Menu

how healthy is...

Well, it depends on the kind of tuna. As a general rule, the larger the species, the greater the mercury levels. Tuna sold fresh as steaks or for sushi tend to be the larger species. In canned tuna, there is chunk light tuna, white tuna and albacore (which, I guess is white tuna). The light tuna usually contains the smaller species like skipjack and tongol and these typically have less mercury in them. However, the label saying "light tuna" does not guarantee it is not one of the larger species (there may have been a larger catch of the large species, which sell at a premium, than what the market will bear, so they can legally process it and sell it as light.

I buy Trader Joe's Tongol tuna in water. I bought it once because I was there and needed it, and we liked it. Then I tried a big name brand that was on sale and it was SO fishy smelling! You know, when EVERYONE can tell what kind of sandwich you have? Yuck! So I stick with TJ's now, and now I know it's a little healthier, too.

I checked the TJ's website, and they are opening a store in Omaha soon - are you far from there?

Maybe a health food store carries tongol tuna?

J

I buy Trader Joe's Tongol tuna in water. I bought it once because I was there and needed it, and we liked it. Then I tried a big name brand that was on sale and it was SO fishy smelling! You know, when EVERYONE can tell what kind of sandwich you have? Yuck! So I stick with TJ's now, and now I know it's a little healthier, too.

I checked the TJ's website, and they are opening a store in Omaha soon - are you far from there?

J

we live 3 hours from Omaha and never go there...so I guess I am stuck whatever my store carries...UGH!

Thanks for explaining that! Maybe that's why Trader Joe's makes a point of it on their label. I just buy that one because it's cheap and not too smelly :).

J

I eat two cans of TJ tuna in olive oil a week. I have noticed a marked difference since starting to take in so many good oils. :001_smile: It's the only canned food I eat, other than a can of kidney beans when I need a short cut for chili, so I'm not too concerned. If that's the only way you can get fish, I'm sure the benefits must outweigh the risks!

we live 3 hours from Omaha and never go there...so I guess I am stuck whatever my store carries...UGH!

One trip would be worth it! (And surely they have some sort of museum or zoo or such to call it a field trip. :D) You could buy enough canned tuna to last a year. They also have great (and really cheap) frozen halibut and salmon. I drive 30-40 minutes every 4-6 weeks to get to Trader Joes and stock up. I make back the cost of the trip in the first aisle! :001_smile:

J

Please, please, PUH-LEASE tell me you are serious! I would happily drive to Omaha for Trader Joe's! You just made my day.

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

It's true! It's on the list of Midwest stores! Here's the info:

Omaha # 719 - Coming Soon!

10305 Pacific Street

Omaha, NE 68114

Trading Hours: TBD

Phone: TBD

The hours will be either 8 or 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., going by the hours of the other stores on the list.

Hope it opens REALLY soon!

J

I make a 3 hour each way trip to TJ's every 4-6 months. We probably look like weirdos that missed the turn for Sam's Club by the time we leave, but it makes it more cost effective. Omaha has an awesome zoo, so make a good long day of it and swing by TJ on the way home.