Menu

I'm really surprised about the Gores' splitting up.

Even though your parents' divorce when you are an adult probably doesn't affect your daily life, it's still a VERY difficult and painful thing to go through that has lasting ramifications.

Oh yeah. I know this. From personal experience ;)

Well, actually, I didn't find it that difficult...... I'm a grown-up, they're grown-up's, we're all good and reasonably sane. :D

I'm getting a little annoyed with the media regarding this divorce. I've heard two different newcasters refer to this as a "successful" marriage because they made it 40 years and are parting on friendly terms.

I am not surprised.

Warning, if you haven't already, divorce proof your marriage.

Divorce-Proof Your Marriage by Rosberg, I think.

true but funny sayings,... You can either be right or you can be married. If your not taking care of your wife (husband), someone else will. If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy!

Wow, I had not heard this! And I did not read thru all of the other posts. But I would say besides the obvious pressure of life in the public eye, he has really been traveling the world with all of his environmental work, that if they were not committed to carving out time for each other I can "see" how they grew apart.

But you never do know the real story!

It is sad, though. I cannot imagine being married for 40 years and not fighting tooth and nail to keep the marriage together. :confused:

Are you assuming they haven't fought "tooth and nail"? :confused:

I think, sometimes, when people use the phrase "keep the marriage together", they mean "not divorce". To me, keeping a marriage together is an active, vibrant, living process - it's not avoiding divorce.

I am not surprised.

Warning, if you haven't already, divorce proof your marriage.

Divorce-Proof Your Marriage by Rosberg, I think.

true but funny sayings,... You can either be right or you can be married. If your not taking care of your wife (husband), someone else will. If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy!

:001_huh::confused:

It takes 2 to make a successful marriage (not just avoid divorce).

It only takes one to ruin a marriage (with or without divorce).

I wonder how much of this is a way to shelter assets which may disappear due to the global warming scandal. They indicated that there was no affair, everyone is surprised because they seem loving...leads one to wonder *why* and what advantage they may have for splitting up. If you can make it 40 years seems like it would take something huge (and therefore well known) to break that up.

I wonder how much of this is a way to shelter assets which may disappear due to the global warming scandal. They indicated that there was no affair, everyone is surprised because they seem loving...leads one to wonder *why* and what advantage they may have for splitting up. If you can make it 40 years seems like it would take something huge (and therefore well known) to break that up.

Global warming scandal?

They indicated that there was no affair, everyone is surprised because they seem loving...leads one to wonder *why* and what advantage they may have for splitting up. If you can make it 40 years seems like it would take something huge (and therefore well known) to break that up.

I'm certifiably gob-smacked at the assumptions and insinuations expressed in this thread. Do people seriously believe marriages only end for hot topic reasons (e.g. affairs)? Is it not understood that all kinds of married people are living parallel lives (parallel with one another, that is)? That people can "seem" loving while no longer genuinely loving one another? That some couples, even in their silver years (60 isn't the end of life, for goodness sake!) may choose to peacefully step away from what has been a lifeless marriage rather than continue the facade? Cynthia, are you serious in that you're wondering what "advantage" they may have for splitting up? I just...don't understand the judgment here.

Cynthia, are you serious in that you're sitting there wondering what "advantage" they may have for splitting up?

Yup! Call me a skeptic, but I've rarely seen a politician do something like this unless there was an advantage of some sort. Now if there were affairs, etc., I would have no problem with it. Heck, with all Clinton's dalliances, Hillary stuck with him (again, for what appears a political advantage because, if one can believe what one reads, life isn't exactly civil between them).

But, no, I'm not really sitting here wondering - rather it's just a train of thought to pass a few minutes on the web. I don't have any stake in whether their marriage stays together or not. From what I've read, they claim to still be good friends...makes me curious :huh:

Are you as gob-smacked at CBS Evening News asserting that Bush caused the separation (or that dang hanging chad?)?

Edited by CynthiaOK

Yup! Call me a skeptic, but I've rarely seen a politician do something like this unless there was an advantage of some sort. Now if there were affairs, etc., I would have no problem with it. Heck, with all Clinton's dalliances, Hillary stuck with him (again, for what appears a political advantage because, if one can believe what one reads, life isn't exactly civil between them).

But, no, I'm not really sitting here wondering - rather it's just a train of thought to pass a few minutes on the web. I don't have any stake in whether their marriage stays together or not. From what I've read, they claim to still be good friends...makes me curious :huh:

Here's a recommendation ~ which, as a skeptic, you really shouldn't need: Don't believe everything you read.

A few years ago, my parents divorced after 36 seemingly blissful years. Everyone was shocked. Once the dust settled, lots of information began to come out and once revealed, no one could believe they had stayed together 36 long years.

You just never know what goes on behind closed doors. Even doors you think are open, really are only partially cracked.

Even as an adult, it's still extremely difficult when your parents divorce. It still brings tears to my eyes to think of it. It's very sad.

Sad for the Gores. Sad for my Mom and Dad. Sad for me. Sad for the grandkids.

Just sad.