Menu

If you have a group of boys and they aren't getting their schoolwork done...

I'm curious how those with a group of boys get schoolwork done. Is it just my boys? I was talking to another homeschool mom with two boys and we were both just laughing about how strange boys are some times.

I have all three doing school now. I have to constantly keep up on them or they are all over the place. The only outside activities we have are the YMCA and we usually spend Friday with another homeschool family.

My 7 year old whines a lot during school. I sent his brothers to school at this age because I could not take the whining. Somedays I really regret it. But, he is very, very active and I think he would have been labled.

If I had the money I would just go to SOS for everyone:tongue_smilie:

I am going to do TT with my second child next year. That will take away the subject he doesn't like doing with me. I use a VA so I can't purchase any religious type of materials. I'm doing OM 2 with my younger boy next year. That way I don't have to plan anything. Just pull it out and do the work.

Any thoughts?

My 7 yo is pretty energetic--right now he's doing four (!!) sports! But I keep school short-2-3 hours, and I have worked very hard on keeping him 'on task', understanding that school time is short but focussed. That's really helped him over the last 2 years. I empathize with you!!!:grouphug:

I only have 2 boys out of my 6, and they are exhausting. I have to stay on them ALL the time to get their work finished. I have tried all kinds of things for incentive, but nothing works. They are just very active and normal, I think. All of my IRL homeschooling friends with boys seem to deal with the same issues. Some of them assure me it will get easier as they get older, but I'm not so sure. My boys would rather be doing anything than schoolwork.:tongue_smilie:

Hang in there.

Perhaps a little competition in finishing (and finishing accurately) might spur them on? Perhaps a little reward (small cookie, some chocolate chips, etc.) when they reach a goal? Perhaps some physical activity that's short and highly intensive (5 minutes of running round the house, or up and down stairs, etc.) between subjects might keep them in their seats better and help them focus while doing the next subject?

honey babe, I got *1* boy (spd, gifted, stubborn), and trying to navigate all of his "issues", even though they are relatively mild compared to some kids. Some days are like strolling through a minefield LOL! You don't want to know how my day has gone. Fortunately, my oldest was similar, so I've btdt once already, but it is EXHAUSTING getting through school some days. Both my oldest and youngest would have been "labeled" something for sure. I use a combo of hopefully good curriculum, carrots/sticks, and big guns (so to speak - ha). Lots of redirect, breaks, child tracking (where did that kid go????).

I do that. Often I have to go find them. Before I know it's 1 in the afternoon. Joining the YMCA has helped a lot. But, their classes are in the afternoon.

Well, your 13 and 10 year old should be able to run or exercise in a circuit or for a specified time before coming in for school. Then it is school time for x amount of time. If there are problems concentrating then I would have them "drop and give you ten (push-ups, jumping jacks, windmills etc.) then it is right back to work. I let ds go around the block for a break because I know that he will come right back. If he didn't, then I would not let him go far to let out some of that physical energy. If the have the Y in the afternoons, they should be able to buckle down and get school done with some small energy breaks, knowing that their reward (Y time) was coming.

It is like herding cats. I start fairly late in the morning (9 a.m.), give them a 15 min P.E. time during the morning (we use a timer) and take a two hour break at lunch. With one of my sons, it helps to give him a list of what to do and then he can decide what order to do it in. With the other one, I have to sit with him sometimes (especially with math).

Can you give me some rewards and more ways to spur them on?

I do little candies with my younger boy. He loves the naturally colored lollipops from Trader Joes. He likes the sticker chart in Hooked on Phonics. But, I'm not too good at thinking up that kind of stuff.

I once did popcorn jars with the kids: for each subject completed in a timely manner and with a charitable attitude they got to place 1 tsp of popcorn kernels in their own jar (baby food jar). When a jar got full that child got to stay up late that evening for a specified amount of time with mom and dad - popcorn and a movie or board game. I don't know why I ever stopped actually. It was a great motivator.

My 14yo ds still needs me hovering and herding and getting him to refocus. My dd16 sits and just plod her way through- often rather slowly. Ds races, does badly, gets half of it wrong, shuts the book and puts it away so I dont notice for a day or two, then rushes onto the next subject and does the same!

I think you have to work "with" them and their natures, keep your sense of humour, enjoy them for who and what they are, and beg borrow or steal bucket loads of patience from somewhere. Boys are fun! I started homeschooling my son at 7, and we would do a bit of bookwork, some reading on the couch, some learning to read (he couldnt read when he came home from school) and then we would get out of the house- walk to the shops for a chocolate, or go and kick a soccer ball in the park. Anything- he had to move. He's 14 now and does his work in another room so he can concentrate- but he will run in and out of the room where dd and I sit, talk to us, tell us very important things, and basically annoy and distract us, a dozen times a day.

With my boys, I've noticed that a working routine really helps to keep us efficiently working. I usually play quiet, classical music while my boys work at the dining table. They take basketball breaks, and each one takes a break with the littles while I'm working one on one with another. They take a longer break at lunch and then it's back to school or reading time/quiet time. We've had nearly the same routine for 11 years. And -- this is important -- I have to stay on task. If I begin taking phone calls or doing laundry, well then everyone gets distracted.

Lisa

Keep a chart and add 10 more minutes of TV time, or gaming time, or whatever activity they like to do time.....

(or give tokens out and every xxxxx amount of tokens equals another quarter hour of time for these activities, etc.)

Or, make up tokens and a chart to redeem them for things they like, such as a park day or (I have no idea what sorts of things they might have an interest in) a small toy, etc. So, for instance, something big would take a lot more tokens than a small thing and I'm just going to make up some things I might do with mine:

One token for each subject completed within the time limit and with no whining. Subject must be done to the best of one's ability. Some longer or more difficult subjects may merit more than one token. How many subjects to they do a day? I'd make the amount of tokens necessary to be earned comport with that such that they're not winning millions of things weekly, but can have some success and by saving up their tokens to win at least a small thing each week or save to win a larger thing the next week. Some success relatively soon will be necessary to keep their interest....

Redeemable for favorite treats of child, such as:

One pack of sugarless gum or bubblegum - 5 tokens

Cuppa chai tea from favorite location - 10 tokens

One package of favorite cookies or snack cakes, etc. - 15 tokens

Ice cream cone from favorite place - 20 tokens

Lunch at favorite (cheap) place to eat - 30 tokens

A day at their favorite park - 40 tokens

Counting chips (large, plastic, colorful chips) can be used for tokens, for instance. Each person can have his own small poster with his goals on it. It might even help to let them have some say in choosing what the prizes will be that they can earn......

I put in food items thinking of my sugar loving younger son and things he likes as treats. In reality, we eat out most days for lunch and if he is naughty or doesn't get his work done, we just don't go out. He loves this time so he seldom risks losing it.....

But you could do this with anything. They could win a special date with Dad to do something like go fishing or throw frisbee. They could win a chance to invite friends over for a play date. They could win a walk in the woods if you have parks with trails nearby. They could win a movie and popcorn afternoon. They could win anything that would be of interest to them.....

Here's a chart that lists some other ideas by age range:

http://childdevelopmentinfo.com/parenting/rewards.shtml

I think you have to work "with" them and their natures, keep your sense of humour, enjoy them for who and what they are, and beg borrow or steal bucket loads of patience from somewhere. Boys are fun!

I noticed your quote in your sig. My oldest is named Gibran;)

I'm reading Wild Things right now. It's helping some. I sometimes forget boys are boys. I think I grew up with too much of this girls are just as good as boys. No one taught me to really appreciate and see that their are gender differences. They aren't bad either. Just different. I need to think on that more. But, there is definitely something to that.