Menu

DVD vs. BluRay

So if you have the opportunity to buy a movie that you love on DVD or BluRay, which do you buy? I'm assuming you have a player that plays both.

What is your criteria for choosing the sometimes more-expensive BluRay over DVD?

Are BluRay discs really more resilient than DVDs?

I'm interested as well. I usually buy DVD because of price and also because our TV is old so we do not have HD. My dh wants me to buy Blu-Ray (we have a player to stream Netflix) because he says we will probably be getting a HD TV in the near future. I just seem to have a hard time shelling out the extra money.:tongue_smilie:

Blu-ray. We don't buy a whole lot of movies any more (the fact that more and more are available to stream instantly, and the fact that there aren't *that* many movies we really want taking up space in our lives), but when we do, I want the far superior clarity of Blu-ray.

If it's an action movie, definitely Blu-Ray. I just learned that LOTR is now available on Blu-Ray (yes, I'm apparently waaaay out of the loop) and we're certainly going to be buying that even though we already own the DVDs.

The quality of Blu-Ray is so much better than DVD, especially on a good quality big screen. :D

We rarely buy movies but now when we do it's Blu-Ray or sometimes $1 DVDs from garage sales if we really like the movie but it's not action focussed. We didn't buy the Planet Earth series in Blu-Ray and I regret that. :(

So if you have the opportunity to buy a movie that you love on DVD or BluRay, which do you buy? I'm assuming you have a player that plays both.

What is your criteria for choosing the sometimes more-expensive BluRay over DVD?

Are BluRay discs really more resilient than DVDs?

We just have one BluRay player...so it depends on what the movie is, and who is most likely to watch it where. If it is movie for the kids that will most likely be played in the game room...just DVD. If it is movie for the DH and I...or a movie bought for the entire family, and will most likely be watched in the living room on the big tv, then BluRay all the way.

I wish more companies would package their movies like Disney. Disney will sell packages that have the movie in DVD and BluRay...for the families like us who only have one BR player and also for people who do not have a BR player yet...but know they will get one in the future.

If we did not have an HD tv, I would not bother to spend the money on BluRay movies. BluRay players up convert DVDs very nicely. We have very few (if any) movies that we would replace with BluRay.

So far I have been able to get the packages that have both a dvd and a Blur-ray, so we have a dvd to watch on the 'puter (if the living room tv with the Blue-ray is taken!). Our son with autism also has a dvd player and tv in his room now ( when we upgraded our tv and got the Blue-ray/dvd player we gave him the old equipment - so he needs dvds). Otherwise, I am still buying mostly dvds - Blue-ray will be for stuff with great special effects. I am trying to resist "upgrading" some of my favorite films from DVD to Blue-Ray unless they are on sale (I did get the big Harry Potter special edition for the first film when Amazon had it half off.)

Edited by JFSinIL

Funny, I just get annoyed when I feel like I'm forced to pay extra for a "set" with both, when all I really want is one disk. (We have one tv and don't plan to change that at any point, so it doesn't matter whether we use the dvd or blu-ray.)

If it's an action movie, definitely Blu-Ray. I just learned that LOTR is now available on Blu-Ray (yes, I'm apparently waaaay out of the loop) and we're certainly going to be buying that even though we already own the DVDs.

The quality of Blu-Ray is so much better than DVD, especially on a good quality big screen. :D

We rarely buy movies but now when we do it's Blu-Ray or sometimes $1 DVDs from garage sales if we really like the movie but it's not action focussed. We didn't buy the Planet Earth series in Blu-Ray and I regret that. :(

Don't buy LOTR on Blu-Ray yet, it is only the theatrical edition. Wait and spend your money on the Director's cut. Loads more stuff on the director's cut. They did the same when the released them on standard DVD. They released the theatrical edition, waited a few months, then released the director's cut, after a lot of people had already bought the theatrical edition.

Are you kidding? I naven't even finished converting all of my VHS to DVD. Luckily, I have a dual player because I would say I still have about 100 VHS tapes that we still watch all the time. Of course, we still own vinyl as well. I really do hate change, especially when it costs me money. :glare: