Menu

Is anyone using Apologia Elementary Science Anatomy?

I know this is new. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

Also, does anyone split up the books so that you are not doing the same subject for the whole year? Maybe half a year on two different books?

Also, any opinions on the student notebooks they sell?

Thanks,

lisa

I bought it and plan on using it this fall. I bought the notebook before I found out Jeannie Fulbright has some for free on her website that go with all of her books. I think the free ones are just as good as the ones you can buy. I am teaching a Botany co-op now with her free notebooking pages and the kids seemed to love the class and textbook.

http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/NotebookPages.html

I just got mine last week. I haven't looked through all of it, but it looks great so far. There are a lot of "Try This" boxes, with hands-on activities for further understanding of the lesson. The notebooking journal looks really good as well. There are notebooking pages, crosswords, questions, copywork, and more. Also, it looks like everything you need to make the mini-booklets is in the back.

I'm hoping that we can get through it in one semester so that we can do one of the others in the second semester. We have been using the Zoology books for the past few years but haven't read them cover to cover. We just used bits and pieces here and there, to go along with whatever we were studying at the time. I would like to eventually complete them, with the notebooking journals; but I wanted to give DC a break from animals for a while, so we're doing the Anatomy first and maybe the Botany next.

My copy just arrived this afternoon!!

I haven't opened it, so I can't comment about it yet. Hoping to have some quiet time soon to take a good look at it and begin to plan for how I will incorporate it into our next Science year.

After viewing some online samples I decided against purchasing the notebook.

We have it and are planning to use it next year. I was able to preview all their science books at a convention this month and this was the only book that I thought the notebooking pages were worth buying. They looked great! We'd been using the free ones to this point with the other books and they've worked well, but you can't beat the detail in the anatomy notebooking pages for purchase!

It doesn't take us a year to cover one of their books so my dd usually uses something else as well, this year The Elements by Ellen McHenry.

The free notebooking pages do not include any to accompany the anatomy volume. Perhaps she shall add some later. Perhaps she is procrastinating, in hopes the customers will purchase her newly-released printed notebook.

We shall start the book later this summer. I like what I see, with the exception of an annoying second half of the 14th (and final) chapter. We are Christians, but not Protestants. Her volume on flying creatures does not launch into prescriptive preaching, so I was not prepared for this.

Would you be willing to go into more detail about the last half of the final chapter?

The free notebooking pages do not include any to accompany the anatomy volume. Perhaps she shall add some later. Perhaps she is procrastinating, in hopes the customers will purchase her newly-released printed notebook.

We shall start the book later this summer. I like what I see, with the exception of an annoying second half of the 14th (and final) chapter. We are Christians, but not Protestants. Her volume on flying creatures does not launch into prescriptive preaching, so I was not prepared for this.

I bought it and plan on using it this fall. I bought the notebook before I found out Jeannie Fulbright has some for free on her website that go with all of her books. I think the free ones are just as good as the ones you can buy. I am teaching a Botany co-op now with her free notebooking pages and the kids seemed to love the class and textbook.

http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/NotebookPages.html

I just looked on her website and it says this book is not available yet. Where did you buy it? I didn't see it on Christian Book Discount either:confused:

thanks!!

lisa

I just looked on her website and it says this book is not available yet. Where did you buy it? I didn't see it on Christian Book Discount either:confused:

thanks!!

lisa

I bought the book and Notebooking Journal for anatomy from CBD. They said that the NJ wouldn't ship until June 14, but it shipped a day or two after the text did.

Would you be willing to go into more detail about the last half of the final chapter?

Please excuse me from doing so. :) I'm up front about being Orthodox Christian; however, that generally does not extend to my giving specific negative feedback details about Protestant curricula on a board where my answers would offend. Again, :) !

oh Yes!! No problem! I wouldn't want anyone to be offended either. I am planning to get this and was just wondering is all! Thanks!:D

Please excuse me from doing so. :) I'm up front about being Orthodox Christian; however, that generally does not extend to my giving specific negative feedback details about Protestant curricula on a board where my answers would offend. Again, :) !

I will share a little about the last half of Ch 14 without providing opinion on it. There are sections entitled: Personhood, In His Image, Apes and Apemen?, What About Cavemen?, Why Did God Create Me? and Grow In Wisdom. There's also a "purpose" exercise, a prayer journal exercise and a bible reading exercise. These are in addition to the usual What Do You Remember questions and notebooking activities.

As I stated, I will not proffer my opinion on those sections. I have read them, but I think individual parents should make their own decisions regarding the book.

Regarding my opinion of the book, I come from the viewpoint of nursing being my chosen vocation. I have a fairly extensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology. I do not have as extensive of a knowledge as a physician. I feel the book is thorough enough without being too overwhelming. I also like that it does not go into great detail regarding the reproductive systems. That can be saved for high school when the student is a little bit more mature. If I can find the time, I will dig out my A&P texts from college and compare them. Perhaps that would be helpful to some folks here who may be on the fence about the book.

We will be using this book in our Co-op next year long with fetal pig dissection toward the end of the second semester. It looks like a great book with just enough depth for an elementary or middle school student. I am not planning on using the notebooking journal at this time. I have used more than one Apologia elementary book in a year...we did Land animals and Flying creatures this year. Next year I will also be doing Astronomy at home and we are doing Botany during the summer.

I think it is some of her strongest work.

:iagree:

I haven't seen any of the other subjects' notebook/journals but we did buy each boy a notebook/journal for Anatomy. I was excited to see it (I absolutely abhor 3-ring binders and loose papers) spiral bound and the extras like the choice of three skin tones for a "personal person" touched my heart. There are clear overlays of anatomical systems that I couldn't produce at home which will add so much to the personal person activity. I think it will actually help my boys learn how to take notes better. I do think the notebook/journals are worth the money at least for the A & P book. I haven't seen others.

Oney (who is one post closer to not being a larvae)

Edited by Oney Jones

I am planning to use it next year with my two. I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but in case you are not aware, Apologia will also be publishing a junior journal to go along with the anatomy book. It will be more suitable for younger elementary students. There is a sample of it on the Elementary Apologia Yahoo group, and it looks really good too!

She has said that she will NOT be developing free notebooking pages for this, or future books. Just due to lack of time. Perhaps someone on the apologia yahoo group might be allowed to come up with the pages for this book, though.

I ordered both the book and the notebook. Not impressed with the notebook, myself. The Handwriting With Tears cursive for the copywork was enough to put ME in tears!! (HWT cursive, imho, is not "easy" for a child who didn't learn HWT cursive to READ. I had trouble deciphering some of the letters. Argh). So, I plan to make our own notebooking pages when we cover this book. Probably next year.

I didn't like the layout of this book, compared to the other 5 or 6 Apologia elem. books we have - but will hopefully get used to it (the blue stripe at the top alone...). :)

The content looked excellent! I'm only putting it off until next year so my youngest can be in 3rd grade and a little more ready for the information. I'll be working with him and his 6th grade sister that year. :)

We are going to use this for "health." I am excited...of course, there's a lot my Ker (in the fall) will not be doing but I really enjoyed looking at the illustrations/photos, and all the ideas in it. VERY exciting to me, and my DD (who will be in 2nd in the fall) likes the look of it and the journal too. It definitely (at least for us) will not be done in a year, at least I don't think so!

I have it, but haven't started it yet.

I think this one is much heavier in the Christian/Creation POV then her other 2 books I have (Astronomy and ZooI).

It is meaty imHo. I can't wait to show my mom, who is a nurse...she will have some fun discussing bodily functions with my dc.:001_smile: