concerned with following it up with another program.

-It has short lessons so child can learn in small bites--one lesson is enough for a day, but we can easily do more than one if he is able.

Edited by Amie

We have used OPGTR with success with two children, so far. I really like the simplicity of the book. There's not a lot of frou-frou and it is so easy to use. I have always thought the ETC was something that could be used to supplement OPGTR, but I have never used it.

I used OPGTR for phonics with 2 dc, and it was very successful. I agree that ETC is not really a phonics program, but a supplement for extra practice. If your child is printing well you can use it along side a phonics primer. I personally liked the MCP plaid phonics books better than ETC. My kids couldn't always tell what the pictures in ETC were supposed to be. That's just a personal preference, though. Many people really like ETC.

OPGTR is a little dry, but I just told my kids to think of it as a tool to help them read real books. Some people prefer more color/pictures, etc., but it worked great for us.

I use both together. They compliment each other very well and don't take very long at all. Ds wasn't even speaking English last summer, we live in Mexico, now he is reading. Is was painless and has worked wonderfully.

Danielle

My daughter is around lesson 75 in OPGTR, but does not write well.

For those of you who use both OPGTR and ETC, would you say OPGTR is good standing alone or do you think ETC provides essential practice and reinforcement?

I was thinking of getting ETC, but if it's going to cause frustration from having to do a lot of writing then I don't want to go there.

We use both. ETC isn't what I would consider a reading program....we call it Phonics at our house. OPGTR is "reading lesson" time. I love them both and think they go together very well.

Yes. Exactly. :)

We did ETC orally and my ds was 5.5 when he finished ETC 7 and read Wonderful Wizard of OZ by himself in Sonlight Core K.

Younger ds is just starting ETC 7 orally at age 5.4 and is reading Little Pear and His Rabbits and Littles.

I checked out OPGTR from the library two times and didn't use it.

I never used another program except ETC and they are both reading well above their peers.

So I believe ETC can work as stand alone and you can do it orally and the kids can spell words orally while you write them down.

I LOVE the sentences for practice in ETC. That is what keeps my kids going.

J

My daughter is around lesson 75 in OPGTR, but does not write well.

For those of you who use both OPGTR and ETC, would you say OPGTR is good standing alone or do you think ETC provides essential practice and reinforcement?

I was thinking of getting ETC, but if it's going to cause frustration from having to do a lot of writing then I don't want to go there.

I do ETC orally and it has worked fine.

Danielle

I haven't seen ETC. We do use OPG, and I love it because it doesn't use any pictures, nor does it use a ton of cards, playing pieces, little books, etc., etc., etc. Can you tell that would drive me :willy_nilly:. All those little pieces of things that some programs have would NOT work here. :tongue_smilie:

OPG is simple. It is affordable. It is open-and-go, though I do recommend getting the pre-printed cards that come with the program. They are well worth the price, you just have to cut them out. The CD is not necessary, IMO, but the kids liked dancing to the songs. :D

I've taught my 5.5 yo to read -- to really read well -- with OPG. I'm using it for my 3.5 yo twins, they are coming along, also. My two cents.

We used ETC for Kindergarten and loved it. For first grade, we were really focused on OPGTR and AAS and I sort of forgot about ETC until a friend talked about using it with her son. I added it back in and found all three to complement each other very well. Even though my son is not reading too much yet, he can do the ETC books mostly on his own which is a great confidence booster for him and one less thing that I need to sit right beside him for.

Have only used OPG for a short time but so far we love it. Very simple to implement. The lessons are clearly presented. There are no pictures. No tears as soon as the book gets picked up. I know little of the other program.

I have no experience with the OPG program. However, we did use one ETC workbook for remediation in grade 2 or 3 (sorry I'm fuzzy on the year). It went well and worked like I expected it to.

When we began school, I taught ds how to read with HOP. Then we moved right into a workbook curriculum that had readers. Alongside that, we used CLP's Adventures in Phonics book B, and that seemed to be enough phonics practice. After he finished that, I had him start in the BJU Spelling 2 workbook to finish out that year. Ds is an excellent reader, which may or may not be attributed to the curriculum I used. Maybe it just came natural to him. I don't know for sure? lol

Actually, I wanted to give out a holler for teaching reading with ETC alone. One of my best friends used it SOLELY to teach her 5yo how to read. It worked perfectly! She moved him through all the books and levels, except they did skip most of the .5 workbooks. He is an EXCELLENT reader!

I saw that someone said ETC would only work if the child was already writing. But if I'm recalling correctly ETC now has an online version of ETC which I do not think requires writing (not 100% sure on that, though, you'd have to check).

HTH!

~Cocoa

Edited by cocoabean