Menu

"How do we spell...."

Right there with you on this one. All I can say is, it has been a direct precursor to starting with C-V-C words. He is now reading the level 1 BOB books very successfully. I guess it's a decoding thing. But it drives a person :001_huh:

With a kiddo like that I'd label everything around the house. Put a bunch of index cards, masking tape and a marker in a basket for whenever "how do you spell?" strikes. You can then teach your child how to "read the room" by finding and reading the labels. For fun you can provide some big glasses with the lenses popped out and a fun pointer or a yardstick for pointing to the words.

I miss the days of when I actually could spell the words the kids asked about...now they asked for words I can't spell!

With a kiddo like that I'd label everything around the house. Put a bunch of index cards, masking tape and a marker in a basket for whenever "how do you spell?" strikes. You can then teach your child how to "read the room" by finding and reading the labels. For fun you can provide some big glasses with the lenses popped out and a fun pointer or a yardstick for pointing to the words.

I miss the days of when I actually could spell the words the kids asked about...now they asked for words I can't spell!

I think it would drive DH crazy though. He gets annoyed with all of the 'art projects' that hang everywhere... and I mean everywhere... in the house.

My 4yo has been driving me crazy with the way she "reads" books.

It goes like this: "Mama, I'm going to read this book. You're going to help me. What word is this? O-N-C-E Okay, now what word is this? U-P-O-N What word is this? A Okay, now what word is this? T-I-M-E" and it goes on and on and on, one word at a time. She'll continue for upwards of 30 minutes, I kid you not. Drives me up the wall.

This cruel and unusual form of torture has motivated me to get out Phonics Pathways and start working through it with her. ;)

But, do you have to spell them at the excruciating rate of 1 letter every 5 to 10 seconds?

That is my son's current preferred rate, it's very annoying. My daughter sometimes answers for me, she doesn't find it as annoying.

My husband wanders off after one word.

My 4.5 year old DD is EXACTLY like this. She wants to spell... everything.

I love that she's so interested in learning, but it really can drive me crazy! Especially when she asks "What's the longest word Mommy?" "uhm.... antidisestablishmentarianism" "Okay Mommy... spell that!" ........... hahah.

We played like that for awhile, now I use the chance to turn some of the CVC words back on her. For every word she'll spell, I spell 1, 2, or 3... depending on what kind of mood she's in that day!

But, do you have to spell them at the excruciating rate of 1 letter every 5 to 10 seconds?

That is my son's current preferred rate, it's very annoying. My daughter sometimes answers for me, she doesn't find it as annoying.

My husband wanders off after one word.

:lol: I shall now count my blessings!

My 4yo has been driving me crazy with the way she "reads" books.

It goes like this: "Mama, I'm going to read this book. You're going to help me. What word is this? O-N-C-E Okay, now what word is this? U-P-O-N What word is this? A Okay, now what word is this? T-I-M-E" and it goes on and on and on, one word at a time. She'll continue for upwards of 30 minutes, I kid you not. Drives me up the wall.

This cruel and unusual form of torture has motivated me to get out Phonics Pathways and start working through it with her. ;)

When I read, DD does this thing where she repeats what I say about 0.5 behind me so it sounds like I'm on stage and am catching the feedback from the speakers! AAAAAHHHHH!