Menu

Does anyone use GWG?

I used it this year, and I liked it enough to use it again next year. I used GWG3 with my 3rd grader.

Pros: inexpensive

self- teaching

review built in

just enough work in one lesson to not be overwhelming

nice scope and sequence

Cons:

doesn't feel very "meaty"

it covers diagramming, but not near as much coverage as say, Rod and Staff

That said, I think I'll continue to use it from 2nd grade- 4th grade. In 5th, I'll switch to Hake Grammar, and in upper middle, I'll do Analytical Grammar. HTH!

I used it this year with my 4th and 6th graders. They both really enjoy it. We are continuing with it for next year. For writing we used Writing Strands this year. They enjoyed it but I can't say it was love. I am looking for a different program for the upcoming year.

We are just finishing GWG 2. I like it for this stage-it seems to cover all they need to know with just the right amount of material. I do quiz them every week to check for retention and they are remembering everything.

I can't speak for the upper grades, but we do plan to use level 3 next year.

We are finishing our first year with it for 4th and 6th grade. In the past I have used and liked Easy Grammar, Analytical Grammar and Stewart English and used and disliked Shurley English and Applications of Grammar.

My 6th grader does it independently and I go over it with her maybe once a week. I have seen a definite improvement in her writing and believe that it has been a good approach for her.

My 4th grader likes me to sit with him while he does it. In the past month or so I have discussed it with him before he starts and then gone over it when he has finished, which is going very well. I think he will be able to start working independently next year.

At this point, I am planning to have my 11yo use it through the 8th grade and then have her use Analytical in 9th and some Stewart for later years.

I like it because I think it is enough but not too much - exactly the amount of grammar I want my children to cover at these ages.

For writing I use WWE for my 4th and lots of outlining and rewriting for my 6th.

hth

I used it with great success for 3rd. It is a nice cross between something "heavy" like BJU and something "light" like Easy Grammar. But, it was not a hit for 4th. It was so similar to 3rd that dd began to dread grammar. She did not like having to repeat things she already knew. We did the bulk of the program in a semester because dd retained so much from GWG 3. So, the good news, there was a great deal of retention. The not so good news, the following year was very repetitious and boring due to the great retention! I'd still recommend it though. It is short and to the point. There is a nice balance is the workbook....

We used GWG2 a few years ago, skipped Year3, and now working on GWG4. It is pretty straight forward, and a gentle approach to grammar. Black and white pages, and lots of space to write. We complete one lesson a day / three times a week. Right now my daughter is working independently with GWG4. We review weekly, and the retention is there.

For writing we use Writing Tales. This is our first year, and it is WONDERFUL. Finally, a writing program that doesn't produce tears!

The stories are great. Not only does it include copywork, narrations, outlining, grammar and vocabulary, but there may be games to be played and pictures that need to be drawn. There are a variety of assignments to be completed that build up the finished product (the final draft) in a very gentle manner (and FUN... as my child describes it)

You see, my child is highly sensitive, highly anxious, and a perfectionist. She is an avid reader, however getting her to narrate and put her thoughts down on paper has always been a struggle. Also, I have to admit that writing has always been one of my weaknesses, and I was a little nervous having to try and "teach" my child how to write when it came time.

For us, WT works for both of us! :001_smile:

We used GWG3 for my dd8 this most recently ended school year. I would say that while dd8 didn't *love* it, it was a hit in our house. I liked it because:

1) the lessons aren't very long (two typed pgs in the student book)

2) eventually, my very-clingy, not-independent dd was able to do the lessons on her own (and this led to the willingness to do her math lessons after I explained the work mostly on her own. Before, she had to have me sitting next to her and paying attention to her every pencil-scratch even when she obviously didn't need any help).

and

3) it gave her a good introduction to grammar since I don't do grammar before 3rd grade.

She liked it because:

1) the lessons weren't very long, and

2) I only made her do three lessons per week (instead of making it daily work)

She didn't like the diagramming. She didn't like that the lines she was supposed to rewrite a sentence on were not big enough for her extremely large and unwieldy handwriting. She didn't like rewriting words or sentences when that was assigned.

I plan on using GWG3 when my next dd6 gets to 3rd grade. I plan to use WT1 next year as our writing+grammar together for fourth grade. We did a lot of narration/dictation in other subjects this year and I didn't feel that my dd8 needed a separate writing program.

I don't know if we will use any of the other levels of GWG later, but it remains a product that I endorse to help the mom with an independent grammar product to lighten their teaching load at least for one year in one subject. HTH.

We used it this year for 4th and 6th grades. We're actually still using it, as we are a bit behind, but should be finishing it up in the next month.

I like it a lot. It is easy to use, and is very straightforward. That is, it is almost completely about grammar, with very little "creative" writing. Both of my older two kids are very intimidated by creative writing, so I like to keep it separate from grammar. At this point I think they need this grammar practice as their foundation. I've already seen some progress in their writing since we started GWG.

Another thing I like about this program is the spiral binding on both the textbook and the workbook. Both books lie flat, and the workbook is spiral bound at the top, so even my left-handed DD can write in it without bumping into the binding. (Why aren't all workbooks designed this way?)